Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

BREAKING NEWS! Spin off(Update) to the Homeschooling is a not a basic right? Post.....

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:07 PM
  • 98 Replies
1 mom liked this

BREAKING NEWS!!! The Romeikes can stay!!!

Today, a Supervisor with the Department of Homeland Security called a member of our legal team to inform us that the ...Romeike family has been granted "indefinite deferred status". This means that the Romeikes can stay in the United States permanently (unless they are convicted of a crime, etc.)

This is an incredible victory that can only be credited to our Almighty God.

We also want to thank those of who spoke up on this issue--including that long ago White House petition. We believe that the public outcry made this possible while God delivered the victory.

This is an amazing turnaround in 24 hours. Praise the Lord.

Proverbs 21: 1 "The king's heart is like a stream of water directed by the Lord, He guides it wherever He pleases."
~~Michael Farris

by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:12 PM
3 moms liked this

Hey - Homeland Security is good for something.

At least there are some compassionate people there who understand religious persecution.

GLWerth
by Gina on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:18 PM
15 moms liked this

So, now to get asylum, all a family has to do is say "I want to homeschool in the US" and they get asylum! Awesome.

Though, I'm betting that only applies to white, European types who want to do "Christian" home schooling.

SallyMJ
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Clearly, you have not been paying attention to this story, to say something like that.

Let me guess: You are a lib/prog/Democrat. Truly amazing, isn't it? We couldn't do that if you guys weren't so damn predictably intolerant.

How can you live with yourself?

Quoting GLWerth:

So, now to get asylum, all a family has to do is say "I want to homeschool in the US" and they get asylum! Awesome.

Though, I'm betting that only applies to white, European types who want to do "Christian" home schooling.

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope someone overturns this bs. So ridiculous...

GLWerth
by Gina on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:36 PM
8 moms liked this

These people were not in danger. They were not being oppressed, they were not in danger of life or limb in their home country.

Boo fucking hoo, I can't home school without meeting stringent guidelines! Oh, the tyranny of paperwork.

Asylum is for people who NEED it. These people did not need it.

You can read story after story of people being denied asylum and returning to certain death. But, of course, these people, who are being bankrolled by the "Christian" right are the ones who get asylum because of...paperwork.

How do I live with myself? Just fine. I'm actually able to recognize persecution.

This family did not experience it.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Clearly, you have not been paying attention to this story, to say something like that.

Let me guess: You are a lib/prog/Democrat. Truly amazing, isn't it? We couldn't do that if you guys weren't so damn predictably intolerant.

Quoting GLWerth:

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:41 PM

They have to be persecuted in their country for such a choice. Just as a gay person would likely be granted asylum from Russia, although I imagine with all that is going on that would require greater scrutiny. A witch would be granted asylum from Africa as well as the Middle East. All those cases are if they hold to the laws of granting such. I will be very interested to see how this all plays out. They often grant asylum to many many foreigners. They very often are not white. There must be a very strong post I just haven't gotten to about being christian and white on the board today, just judging by the ones I have seen.

Edit to add info: Homeschooling is illegal in Germany with rare exceptions. Mandatory school attendance has been in place since 1918.[54] The requirement to attend school has been upheld, on challenge from parents, by the Federal Constitutional Court of Germany. Parents violating the laws have primarily or most prominently been Christians seeking a more religious education than that offered by the schools.[1][55] Sanctions against these parents have included fines of thousands of euros, successful legal actions to remove children from the parents' custody, and prison sentences.[1][55] It has been estimated that 600 to 1,000 German children are homeschooled, despite its illegality.[56]

The European Court endorsed a "carefully reasoned" decision of the German court concerning "the general interest of society to avoid the emergence of parallel societies based on separate philosophical convictions and the importance of integrating minorities into society."[57]

And that last bit is probably the swaying for the petition

Quoting GLWerth:

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:47 PM
It was not because of paperwork. You can't just do extra paper work and homeschool in Germany. It was either hand your children over to us for 30 some odd hours a week, or we will take them by force, permanently.

They had a large US group behind them who knew how to work within the system, I'm sure other asylum seekers do as well (who aren't white and Christian), It's heartbreaking that with out representation, some would get sent home (or possibly to another country that may take them?), but we're not discussing any of those cases, we're discussing this one.

Quoting GLWerth:

These people were not in danger. They were not being oppressed, they were not in danger of life or limb in their home country.

Boo fucking hoo, I can't home school without meeting stringent guidelines! Oh, the tyranny of paperwork.

You can read story after story of people being denied asylum and returning to certain death. But, of course, these people, who are being bankrolled by the "Christian" right are the ones who get asylum because of...paperwork.

How do I live with myself? Just fine. I'm actually able to recognize persecution.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting GLWerth:

SallyMJ
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:47 PM
3 moms liked this

Not every danger is life and limb. Religious freedom ranks way up there for many of us.

The family was in danger of having their kids taken away by the state if they continued to insist on home schooling them.

Had nothing to do with paperwork. The German government said NO.

Might want to read more carefully, in order to comment accurately.

Quoting GLWerth:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting GLWerth:

romalove
by Roma on Mar. 4, 2014 at 7:10 PM
8 moms liked this
They were not being persecuted. Their Bible was not being removed. They were not told they could not worship or attend services. They were not told they couldn't teach their children whatever they wanted about religion at home. They were told they had to comply with their mandatory school laws.
supermonstermom
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Others immigrants get assylum for less.

I am glad they can stay and homeschool their children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN