Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should 3rd graders caught smoking pot at school be expelled?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:56 AM
  • 43 Replies

3rd Graders Caught Smoking Pot in School Bathroom​ (3rd Graders!)

by Jenny Erikson

Marijuana LeafTwo 8-year-olds and a 9-year-old are facing possible expulsion from Sonora Elementary School in California for the shenanigans they pulled in the school’s bathroom last week. It seems that the third-graders were caught smoking pot.

Third-graders. Smoking. Pot. I’m not even really sure where to go with that information. How did they get it? Where was the teacher? How did they even know how to smoke it? Don’t they know they’re not supposed to play with lighters?

The kids were caught by a fellow classmate, who alerted school administrators (this is one time tattling is OK, kids). The police were contacted because, hi, California is a pretty progressive state, but recreational marijuana still isn’t legal here, even for the grownups. The cops questioned the kids (oh to be a fly on the wall during that interrogation), and they were later released to their parents.

More from The Stir: Kindergarteners Caught 'Having Sex' in Bathroom -- Where Was the Teacher?!

Principal Chris Boyles refused to comment on the incident. Superintendent Leigh Shampain confirmed that “the students were caught smoking marijuana in the school’s bathroom,” but declined to discuss what discipline measures will be taken.

At least one parent at the school thinks they shouldn’t be allowed back. Linda Rodriguez told a local news station, “(I’m) shocked. To be in third grade and have their own pipe ... I think they should be expelled, but I also think they should follow it further to where they found (the drugs).”

Isn’t that the real question? In theory, third-graders should know “hugs not drugs,” but without an example to follow, how would they even know how to smoke pot? Yes, they are responsible for behaving very badly, but they got that dope from somewhere. Whoever was the original possessor of the pot bears some responsibility too.

Did you think these children should be expelled?

by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this

No, they shouldn't be. 

dalbax2
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:04 AM
3 moms liked this
Yes. Drug use in schools not to mention smoking.
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:22 AM
3 moms liked this

Yes. We busted 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders smoking in the bathroom during after lunch recess more than once and they were expelled. Kids smoking happens all the time, they steal it from sibling and parents and want to share to look cool. If these kids get kicked out for smoking cigs then the kids in the story should most definitely be expelled for pot...and made to take some drug classes or something before they can return!

lga1965
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:39 AM
5 moms liked this
Yes,of course and their parents need to take mandatory parenting classes and drug screening.
This is absurd. 3rd graders ?
Sick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommieof38829
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes
mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:36 AM
2 moms liked this

This is pretty sad.  Yes, they should be expelled.  And the parents need to be investigated.  3rd graders...wow.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:39 AM
2 moms liked this

released to their parents??? WTF> thats the most offensive part of the story!

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know about being expelled but I certainly hope the parents were questioned as well.

The whole legality of it means nothing to me.  No child should be carrying around a pipe and weed, much less smoking it.

*sigh*

supermonstermom
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:47 AM
3 moms liked this

Where did they get the pot? and they were released to their parents? They should be taken away from the parents until an assessment can be made as to where they got the pot.

They should be arrested for possesion and expelled.

Where was the  adult supervision?

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:57 AM
2 moms liked this

yes.

Depends if the school has it in their rules, smoking is smoking but if it isn't for smoking directly, then it should be for the lighter.

Kids are expelled for far less.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN