Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Posted this in another group. Should he be tried as an adult or a juvenile?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:04 AM
  • 22 Replies
In 1998 Robbie Middleton was 8 years old and was dosed with gasoline and set on fire. He was burned over 99% of his body and in 2011 succumbed to a cancer that only burn victims get.

Don Collins was 13 in 1998 and that's who Robbie said burned him, until now there was never enough evidence to prosecute Don.

The motive given for dousing Robbie and setting him on fire was to cover up the fact that Don had sexually assaulted Robbie 2 weeks before the incident.

A judge today ruled that Don will be tried as an adult rather than a juvenile.

Don had previously served a prison sentence for molesting another young boy.

So based on these facts do you feel Don Collins should be tried as an adult or a juvenile.

The difference in the two means if he is tried as a juvenile his sentence will be lighter and they can not seek the death penalty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Roxygurl
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Mobile Photo

This is Robbie Middleton
Roxygurl
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Mobile Photo

This is Robbie before the fire.
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

He needs to tried as an adult and have gas thrown on him and set on fire. What a disgusting person

CorbinsMumma
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:08 AM
I agree with the judge
Roxygurl
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:13 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:15 AM
2 moms liked this

He was a juvenile when it happened, he should be tried as the person he was at the time of the crime

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Yes, he should be tried as an adult.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Oh my Lord!  Poor kid.

Some people are just sick.  Why? What are we doing to kids to cause them to be so awful, as a society?

Quoting Roxygurl:

Mobile Photo

This is Robbie Middleton

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:36 AM
I have a really hard time justifying trying kids as adults, but man, those pics broke my heart.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Quoting Roxygurl: In 1998 Robbie Middleton was 8 years old and was dosed with gasoline and set on fire. He was burned over 99% of his body and in 2011 succumbed to a cancer that only burn victims get. Don Collins was 13 in 1998 and that's who Robbie said burned him, until now there was never enough evidence to prosecute Don. The motive given for dousing Robbie and setting him on fire was to cover up the fact that Don had sexually assaulted Robbie 2 weeks before the incident. A judge today ruled that Don will be tried as an adult rather than a juvenile. Don had previously served a prison sentence for molesting another young boy. So based on these facts do you feel Don Collins should be tried as an adult or a juvenile. The difference in the two means if he is tried as a juvenile his sentence will be lighter and they can not seek the death penalty.

I will look for more on this as this seems to be a portion of a story and not the full.

Based on this, yes, I think he should be tried as an adult. The act was heinous in nature (attempted murder by fire) and it was to cover up another horrific crime.

What is the new evidence?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN