Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Are you gluten free?  Are your kids?  

Have you found it to be beneficial?  If you have them, share some of your favorite GF sites/recipes.  

If you are, I wanted to share this new cookbook that was just released.  I have no vested interest in this, I just really like their cookbooks and wanted to share.  

http://www.amazon.com/The-How-Gluten-Free-Cookbook/dp/1936493616/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1394122330&sr=8-1 

by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:38 AM
Replies (11-20):
tanyainmizzou
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:55 AM

They don't.   That is why I was concerned about them following the school nutrition guidelines for kids' meals.   Then again, we almost never go there unless we are at the DWF airport.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley: I'm not sure... I bet you could look on their website though.
Quoting lga1965: Wow !!! Sounds wonderful. Do they have gluten free sandwiches too ? I haven't been there in.months.
Quoting Mommy_of_Riley: Sidenote... Subway has gluten free brownies that are delicious!

bluevelvetKS
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Diagnosed celiac at age 32, but gluten free for about 8 years previous to that. DEFINITELY helped. I was a zombie on gluten. I can tell if something was cross-contaminated with gluten now because of how I feel :(  I don't make a whole lot of special things and don't buy GF cookbooks. I just make basic foods or paleo, which I feel, tastes better :)

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I went gluten free for a while.  I did feel better, but it was expensive and I had a hard time getting the family to switch.  Now I just try to limit my gluten-or carbs- to feel better.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:59 AM

I'm going to look into that cookbook.  My kids have no issues but my son's girlfriend has celiac disease and has to eat gluten free. I've been finding receipes on-line for things we can cook that she can actually eat. I've noticed recently that some of the larger stores are beginning to carry more gluten free products for which I am thankful. Currently I have a stash of gluten free items like flour and I found some gluten free noodles at a small organic type store.

Son's girlfriends mom told me recently that GMO items have up to 4 times more gluten than non-GMO. I certainly have zero knowledge about gluten content in the foods we've always eaten but being as she and her daughter have celiac, I figure she knows what she's talking about

lga1965
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Good idea !

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley: I'm not sure... I bet you could look on their website though.

Quoting lga1965: Wow !!! Sounds wonderful. Do they have gluten free sandwiches too ? I haven't been there in.months.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley: Sidenote...
Subway has gluten free brownies that are delicious!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Celiac and GF for almost 7 years now...the smallest bit and my weekend is ruined :)

I dont' buy a lot of packaged gf items, mostly just pasta but even corn pasta upsets me sometimes. I eat a lot of real food and have become quite the 'foodie'....gf doesn't mean expensive or gross, it means learning to be creative and enjoy what you CAN have!

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:15 PM
2 moms liked this

It is really a much healthier way to live if you do it "right" way and don't buy into all the "new healthy" gluten options. 

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley: Most foods are naturally gluten free. :-) We eat a lot of food from our own garden and local farmers so I guess were mostly "gluten free"...
Quoting babyspots17:

My grandmother (who died in 1996) was Gluten free for most of her life.  She cooked and ate "Gluten Free" way before it became the new cool thing. 

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:21 PM

My MIL has been "gluten free" for about 5 years now, even though she was tested - twice and it was confirmed she has no allergy. She's also admitted that she sees no changes in her health since she started it, but wishes to continue the diet. I suspect she's just been using it as an excuse to loose weight. Which so far hasn't worked. At all.

Ladyteancum
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

My son and I are both gluten free. My son has a intolerance to wheat. Somehow it turns into an acid in his body. My poor little guy was in so much pain all the time before we figured it out. He also had ear infections all the time. His ear drum was retracted with fluidon it. Three days off and he was so much better. It will try to eat it every now and then. He hurts for days. I went GF a year ago. I finally got pregnant again after trying for 5 years. crazy....

Mommathome2012
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:53 PM
Yes we are I have uc , I try to be gluten free everything but hard st times. My son has had issues tio
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)