Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Are you gluten free?  Are your kids?  

Have you found it to be beneficial?  If you have them, share some of your favorite GF sites/recipes.  

If you are, I wanted to share this new cookbook that was just released.  I have no vested interest in this, I just really like their cookbooks and wanted to share.  

http://www.amazon.com/The-How-Gluten-Free-Cookbook/dp/1936493616/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1394122330&sr=8-1 

by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:38 AM
Replies (21-30):
Mommathome2012
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:53 PM
Yes we are I have uc , I try to be gluten free everything but hard st times. My son has had issues tio
4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Barilla now has a GF pasta and my mom says she can't tell the difference between it and the regular stuff.  

Quoting Woodbabe:

Celiac and GF for almost 7 years now...the smallest bit and my weekend is ruined :)

I dont' buy a lot of packaged gf items, mostly just pasta but even corn pasta upsets me sometimes. I eat a lot of real food and have become quite the 'foodie'....gf doesn't mean expensive or gross, it means learning to be creative and enjoy what you CAN have!

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:32 PM

My mom went GF about 16 years ago before there was a big push towards GF products.  She made the decision to try it shortly after being diagnosed with MS.  At the time science/doctors were poo-pooing the idea that it would have any impact but now 16 years later they are starting to see that it has produced benefits for some MS patients and aren't so quick to dismiss it as a fad.  

In the 17.5 years since her diagnosis she has had nearly no degeneration.  When she fell last year they did an CAT scan of her head and the lesions that had been present 17 years ago where gone completely.  

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:33 PM

That's great, that you are seeing a benefit with the diet change!  

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

My son grew almost 6 inches in one year when we were told he needed to go GF.   He could actually absorb vitamins and calories instead of constantly having issues.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:34 PM

This GF flour has been highly recommended and although it's pricey it doesn't appear to be any more so than the other GF flours on the market as you get more in one package.  

http://www.cup4cup.com/

lady-J-Rock
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:35 PM
They make rice and corn flour and that is gf. I buy gf pasta and bread. Kids won't touch the bread but they don't notice a difference in the pasta.

Quoting lga1965: Flour has Gluten . So breads, pasta, most desserts aren't Gluten free. Unfortunately. :-(

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley: Most foods are naturally gluten free. :-)

We eat a lot of food from our own garden and local farmers so I guess were mostly "gluten free"...

Quoting babyspots17:

My grandmother (who died in 1996) was Gluten free for most of her life.  She cooked and ate "Gluten Free" way before it became the new cool thing. 

finnbar
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:36 PM
I have been gluten free for ten years as of this past January. I don't think I have celiac, just an extreme intollerance. If I eat half a teddy graham, it shows the next day. I will be bloated about the face and soooo ugly looking and feeling. I also avoid corn. It depresses me.

This all came on during college. My Junior year I dropped out after one semester because of how tired and sick I was. I overflowed with mucus. It was disgusting. I went home and got a job at Quiznos. One little four hour lunch shift wiped me out. I started waking up at night breathless, needing to cough up phlegm in order to breath. I really think I would have drowned in snot by now if I still ate gluten.

My Mom suggested a food alleryy and said try an ellimination diet. I remember thinking "I am 23 and my life is over, what do I have to lose?"
Went gluten free cold turkey one Monday. By Thursday, I was myself again. It was astounding. I lost 10 pounds the first month, no exercising or dieting.

I do not go crazy buying the substitutes. I keep Udi's bread, the chia/ millet or multigrain, around because I loooooove sandwiches. I can get their hamburger or hotdog buns but a bunless entree is just as good in my opinion! I use Tinkyada noodles, the spinach are my favorite. We don't eat pasta everyweek tho. I keep several flours on hand for when I MUST have a cookie or muffin. Lack of time and laziness keep that from happening more than once a month, if that.

We eat a lot of vegetables and meat. We are not big on casseroles. Starches are potatoes or rice. I love quinoa cooked in broth but the husband and son remain unconverted lol
tanyainmizzou
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:39 PM
That is what I use. It is decent enough, but my son doesn't remember the difference with regular bread and cupcakes and brownies.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

This GF flour has been highly recommended and although it's pricey it doesn't appear to be any more so than the other GF flours on the market as you get more in one package.  

http://www.cup4cup.com/

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Ugh, that sounds like it was horrible.  I'm glad you were able to get relief.   When my mom started being GF there were no substitute products on the market at that time so it really was cold turkey without replacement.  It certainly made us think about food prep differently.   Now the products are there and we buy a few of them but overall we have really adapted to it and have found it isn't hard to be GF.   

Quoting finnbar: I have been gluten free for ten years as of this past January. I don't think I have celiac, just an extreme intollerance. If I eat half a teddy graham, it shows the next day. I will be bloated about the face and soooo ugly looking and feeling. I also avoid corn. It depresses me. This all came on during college. My Junior year I dropped out after one semester because of how tired and sick I was. I overflowed with mucus. It was disgusting. I went home and got a job at Quiznos. One little four hour lunch shift wiped me out. I started waking up at night breathless, needing to cough up phlegm in order to breath. I really think I would have drowned in snot by now if I still ate gluten. My Mom suggested a food alleryy and said try an ellimination diet. I remember thinking "I am 23 and my life is over, what do I have to lose?" Went gluten free cold turkey one Monday. By Thursday, I was myself again. It was astounding. I lost 10 pounds the first month, no exercising or dieting. I do not go crazy buying the substitutes. I keep Udi's bread, the chia/ millet or multigrain, around because I loooooove sandwiches. I can get their hamburger or hotdog buns but a bunless entree is just as good in my opinion! I use Tinkyada noodles, the spinach are my favorite. We don't eat pasta everyweek tho. I keep several flours on hand for when I MUST have a cookie or muffin. Lack of time and laziness keep that from happening more than once a month, if that. We eat a lot of vegetable and meat. We are not big on casseroles. Starches are potatoes or rice. I live quinoa cooked in broth but the husband and son remain unconverted lol

finnbar
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:40 PM
If anyone uses tapioca or sweet rice flour, the best place to buy those is an Asian market. They are a fraction of the price of the big gluten free brands
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN