Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Couple Arrested After Skeleton Of 3-Year-Old Son Found In Toy Chest

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:21 PM
  • 52 Replies

Couple Arrested After Skeleton Of 3-Year-Old Son Found In Toy Chest

article image

An Arizona couple was arrested Tuesday after a landlord cleaning out their former home found the skeleton of a toddler inside a toy chest.

Raquel Barreras, 39, was charged with the murder of her son, Roman. Her husband Martin Barreras, 45, was charged with child abuse.

Tuscon police said the couple and their other four children were thrown out of their triplex earlier this year.

While the landlord was clearing out the ramshackle building he found a skeleton in a plastic blue toy chest located in “an attached structure” outside of the home, Tucson Police Chief Roberto Villasenor said in a press conference Wednesday.

Villasenor said investigators believe the 3-year-old Roman was forced to live in the structure outside of the home.

"How anyone could do that to someone is very difficult to understand," Villasenor said. "We want to make sure we're very thorough in investigating this type of case."

Police visited the home in the past when the Barreras’ other children were missing school. However they reported “there were never indications of any physical abuse.”

"But since the reports involved the school age children, there was nothing that came through about Roman," Villasenor said.

"They never went out in the day, you never saw the adults," neighbor Miguel Rabago told local News 13. “They moved in at three in the morning. Everything they did they did at night or two or three in the morning. It was really kind of weird."

The couple’s two young daughters, 7 and 4, and a son, 12, were placed into the custody of child welfare agents. The oldest child, a 19-year-old daughter, was not.

Medical examines have not yet released a cause of death.

Sources: New York Daily News, News 13

by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:24 PM
Wth is wrong with people how sad
finnbar
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:13 PM
2 moms liked this
That is awful :*(

My son is three, I cannot imagine doing that to him
ShannaBee
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this
What the hell. I can't. Ugh. I just can't understand how people can hurt children.
ladybugchick317
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:16 PM

What the hell is wrong with people????

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:26 PM

How awful. Sounds like the book "Rebecca's Key", where a child hid from the Nazis in a chest and didn't make it out.   

O_oohUDon_TSay
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:29 PM
Sickening!!
Bethsunshine
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:35 PM

What is wrong with people?!?

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:37 PM

OMG!  That is just reprehensible!  I don't understand how anyone can do that :(

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:38 PM
3 moms liked this

I have a two-year-old. Reading stuff like this just makes my heart hurt.

What the hell is wrong with people? If they didn't want to care for their son, why didn't they give him to someone who would love him the way he deserved to be loved?

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:40 PM

:( So sad. We have some sick people in this world.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)