Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A Letter From Ray Jasper, Who Is About to Be Executed in Texas

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 2:05 PM
  • 20 Replies

Texas death row inmate Ray Jasper is scheduled to be put to death on March 19. He has written us a letter that, he acknowledges, "could be my final statement on earth." It is well worth your time.

Ray Jasper was convicted of participating in the 1998 robbery and murder of recording studio owner David Alejandro. A teenager at the time of the crime, Jasper was sentenced to death. He wrote to us once before, as part of our Letters from Death Row series. That letter was remarkable for its calmness, clarity, and insight into life as a prisoner who will never see freedom. We wrote back and invited him to share any other thoughts he might have. Today, we received the letter below. Everyone should read it.

http://gawker.com/a-letter-from-ray-jasper-who-is-about-to-be-executed-1536073598

by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:08 PM
3 moms liked this

No thanks.

I read "In the Belly of the Beast."  Then the author was released from prison and killed someone else.

I am all for projects such as the Innocence Project and pulling death row inmates off of death row/out of prison when they are found to actually be innocent. NO innocent person should be executed...EVER.

And I am against extreme sentencing, especially as it tends to be meted out unfairly.

But I just don't feel like reading pages upon pages written by a murderer, however well-spoken, about how rotten prison is.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this 100%

Quoting Seasidegirl:

No thanks.

I read "In the Belly of the Beast."  Then the author was released from prison and killed someone else.

I am all for projects such as the Innocence Project and pulling death row inmates off of death row/out of prison when they are found to actually be innocent. NO innocent person should be executed...EVER.

And I am against extreme sentencing, especially as it tends to be meted out unfairly.

But I just don't feel like reading pages upon pages written by a murderer, however well-spoken, about how rotten prison is.

Sapient.Quaff
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

A Letter From Ray Jasper, Who Is About to Be Executed

Sapient.Quaff
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Sapient.Quaff
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 4:01 PM
3 moms liked this

Ray was recording a rap album at the studio. Ray planned the murder. Ray booked the studio time. Ray recruited the co-defendants. Ray actually slit the guys throat but when THAT didn't kill him, Ray's accomplice finished the job.

He literally planned a murder, set it up, lured the guy there under false circumstances, AND SLIT HIS THROAT. He then held the victim down as his friends stabbed him repeatedly in the stomach.

Now that his time has come, he's trying to cause a media stir. But did you notice he never mentions the victim? His family? The lives torn apart by his thought-out execution of another human being?

Nope.

This isn't a race thing. It's a murderer who fundamentally doesn't believe he did something wrong, can't comprehend how his actions have led him here.  And YES, he is a danger to society.

Should he be put to death? I honestly don't know. I am conflicted with the death penalty. I want to believe that all should have a chance at redemption. But this man has no empathy for the victim, nor their family. He still doesn't seem to want to admit his wrong doings, the horror he inflicted on another. It's all about him and how he's been wronged and because of that, I do believe he should never see the light of day again.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 4:08 PM
5 moms liked this

That letter seriously made me want to vomit.  Not a single bit of personal responsibility in that little fucker. 

angelsunawarre
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Perhaps he would like to hear how this has affected the family of the murder victim.  up to the end he will throw a pity party and blame everyone else for it.

ceefdee77
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this
TerraIncognita
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:05 AM
Thank you for posting this.

Quoting ceefdee77:

I prefer this equally well written letter from his victim's brother.

http://steven-alejandro.kinja.com/a-discussion-of-the-ray-jasper-death-row-issue-from-a-f-1536676452/1536918396/+hamilton_nolan

pookietooth
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Nothing he said in that letter will get him out of prison, or out of his death sentence. He will die -- it's Texas, after all!

Quoting Seasidegirl:

No thanks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)