Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Florida man invokes ‘Stand your ground’ after shooting sheriff’s deputy

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 1:42 AM
  • 35 Replies

By David Ferguson
Friday, March 7, 2014 13:00 EST

A man holding a gun directly at the viewer via Shutterstock.com

A Pensacola, FL court is set to decide on Friday whether 24-year-old Keenan Finkelstein is criminally liable for shooting a deputy sheriff in the leg in March of 2013. According to the Pensacola News-Journal, Finkelstein and his defense team are pinning their hopes on the controversial “Stand Your Ground” law.

On the night of March 20, 2013, Escambia County Sheriff’s Deputy Sgt. Shedrick Johnson and other police officers were searching on foot for a robbery suspect in the Scenic Hills area of Pensacola. A robbery victim told police that someone from a home located on the 8800 block of Burning Tree Road had stolen marijuana and a handgun from his residence.

Police converged on the home and saw Finkelstein — who was not the subject the police were searching for — emerge from the house’s garage. Sgt. Johnson said that he emerged from a hiding place behind a tree and identified himself as a sheriff’s deputy.

Finkelstein produced a gun and fired, striking Johnson in the leg.

Finkelstein’s attorney Brandon Moros is arguing along with his client that Johnson emerged from the shadows without identifying himself and that Finkelstein fired in self-defense. Moros contends that Finkelstein’s actions were justified under “Stand Your Ground.”

Witness testimony is expected to last through the day on Friday. Judge Terry Terrell will then decide whether to drop charges against Finkelstein or allow his case to proceed to a criminal trial.

http://www.rawstory.com/...

by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 1:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Mar. 8, 2014 at 2:15 AM
1 mom liked this

DAMNIT FLORIDA!!!! 

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:06 AM
2 moms liked this

I hope this gets the attention it needs. Wow so now the police in Florida are targets for legalized murder - fantastic.

supermonstermom
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

How many people plead insanity?  How many people are actually insane?  We should ban together to ban the insanity defense?

Just because someone pleads stand you ground, doesn't mean it was justified.  Just ask Mr. Dunn.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:26 AM

It's not so much that people try and use it as a defense, it's the way the law is written that makes it a great defense to use. It's an extreme. All you have to feel is threatened. That's pretty much it. They have to either modify this law or do away with it all together. There are some real bullshit laws out there and this is one of them. And that pendulum swings both ways on stupid laws. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe in Massachusetts if someone breaks in to your house, YOU have to find a way out. You don't shoot them, fight them, or anything, you find an available escape route and you leave. That's real proper stupid. Florida just went to the next extreme. If I were a betting lady, I'd bet Michael Dunn would've gotten away with all of it had their been no witnesses.

Quoting supermonstermom:

How many people plead insanity?  How many people are actually insane?  We should ban together to ban the insanity defense?

Just because someone pleads stand you ground, doesn't mean it was justified.  Just ask Mr. Dunn.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:26 AM

in reply to the post

FUCKING FLORIDA. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!!!?????

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Quoting ashellbell:

in reply to the post

FUCKING FLORIDA. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!!!?????

it's in the water.. It has to be

Patti-Gee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 6:52 PM
5 moms liked this

I shot the Sheriff is running through my mind.  

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 6:58 PM

In general, I agree.  The media is fixated on this topic right now, but if you look at the archives, it hasn't changed much.  It's just that EVERY single case of it is being put on the mass media sites right now because it generates traffic.

BUT

I do think the laws need a serious looking at.  Some are so vaguely worded and open that it becomes a real challenge to really apply the laws effectively.  I get that they want people to feel safe protecting their lives and property, but just "feeling threatened" is open to many interpretations.  I feel threatened often due to my PTSD.  I can't just pop off everyone I feel threatened by.

Quoting supermonstermom:

ashellbell
by shellbark on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:01 PM
2 moms liked this

You can in Florida.       happy

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

In general, I agree.  The media is fixated on this topic right now, but if you look at the archives, it hasn't changed much.  It's just that EVERY single case of it is being put on the mass media sites right now because it generates traffic.

BUT

I do think the laws need a serious looking at.  Some are so vaguely worded and open that it becomes a real challenge to really apply the laws effectively.  I get that they want people to feel safe protecting their lives and property, but just "feeling threatened" is open to many interpretations.  I feel threatened often due to my PTSD.  I can't just pop off everyone I feel threatened by.

Quoting supermonstermom:

MelanieJK
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:02 PM

I think he might have a case if he had no reason to shoot the deputy other than fear.    It'll depend on who has the credibility when it comes to whether or not the deputy identified himself sufficiently.     He should have identified himself before coming out of the bushes not after/while.    

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)