Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Florida bars illegals from practicing law

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:17 PM
  • 60 Replies

Makes sense to me.  How can you effectively be an 'expert' in the American judicial system when you can't or refuse to follow the law yourself?

http://news.yahoo.com/florida-court-bars-immigrants-u-illegally-being-lawyers-223813121.html?soc_src=copy

by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Can someone make the above link clicky?  I'm on an IPad 

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a problem with this. I recently found out that illegal/undocumented doesn't mean you didn't follow the law. Some people are deemed illegal/undocumented but still permitted to be here such a paroles and four or five other conditional statuses. These are also all conditions that would qualify them for Federal school grants and the like. As such they would need to intern if they study law.

What is a parole immigrant? A person who does not meet the technical requirements for a visa or is inadmissible may be permitted to enter the United States on humanitarian parole for a temporary period of time, which includes a person who has been previously removed from the U.S

meriana
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:25 PM
4 moms liked this

Good. Why in the world should a person become a legal citizen if they can avail themselves of what education, work profession, etc. they want without doing so. Apparently those taking the bar exam are required to show proof of residency or citizenship but this young man was given a waiver to that requirement while legal citizens needed to meet it.  Jose Manuel Godinez-Samperio received a waiver exempting him from showing proof of residency or citizenship to take the state bar exam and passed the test in 2011.

There's definitly something wrong when someone here illegally is allowed to bypass requirements that legal citizens are expected to meet and then those same people claim they are being treated unfairly.

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:25 PM
3 moms liked this

First off, they shouldn't have to "bar" them from anything, they are here illegally and are criminals. Second, how come these people aren't being deported the minute they apply for jobs or benefits etc??? How about we start enforcing our current laws and protecting our borders???

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'!

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I have the most difficultly with the entitlement he feels in the first place.  He was given special privileges based on what exactly?  No one that advocates for illegals wants to address that issue.

Quoting dustinsmom1:

First off, they shouldn't have to "bar" them from anything, they are here illegally and are criminals. Second, how come these people aren't being deported the minute they apply for jobs or benefits etc??? How about we start enforcing our current laws and protecting our borders???

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'!

md3mom
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:33 PM
2 moms liked this
Wow! Did you ladies read the article? Where should he be deported to? Do you know what the process would be for him to become legal or should he just abandon the country he's lived in for over 15 years? It's not like he just arrived here - his parents brought him here when he was 9. I just don't see this issue being as cut and dry as everyone seems to make it.
quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:38 PM
3 moms liked this
Illegals who were brought had an entire law created so they would have a way to become legal without having to leave and apply. It is now a choice to remain illegal and they should be treated as any other criminal. You don't get to the point of taking a bar exam and not know your status.

Quoting md3mom: Wow! Did you ladies read the article? Where should he be deported to? Do you know what the process would be for him to become legal or should he just abandon the country he's lived in for over 15 years? It's not like he just arrived here - his parents brought him here when he was 9. I just don't see this issue being as cut and dry as everyone seems to make it.
quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:43 PM
3 moms liked this
Does anyone else have a professional license with the Florida DBPR? It is *not* an easy process. For a real estate sales license I had to turn in my high school transcript, proof of ID and residence, background check, fingerprints, and proof I went to the required course before I was allowed to take the actual exam. Similar thing when I got my radiology certification for my dental program. If I have to do all that, why do people who are here illegally get a pass? And the reason for this process is the interest of public safety.
md3mom
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks. I didn't know that. I still think the process is probably not simple since I haven't seen any process of our government's that is. I also think it's pretty harsh to call someone like that a criminal.

Quoting quickbooksworm: Illegals who were brought had an entire law created so they would have a way to become legal without having to leave and apply. It is now a choice to remain illegal and they should be treated as any other criminal. You don't get to the point of taking a bar exam and not know your status.

Quoting md3mom: Wow! Did you ladies read the article? Where should he be deported to? Do you know what the process would be for him to become legal or should he just abandon the country he's lived in for over 15 years? It's not like he just arrived here - his parents brought him here when he was 9. I just don't see this issue being as cut and dry as everyone seems to make it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)