Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Common Core - Reading Standards - Are you as well-read as a 10th grader?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:26 PM
  • 35 Replies

Are you as well-read as a 10th grader?

Forty-five US states have adopted the Common Core, a set of standards that spell out what US public school students learn in each grade, from kindergarten to graduation. How would you match up? Test yourself on everything from Ovid to Shakespeare to see how familiar you are with the novels, short stories, plays, and poems that are among the titles that today's 9th and 10th graders may be asked to read. 

Take the quiz.  37 questions<<

Share your results and opinions below.

by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

fwiw: 

You're sort of well read

You could probably hold your own in a literary conversation, but perhaps not with today's 15-year-olds.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:55 PM

what'd you get, Sapient? 

FrumpyMama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:03 PM

I'm sort of well read. This coming from someone who between dh and I we have a most diverse book library and have read all the classics.  Someone tell me why our kids need to read about Codfish. I'm really curious as to why that is a required reading now. There were some on there that piqued my interest though, like Custard and Little BIghorn.  If anything that test made me realize how much I still have yet to read in my lifetime. 

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this

for the same reason my BIL read a book on salt, because it was a commodity which had huge effects on human events. 

according to the Amazon blurb, cod was both the reason and the means for europeans crossing the ocean. 

I'm currently in a college Eng Comp class, and you should hear the WHINING about having to read non-fiction, it's pathetic.  

Quoting FrumpyMama:

I'm sort of well read. This coming from someone who between dh and I we have a most diverse book library and have read all the classics.  Someone tell me why our kids need to read about Codfish. I'm really curious as to why that is a required reading now. There were some on there that piqued my interest though, like Custard and Little BIghorn.  If anything that test made me realize how much I still have yet to read in my lifetime. 

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:16 PM

I got.....

You're pretty well read...

FrumpyMama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:16 PM

No!!! Not Real LIFE!! AHH!!!! Should start them out with something fun, like the Donner Party. lol!

I was just curious, it seemed like such a random out of place book compared to all the others but if it made that big of an impression on our country's history than it should be on there. 

Quoting autodidact:

for the same reason my BIL read a book on salt, because it was a commodity which had huge effects on human events. 

according to the Amazon blurb, cod was both the reason and the means for europeans crossing the ocean. 

I'm currently in a college Eng Comp class, and you should hear the WHINING about having to read non-fiction, it's pathetic.  

Quoting FrumpyMama:

Sapient.Quaff
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Congratulations! You are now ready for the 11th grade.

Sapient.Quaff
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations! You are now ready for the 11th grade.

I've read most, except for 5.  The cod book I need to read I guess. LOL

Quoting autodidact:

what'd you get, Sapient? 

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:36 PM

I kind of prefer that as an approach to teaching history over military battles and dates, it's bigger picture stuff, to me, the forces that spurred migration, the resources that were battled for. 

Quoting FrumpyMama:

No!!! Not Real LIFE!! AHH!!!! Should start them out with something fun, like the Donner Party. lol!

I was just curious, it seemed like such a random out of place book compared to all the others but if it made that big of an impression on our country's history than it should be on there. 

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting FrumpyMama:

FrumpyMama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:44 PM

To be honest, I never found military battles remotely interesting until I graduated and became a parent. I was watching a PBS documentary about the War of 1812 (the date that was pounded into my head in school with no real undrestanding behind it). I had NO IDEA how widespread it was and how overstretched Britain allowed itself to be. We're actually on a documentary binge right now about the presidents. Just finished President Grant and at the moment he is my new favorite past president.  But yeah, military stuff is beyond boring sometimes. Important but draining. 

Quoting autodidact:

I kind of prefer that as an approach to teaching history over military battles and dates, it's bigger picture stuff, to me, the forces that spurred migration, the resources that were battled for. 

Quoting FrumpyMama:

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting FrumpyMama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)