Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

SeaWorlds Worst Nightmare!!!

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 2:13 PM
  • 58 Replies
1 mom liked this

If you have yet to see the documentary Black Fish, I would put it at the top of the list of things to watch. Since this documentary came out in 2013 SeaWorld has been feeling the backlash of people who are now aware of what has been taking place for decades. 

SeaWorlds Worst Nightmare: Lawmaker Proposes Ban on Orca Captivity

Its about time SeaWorld experienced a bit of a nightmare. They've been creating a nightmarish life for these Orca slash highly evolved living creatures for decades!

I will never ever take my children to one of these "parks". It is not how they (orcas, wales, dolphins) should be living and I would NEVER want to promote this type of thinking to my children. I have been to the San Diego SeaWorld a couple times. I had no idea and either did my parents. We know better now and so now we can do better.

What's your thoughts?

by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 9, 2014 at 2:46 PM

I have not yet seen this documentary.  Honestly, I know very little about what is being said has been going on, what has or has not actually taken place.

I need to grab this and watch it.

I have friends back home who post about this often.  Although they are on the other side of this issue, claiming there is no mistreatment of the Orcas.  They go to Sea World San Diego often.

suzanneyea
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 2:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I think sea world has changed a lot over the years. And will continue to change and make things better. A lot of that dotage was not even sea world and most of it was from the 70's. I am not saying they are perfect, but I think they have changed a lot of those policies.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 2:52 PM
I saw it the first time it was aired on CNN it's heartbreaking and sad!
I would not watch it again makes me and what they do to poor orcas!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermario4ever
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 2:53 PM
5 moms liked this

Blackfish is one big fat lie. The trainers have come out and said so. Even ones that don't work there anymore and the family of the trainer that died came out and said it was all lies.

IAMmomtotrips
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 2:58 PM
3 moms liked this
I think it's an issue with the what halpen's next. There have been many trainers who have spoken out against sea world and against the film.

My issue is there is not good solution. They can't release them, because they would not survive.

But if everyone quits going, then they won't have the money to care for them as they are cared for now.

I am very torn on the issue.
motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Mar. 9, 2014 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this
then how come seaworld hasnt sued for slander or defamation? blackfish made me see seaworld as an aquatic circus...i hate the circus i will never go to seaworld there are better places to spend the money

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Blackfish is one big fat lie. The trainers have come out and said so. Even ones that don't work there anymore and the family of the trainer that died came out and said it was all lies.

Radiating2
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Im interested in what your saying, were is the sourse that states what your saying to be true? 

Patti-Gee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 3:16 PM

I watched Blackfish, and I have never been to Seaworld.  I am probably never going to Seaworld, but that has more to do with distance and location.

Killer whales, elephants and other wild animals shouldn't be on parade for our amusement.    And this is from  someone who goes to zoos in the cities I visit just to see the elephants.   

Radiating2
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I agree, the "what next?" is a big issue. I think a ban on capturing or transporting any more of these mammals for the purpose of entertainment would be a great start. These creatures are barely surviving in captivity with a life span of about 30 years to that of its wild counterpart who lives closer to 100! 

Of course there are trainers speaking against the film. There are people who work or worked for Monsanto who would attest that GMOs are perfectly fine for the human body and that Monsanto would never knowingly poison people. Doesn't make the facts any less easy to see.  

I can understand feeling torn.

Quoting IAMmomtotrips: I think it's an issue with the what halpen's next. There have been many trainers who have spoken out against sea world and against the film. My issue is there is not good solution. They can't release them, because they would not survive. But if everyone quits going, then they won't have the money to care for them as they are cared for now. I am very torn on the issue.

Aamy
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 6:00 PM
3 moms liked this
Lmao. Yeah sorry but no. A one sided documentary. Don't believe everything you see on tv.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN