Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Susie’s Senior Dogs: Putting Adoptable Aging Dogs in the Spotlight

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 3:25 AM
  • 6 Replies
3 moms liked this

By Caterina Andreano

@danbharris

Mar 4, 2014 4:43pm

This is the face that launched a campaign to save some of America’s most vulnerable dogs.

“She looks like a punk rocker, but she acts like a nun,” said Brandon Stanton of his dog, Susie.

Stanton, with his girlfriend Erin O’Sullivan, is the man behind the wildly popular blog, “Humans of New York,” which features photos and stories of interesting New Yorkers.

He met Susie while on the job.

ht susie kab 140304 16x9 608 Susies Senior Dogs: Putting Adoptable Aging Dogs in the Spotlight

Susie, 13, above, from "Susie's Senior Dogs." Credit: Brandon Stanton

“I had never seen a dog that was that interesting,” Stanton said. “I called her the greatest dog in New York.”

Related: One woman’s quest to save dogs’ lives with a camera.

Stanton posted a photo of Susie to HONY and Susie’s owner saw it. A week later, the owner came up to him and asked Stanton if he wanted the dog.

He ended up adopting her despite her age – she’s 13 – and they fell in love.

“She’s old, and she’s attached,” Stanton said of Susie. “She wants to be with me everywhere.”

“She loves him so much,” said O’Sullivan.

Susie is lucky. Most people prefer puppies when adopting dogs and older dogs have a hard time finding a home.

“The alternative is to either be in a shelter, or even worse,” Tiffany Lacey of Animal Haven, an animal shelter in New York.

Related: How to adopt a stray dog from Sochi.

Despite that fact, senior dogs actually have a lot going for them.

“If you’re just looking for…someone to completely love you, the senior pet is the way to go,” Lacey told ABC News.

So O’Sullivan decided to take up Susie’s cause. She started a Facebook page, “Susie’s Senior Dogs,” to find aging dogs new families.

Stanton posted it and it went viral. The first dog, 13-year-old Nina, was adopted in just two days.

ht nina adopted kab 140304 16x9 608 Susies Senior Dogs: Putting Adoptable Aging Dogs in the Spotlight

Nina, 13, with her owners Jesse Simon, right, and Moira Foehr, left. Credit: Jesse Simon and Moira Foehr

“She brings a lot of happiness to the house,” said Jesse Simon, one of Nina’s owners.

“I think that’s because she’s a senior dog,” Moira Foehr, Nina’s other owner, said. “She’s been perfect.”

“It started informally without any kind of plan” O’Sullivan said of the Facebook page, which launched at the end of January. “I wasn’t expecting for dogs to get adopted right away.”

But “Susie’s Senior Dogs” has had more than 20 success stories so far.

Max, 10, adopted in Virginia Beach and Rosco, 6, adopted in Oregon are among the lucky ones.

HT max adoption dog sk 140304 16x9 608 Susies Senior Dogs: Putting Adoptable Aging Dogs in the Spotlight

Max, 10, above, lives with his owners, Amanda and Matt, in Virginia Beach, VA. Credit: Amanda Novak

ht rosco kab 140304 16x9 608 Susies Senior Dogs: Putting Adoptable Aging Dogs in the Spotlight

Rosco, 6, above, lives in Oregon. Credit: Mark and Katherine Dobney

“I don’t want it to be all talk but talk and action,” O’Sullivan said.

There are many dogs that are still waiting to be adopted, including Heartthrob, who is up for adoption at Animal Haven in NY.

HT heartthrob adoption dog sk 140304 16x9 608 Susies Senior Dogs: Putting Adoptable Aging Dogs in the Spotlight

Heartthrob, above, is up for adoption at Animal Haven. Credit: Erin O'Sullivan/Susie's Senior Dogs

One funny little dog’s face turned into one big viral movement – saving lives, in that classic “America Strong” tradition, by rooting for the underdog.

Video at Source

~~~~      ~~~~         ~~~~        ~~~~~~          ~~~~~~

"Can you hear them? All these people who lived in terror of you and your judgement. All these people who's ancestors devoted themselves, sacrificed themselves to you. Can you hear them singing? Oh, you like to think you're a god. You're not a god, you're just a parasite, eaten out with jealousy and envy and longing for the lives of other." ~ The Doctor

by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 3:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 7:09 AM
I am a old dog adopter. I hate puppies and high energy dogs.
lga1965
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 7:22 AM

I would rather adopt an older dog who has been "potty trained" and isn't too hyper. :)  Puppies are cute but can be stressful.  I have owned a few. They were great when they were more mature.

One thing that I have a problem with is taking dogs out to go potty or for walks when it is below zero and snow is 4 feet deep.So, I haven't adopted one lately.

But I love doggies.

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 8:44 AM

good

GLWerth
by Gina on Mar. 10, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Very nice.

Our two were both adopted as pups, but my mother has several rescued older dogs. They are awesome and so happy to be at a home again.

oddgirl
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:20 AM

This is so timely for me.  My ds and I volunteer at the local Humane Society,  We visit with the cats to keep them happy and friendly.  There is a cat there that my son took to right away.   I looked up the cat's information and he is almost 14.  He was adopted from the shelter as a kitten by a couple, and when the wife died recently the husband surrendered the cat because he felt he could not care for it anymore.  He is such a sweet cat,  still playful and he loves to be petted. I think a lot of people disregard these older animals, but many of them are an absolute treasure and deserve better than shelter life in their golden years.

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:27 AM

We are all about adopting the oldsters!!! They make my heart warm and fuzzy!!  Thanks for posting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN