Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should mom be allowed to keep her kids after they sought ride to school from police?

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:41 AM
  • 27 Replies

Mom Arrested After 3 Kids Walk to Police Station in Cold to Ask for Ride to School (VIDEO)

by Mary Fischer

kids at police station

A New Hampshire mother has been arrested after her three kids under the age of 6 walked in zero degree temperatures to the police station, where one of them hoped to obtain a ride to school.

Katarina Short has been charged with endangering the welfare of a child and providing false information to police. The children, ages 5, 4, and 1 were caught on surveillance video walking alone in the street, and then showing up at the police station where they knocked on the door for help.

Police report that they all had coats and boots on for the trek, thanks to the eldest child making sure everyone was bundled up.

And I know what you're wondering -- where was Katarina and why didn't she take her son to school?

Check out this video to hear her excuse.

Walmart? Before school hours? Seems a little odd, don't you think?

Thankfully these children are safe in foster care, but that doesn't change how scared and confused they must be, and they're probably wondering why they can't go home and sleep in their own beds.

Considering the 5-year-old had the presence of mind to put everyone in coats and venture out into the cold for help, odds are good that he's quite familiar with taking care of himself and his siblings all on his own.

(And that's just sad.)

Do you think this mom should be allowed to keep her kids?

by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:57 AM

If this is her first encounter with the agency, she might well get her kids back.  After she completes parenting classes and child safety classes. 

babylove1979
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:16 AM
I think she should have to go to parenting classes and anything else they can make a requirement, and there should be X amount of unannounced CPC visits, during business and NON-business hours! It sure as heck shouldn't be 'easy' for her! BTW, that's for a first offence. 2nd or more I don't think she should get her kids back. Might sound harsh but the kids deserve better imo
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

How incredibly sad and frightening.

For that little man, the 5 year old, to cloth the others, even if zippers not zipped and shoes on the wrong feet, tells me he has done this before.  Caring for his siblings in a way no 5 year old should ever have to do.

What a smart little man, going to the police station.  

If mom has never been caught before, if no one else has been aware of how she parents, she will most likely have the children returned to her.  I would hope parenting classes and other measures must be met first.  

My first instinct is not to have those children return to her.  

I admit it, I have to wonder if mom has more important things going on, like drugs or alcohol. 

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Wow, such a sad story. I don't know what her punishment should be but I hope whatever is best for the children is what happens.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Thank goodness this little guy helped with the younger ones, poor babies they have a rough life if they stay with her

ladybugchick317
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Hell No!

kerainey101
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 5:02 PM
If the school district does not bus children to school who live within two miles of their school, what then?
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 5:14 PM
3 moms liked this

Anyone who would let a 5,4 & 1 year old walk alone should not have children.  How is the 1 year old in school?

lga1965
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 5:20 PM
Then you drive your kids to school. Obviously.

Quoting kerainey101: If the school district does not bus children to school who live within two miles of their school, what then?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kerainey101
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 5:56 PM
That's exactly what I do.
But there are others who don't or can't. The school district believes children can walk to school if they are within two miles and they do not have to cross any major intersections. So I wonder what CPS would do in that situation.
I mean, if the school district says they are expected to walk even when its 30 below windchills, could or should the parents get in trouble?.

Quoting lga1965: Then you drive your kids to school. Obviously.

Quoting kerainey101: If the school district does not bus children to school who live within two miles of their school, what then?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)