Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

These People Might Live On Mars For The Rest Of Their Lives, If They’re Lucky

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:52 AM
  • 27 Replies

These nine people were chosen to move onto the second round of the Mars One mission to be part of the first human settlement on Mars.posted on 

In August, we wrote about 13 people who applied to the Mars One mission, and at least nine of them were selected for the second round of the application process.

In August, we wrote about 13 people who applied to the Mars One mission , and at least nine of them were selected for the second round of the application process.

The Mars One mission will send four people to the Red Planet to create the first human settlement in space. They plan to send additional teams to space every two years. Those chosen will not be able to return to Earth.

A total of 1,058 moved on, which is only about 1% of the over 100,000 applicants.

The qualified applicants were notified via email that Mars One Chief Medical Officer Norbert Kraft would contact them by Jan. 6, 2014. In addition to medical exams, all of the applicants will be interviewed in person by a selection committee.

“It’s time to talk with your loved ones regarding your dream of starting a human civilization on Mars,” the email read. “Passing the first round of selection is a major step closer to going down in history as one of the chosen few who will experience and live something that has never been done before.”

The email also stressed the importance of crowdsourcing and social media.

“Use Facebook, Twitter (#Marstronaut), LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, Vine… tell everyone you know, including friends, family, and media that you need their help… helping generate interest and funding in the Mars One mission is your first assignment.”

The funding refers to an Indiegogo campaign that has been launched to raise enough money to send the four “Marstronauts” to the Red Planet to create a human civilization. Additional teams of four will be sent every two years, and the entire mission will allegedly be screened as a reality television show.

by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Good luck to them. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:37 PM

No thank you.

Best of luck to them.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Right? 

I wonder if they're going to send actual astronauts with them or just have them go it alone?

Quoting Citygirlk:

Good luck to them. 

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:44 PM

You couldn't pay me to go...

I have to see if I could find it but one of the people who applied was this guy with three kids. I just can't understand the mentality of wanting to leave your family behind.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

No thank you.

Best of luck to them.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Quoting paganbaby:

I have to see if I could find it but one of the people who applied was this guy with three kids. I just can't understand the mentality of wanting to leave your family behind.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

No thank you.

Best of luck to them.

Honestly, I can't understand wanting to go at all.  I simply do not have enough trust in humanity here on Earth, much less to start over on Mars.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

No thank you.

Best of luck to them.

Honestly, I can't understand wanting to go at all.  I simply do not have enough trust in humanity here on Earth, much less to start over on Mars.

That too but also I don't see how it's possible right now. There's no air, no water, no food. What is long term survival going to look like?

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Heisenberg
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Why? That's my only question.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

No thank you.

Best of luck to them.

That too but also I don't see how it's possible right now. There's no air, no water, no food. What is long term survival going to look like?

Good questions.

I can't help but think, in part, this is a huge mistake.

I have to wonder if there is a waiver, of sorts, that hold no one responsible for what may, or may not happen, once they are there.  Kind of an 'at will' safety net, protecting whomever should someone die, or otherwise, while taking on this new adventure.

mygardenia
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:13 PM

If I was child less I would have applied. Best of luck to them!! Its so awesome....history in the making.

Heisenberg
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:27 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree. Actually I kind of hate the idea. What's wrong with our planet, other than we have been killing it? Why do we need to colonize another one? I really don't understand at all. If I was the mother of the human race I would be tapping my foot and saying "Now, you can't have a new planet just because you have ruined your old one. You have to prove to me you can take care of the one you have before I'll let you have another" lol

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

No thank you.

Best of luck to them.

Good questions.

I can't help but think, in part, this is a huge mistake.

I have to wonder if there is a waiver, of sorts, that hold no one responsible for what may, or may not happen, once they are there.  Kind of an 'at will' safety net, protecting whomever should someone die, or otherwise, while taking on this new adventure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)