Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Am I wrong?

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:37 PM
  • 13 Replies

Do you think I'm wrong?

Ok here is my situation. A little over a year ago, my SIL was kicked out of her apartment and me my husband let her come to our house for a couple of months. We needed a bed for her, so I asked my mom if she had one. She did. She had a bed that she was giving away for free, but the people hadn't showed to pick it up. It had been months. My mom let me know up front it was a horrible mattress. One of those that felt like a box spring, but was the actual mattress. Felt like lying literally on the springs. Something IMO I consider has no value when used. Like I said, she was giving it away. 

After my SIL left, my daughter took the mattress aswell as my SIL's comfortable futon mattress, she had on top of it. Both were on the floor. Yesterday morning, I called my mom and asked if she still had the box spring. Yes, she did and said I could get it. Keep in mind, she never gave them to me. I was only borrowing it. A little later, I called to see if I could come pick it up. She said, she didn't fill like trying to get to it. I went online and found someone giving away a bed, so I went and picked it up. So then, I sent my mother a message on fb letting her know I no longer needed it. I asked if she wanted me to return it. She came back and said her husband said no. Then, she asked me if I was sure I didn't want the box spring. I said, "No".

I had my husband drop it off at the dump. Tonight, she sent me a message asking me if it was in the same condition I received it. I said, "No".  She asked if it was possible for me to clean it and get it back in the same conditon. I then explained to her that it was stained and sticky on the bottom and flatter. I also told her after she told me she didn't want it back, I had it took off. So then she ask if I'm gonna pay for it. I was lost. I couldn't understand why she was now asking me to pay for something she was giving away for free and she told me she didn't want back. But I was like "Ok, I'll give you $10 for it." She said, "I paid $100 for the set. As nice as I could I tried to explain I didn't understand. She was giving it away when I asked to borrow it. It wasn't worth a penny. After more discussion and she mentioned me replacing it, I said " The lady I got Jordan's bed from had another one for free". "Would you like me to see if she still has it"? "It's far better than the one you had". She then tells me she doesn't want anything, it was the principle. She said "I didn't have manners". I apologized, offered her the $10 or a replacement again and told her I was sorry for not knowing my manners. She then said that was her fault. Do you think I was wrong?

by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I don't.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:41 PM

How would one go about taking an old, flat mattress and getting back in to any kind of decent condition?

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting FromAtoZ:

How would one go about taking an old, flat mattress and getting back in to any kind of decent condition?

I don't know lol. 

Jaliyah  My video here

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think you're wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JaeSung
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope. Not wrong at all.
TerraIncognita
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Its not your fault she didn't want it when you offered it back.
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Mail her the ten dollars lol

FlowerGirl777
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:20 PM

No. Once she said No, what were you supposed to do? Have it in your house indefinately until she changes her mind? Mail her $10 if you want to keep the peace. 

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:28 PM

It's probably not even about the bed. If you're upset about it, mail her some money and just try to stop thinking about it. A flat crappy mattress isn't worth family drama. 

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:58 PM
"then explained to her that it was stained and sticky on the bottom"

Ew.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)