Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family & friends calling cell phones of people on missing flight - and the phones are ringing...

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:28 AM
  • 24 Replies

CNN debunks it, but it's still creepy. I'm mean, I would assume if their cells were say; underwater they would go straight to voicemail. No?

(video in link)

CNN Debunks Malaysia Airlines Cell Phone Mystery

After an incredibly robust week of coverage on the situation in Ukraine, CNN has seemingly moved on this week, instead focusing its attention on the still unknown whereabouts of the Malaysian Airlines plane carrying 239 people that disappeared on Friday somewhere near Vietnam. On Tuesday,Wolf Blitzer addressed reports of family members who say the cell phones of their loved ones are still ringing when they call.

Technology expert Jeff Kagan joined Blitzer to explain what might be happening and in the process squashed the hopes of those people who see the ringing cell phones as a positive omen. “This is one of the sad parts about the technology,” Kagan said before explaining that just because the calls are not going straight to voicemail does not mean that those phones are still on and active somewhere.

While the person on this end may hear ringing the phone on the other end may not actually be receiving the call. “They are hearing ringing and they are assuming it’s connecting to their loved ones, but it’s not,” he said. “It’s the network sending a signal to the phone letting them know it’s looking for them.”

Watch video below, via CNN:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnn-debunks-malaysia-airlines-cell-phone-mystery/

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:36 AM

I would think most cell phones would have lost their power by now.

How horrible, for the families, of these people.  I cannot imagine.

Mommabearbergh
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:38 AM
2 moms liked this
Did they really have to rush to squashing their last bit of hope. I get it they may be dead but why broadcast it like well you may have a last bit of hope but we are here to tell you they are probably dead
MamaJess9
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:42 AM
6 moms liked this

I'm still confused by this, because every cell phone I've ever known, if it's turned off, or battery is dead, or the phone itself is destroyed, it goes straight to voice mail.  I'm aware that the ringing doesn't always mean the call is going through; if I don't have signal, I've had people try to call me and say it rang, but I don't have a missed call, but I don't understand why the phones aren't just going straight to voice mail if they aren't still intact somewhere.

VooDooB
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Exactly.

I could brush it off as something random & odd if it was just one phone, but multiple phones ringing? That's just spooky.

Quoting MamaJess9:

I'm still confused by this, because every cell phone I've ever known, if it's turned off, or battery is dead, or the phone itself is destroyed, it goes straight to voice mail.  I'm aware that the ringing doesn't always mean the call is going through; if I don't have signal, I've had people try to call me and say it rang, but I don't have a missed call, but I don't understand why the phones aren't just going straight to voice mail if they aren't still intact somewhere.

momtoscott
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:47 AM

It depends on the cell phone service and kind of voice mail; it is perfectly possible with some phones to get ringing on the caller's end, even if the phone on the other is turned off or the battery is run down.   

LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this
False hope is cruel.

Quoting Mommabearbergh: Did they really have to rush to squashing their last bit of hope. I get it they may be dead but why broadcast it like well you may have a last bit of hope but we are here to tell you they are probably dead
LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:12 AM
False hope is cruel.

Quoting Mommabearbergh: Did they really have to rush to squashing their last bit of hope. I get it they may be dead but why broadcast it like well you may have a last bit of hope but we are here to tell you they are probably dead
Bethsunshine
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:32 AM
2 moms liked this

One would think that with technology being so advanced, that someone would be able to use the cell phone signals to track down these people. This whole story is just so weird!

Mommabearbergh
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:10 PM
So is broadcasting to the world that your love one is probably dead when nothing official has been said. I feel they should wait till everything is reported to say things

Quoting LaughCryLive: False hope is cruel.

VooDooB
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Talk about weird? What about this one?

Take a close look at the pictures of the Iranian men who used stolen passports to board theMalaysian Airlines plane that has been missing since Saturday. Notice anything off about it?

Pictures of the two men, a 19-year old Iranian, identified by Malaysian police as Pouria Nour Mohammad Mehrdad, left, and the man on the right, his identity still not released, who boarded the now missing Malaysia Airlines jet MH370 with stolen passports, is held up by a Malaysian policewoman during a press conference, Tuesday, March 11, 2014 in Sepang, Malaysia. One of the two men traveling on a missing Malaysian Airlines jetliner was an Iranian asylum seeker, officials said Tuesday, as baffled authorities expanded their search for the Boeing 777 on the opposite side of the country from where it disappeared nearly four days ago with 239 people on board.(AP Photo/Wong Maye-E)

Pictures of the two men, a 19-year old Iranian, identified by Malaysian police as Pouria Nour Mohammad Mehrdad, left, and the man on the right, his identity still not released, who boarded the now missing Malaysia Airlines jet MH370 with stolen passports, is held up by a Malaysian policewoman during a press conference, Tuesday, March 11, 2014 in Sepang, Malaysia. One of the two men traveling on a missing Malaysian Airlines jetliner was an Iranian asylum seeker, officials said Tuesday, as baffled authorities expanded their search for the Boeing 777 on the opposite side of the country from where it disappeared nearly four days ago with 239 people on board.(AP/Wong Maye-E)

Some, particularly on social media, have pointed out that the men appear to have the same bottom half, suggesting that the images were Photoshopped.

Look at the position of their feet. Look at the shadows. Look at the shape of the bag, especially in the context that the man on the left doesn’t appear to be holding the same shape of bag in his top half.

After the issue started to gain traction, Malaysian officials confirmed the photo was altered, though said it was not done intentionally.

Asmawati Ahmad, spokeswoman for the Malaysian assistant police commissioner, told Agence France-Presse that the issue occurred when someone photocopied the images. She said it “was not done with malice or to mislead” and said this was explained when the images were handed out to members of the media.

This combination of images released by Interpol and displayed by Malaysian police during a news conference in Sepang, Malaysia, on Tuesday, March 11, 2014, shows an Iranian identified by Interpol as Pouria Nour Mohammad Mehrdad, who Malaysian authorities say is 19, although Interpol's information indicated an age of 18, left, and 29-year-old Iranian Delavar Seyedmohammaderza. The men boarded the now missing Malaysia Airlines jet MH370 with stolen passports. (AP/Interpol)

This combination of images released by Interpol and displayed by Malaysian police during a news conference in Sepang, Malaysia, on Tuesday, March 11, 2014, shows an Iranian identified by Interpol as Pouria Nour Mohammad Mehrdad, who Malaysian authorities say is 19, although Interpol’s information indicated an age of 18, left, and 29-year-old Iranian Delavar Seyedmohammaderza. The men boarded the now missing Malaysia Airlines jet MH370 with stolen passports. (AP/Interpol)

Law enforcement officials said Tuesday that the men who used the stolen passports were probably not terrorists. Police said both men bought their tickets in Thailand and entered Malaysia together.

No debris from the plane has been found. On Tuesday, baffled authorities expanded their search to the opposite side of Malaysia from where the Boeing 777 Flight MH370 disappeared Saturday with 239 people on board.

The Associate Press contributed to this report.

Quoting Bethsunshine:

One would think that with technology being so advanced, that someone would be able to use the cell phone signals to track down these people. This whole story is just so weird!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)