Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADF reminds schools that they should 'accommodate religion'

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:43 AM
  • 17 Replies

A threat from atheists has prompted two universities to remove all the Bibles from their guest rooms -- a knee-jerk reaction one legal groups says is "unnecessary."

Barham, Travis (ADF)Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF) attorney Travis Barham tells OneNewsNow his firm sent a letter to the Universities of Wisconsin and Iowa State, telling them they needlessly removed the Bibles in response to the threat of a lawsuit from the Freedom from Religion Foundation.

"This was unnecessary," Barham insists. "No court has ever ordered a university to do such a thing, and in fact, federal courts have made it very clear that universities and government in general are supposed to accommodate religion, not seek it out and squelch it or silence it and try to purge it from campuses."

He points out that Supreme Court justices and federal judges have condemned the restriction or exclusion of religious materials both at universities and elsewhere.

"In fact, one of them made the obvious statement, but one that universities need to be reminded of, and that is that the people of the United States did not adopt the Bill of Rights to strip the public square of every last shred of public piety," the attorney reports. "And unfortunately, that's what the Freedom from Religion Foundation would like to achieve."

ADF is evaluating the situation to see if it can do anything else to encourage the schools to restore the Bibles to their guest facilities.

- See more at: http://www.onenewsnow.com/education/2014/03/07/adf-reminds-schools-that-they-should-accommodate-religion#.UyByG4XiuM8
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
canadianmom1974
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:48 AM
How does not providing bibles squelch religion?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Those bibles have never bothered me.

Half the time, I don't even notice they are there.

*shrug*

Mommabearbergh
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:52 AM
" sacred text " should be in their libraries. They are good for research and referencing things if your are majoring in history or theology
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Good question. Do they provide religious text for all other religions too?

Quoting canadianmom1974: How does not providing bibles squelch religion?

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

momtoscott
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:55 AM
4 moms liked this

Are the universities trying to stop their guests from bringing their own Bibles?  That would be trying to squelch religion.

Personally, if I'm going to find a book in a guest room, I'd rather it be a guide to the university or local area.  

IandLoveandYou
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:57 AM
I've never really understood the bible in the room thing.

If your practice any other religion it's bring your own book, so..meh.
Proud2baMuslim
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:30 PM

This is ridiculous. It's one thing to pass out Bibles or other religious material which would be promoting it but what is wrong with maybe having Bibles. Qurans, other religious material in the library of something. That way it is not being promoted but is available for anyone interested to look for on their own.

lga1965
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:35 PM
Oh well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperChicken
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

A groups who describes themselves as follows:

"Alliance Defending Freedom is a servant ministry building an alliance to keep the door open for the spread of the Gospel by transforming the legal system and advocating for religious liberty, the sanctity of life, and marriage and family." (from their website linked in the op)

wants to have Bibles in hotel rooms?  Well, color me shocked.  

IhartU
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Keeping religious texts in the libraries IS accommodating enough. There is no need to put them in the guest rooms.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)