Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rick Perry: It’s Time for the States to Fight Back

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:52 AM
  • 16 Replies

If you didn’t catch Texas Governor Rick Perry’s speech at CPAC, you’ve got to watch it at some point.  Perry was on fire, and you could tell he was having a great time firing the crowd up with his passionate speech.

Perry went after the overreach of the federal government in healthcare, the economy, and education, saying that the battle against big government should start at the state level, where the “laboratories of democracy” were intended to have broad, flexible powers to build successful systems.

This is already happening, as we’re seeing a massive rebellion over gun control laws in states like Arizona and Missouri, nullification of federal laws like NDAA in Michigan and Obamcare in South Carolina.  Of course, the media wants to ignore the nullification movement, but there’s no ignoring the fact that it’s catching on because states are that fed up.

Sponsored links:

Breitbart reports Quoting Thomas Jefferson, Perry said, “It’s time for a little rebellion on the battlefield of ideas… instead of looking to Washington, look to the states.”

The states, Perry argued, are “laboratories of innovation.” It is time to elect national leaders “who devolve power to the states, not rob them of it.”

“It is time for Washington to focus on the few things the constitution establishes as the federal government’s role,” Perry told the receptive crowd. The federal government should “get out of the health care business…get out of the education business… [and] stop hammering industry.”

According to Perry, there are two visions of America at the state level.

In blue states, Perry said, taxes are out of control and jobs are fleeing. In red states, “freedom of the individual comes first. Taxes are low, spending is under control, and jobs are on the rise.”

Perry singled out four Republican governors whose conservative policies are leading to economic growth in their states: Nikki Haley in South Carolina, Bobby Jindal in Louisiana, Scott Walker in Wisconsin, and Rick Scott in Florida.

“Conservative governors trust the people more than the machinery of government,” Perry said. ”The contrast with blue states is crystal clear,” he added.

“Let’s pick the two biggest [blue states], New York and California. No two states have lost more personal income to other states,” Perry said. He noted that “it costs twice as much to hire a truck to move from California to Texas as it does to hire a truck to move from Texas to California… You can’t find enough trucks to flee the Golden State.”

Perry cited Texas, the state where he has served as governor for over a decade, as an excellent example of “Red State” success.” We cut taxes, we didn’t spend all the money… we made predictable regulations… we created 30% of the nation’s new jobs.”

Rick Perry is exactly right.  We do need to start with one of our first principles – federalism – to take back our country and our constitution.  The “Convention of the States” proposal that’s gaining traction across the country, including states like Georgia and Alabama, is perhaps our best hope to drastically limit the power of the federal government by bypassing Washington completely and using the amendment process to require a balanced budget, repeal the income tax, introduce term limits, etc.

Do you support Governor Perry and the movement to return the power BACK to the states where it originally was?  Show your support by sharing this article on Facebook and Twitter.

source

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:01 AM
3 moms liked this
I love how he says conservative governors trust the people over government, as those same conservative governors push legislation that ensures women (who are people last I checked) can't make decisions over their own reproductive health.
momtoscott
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Ah, the old pill popper's back on the campaign trail.  

BaronSamedi
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Perry is living in the past.  We are in a global economy not a state economy.  The real problem is the corruption of moneyed interests controlling the legislation.

jadedcynic
by NerdyJen on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:14 AM
2 moms liked this

I like living in one united country, rather than 50 individual member nations. It would be chaos if the states had as much power as Perry demands.

jllcali
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Rick Perry is an ass.
jllcali
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this
He doesn't care if it's choas or people get screwed, as long as his croniesvand him benefit.

Quoting jadedcynic:

I like living in one united country, rather than 50 individual member nations. It would be chaos if the states had as much power as Perry demands.

candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:20 AM

I agree with Governor Perry.   We need less federal control in all the states.

lga1965
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Rick Perry.
LOL.
Sometimes I wish Texas WOULD secede.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tanyainmizzou
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:27 AM
Except the states are supposed to have more power.

Quoting jadedcynic:

MsDenuninani
by A.Ham on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Texas has large amounts of energy resources.  So Perry can brag all he wants about that, but the fact that it home to such a rich natural resource is a large reason that it has such job stability/growth.  Similarly, I live in a very blue state with a lot of job stability, but that's because it's got an industry that is pretty much impervious to recessions. 

Yet, my blue state ranks well on health care while Texas ranks horribly.  Go figure!

Anyways, my real problem with this piece happens early on, when the author acts as if states are taking on this great rebellion.  As an example, take Michigan's nullification of NDAA -- which was done based on protest of indefinite detention ---- which isn't exactly a known red state value -- that's a civil libertarian value that's been championed by liberals for a long time. Meanwhile, Michigan did institute Medicaid Expansion (thus not rejecting Obamcare)  --- and I guarantee you that most of the states will follow suit the minute they think it's politically safe to do so. 

But, hey, it was CPAC.  Bloviating is what the speakers do best -- or at least what the media will write the most about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)