Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Wonder What Would Happen...

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:53 AM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this
...if excelling schools would each adopt nearby poorly performing schools as a "sister" school, incenting the excelling school with extra funding if their sister schools show measurable levels of improvement. The excelling schools would be invested in their sister school, and the sister school could benefit from the attention and expertise of the excelling school so they could also excel.
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GLWerth
by Gina on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

That is a great and very out of the box idea, Roma!

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I think that would be a wonderful idea.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Good luck finding those excelling schools willing to give up anything to help the school that is not on par with them.

romalove
by Roma on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:56 AM
We could try. There is incentive on both sides in my proposal.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Good luck finding those excelling schools willing to give up anything to help the school that is not on par with them.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I think that would be great.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

It's not a bad idea.  There is a Nonprofit that coordinates these things for schools in other countries.  

http://sisterschools.org/about-us/history/

It wouldn't be difficult for PTAs within a district to work together to establish a similar program. 

I'm personally working with a PTA board member from another school to get ideas and program plans to increase our fundraising and membership.   They have raised enough to purchase laptops for all their classrooms and she and I agree that all our schools benefit when we reach out and help the struggling ones.  

Cmgmqmmom
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
In theory, I like it.
BaronSamedi
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

That will not matter unless class is not a factor.    Socio-economic clas has a lot to do with student success.  It is more than just sitting own and imparting knowledge.  The belief systems are in play. 

romalove
by Roma on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Where I live the schools are excellent. We are surrounded by towns who are not as blessed. We would have to go out of district here to be of any help.

BTW I didn't know about that program. I am always a step behind lol.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

It's not a bad idea.  There is a Nonprofit that coordinates these things for schools in other countries.  

http://sisterschools.org/about-us/history/

It wouldn't be difficult for PTAs within a district to work together to establish a similar program. 

I'm personally working with a PTA board member from another school to get ideas and program plans to increase our fundraising and membership.   They have raised enough to purchase laptops for all their classrooms and she and I agree that all our schools benefit when we reach out and help the struggling ones.  

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romalove: We could try. There is incentive on both sides in my proposal.
Quoting FromAtoZ:

I agree.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)