Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nodding Mother With Child Video Goes Viral; Philly Police Launch Investigation (DISTURBING VIDEO)

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:21 PM
  • 18 Replies

Nodding Mother With Child Video Goes Viral; Philly Police Launch Investigation (DISTURBING VIDEO)

video

A video that went viral over the weekend shows what appears to be a young mother nodding off on a Philadelphia bus while a little girl calls out and tries to wake her.

Officials speculate that drugs may be involved -- that the woman may be doing what's known as the "heroin nod" -- with the little girl in her care. But they also want to know why no one took action until the video was posted on YouTube.

"When you have a person doing the 'heroin nod' and a little girl is trying to hold her head up, that's horrifying," Tom Nestel, chief of police for the Philadelphia-area public transit system SEPTA, told Philly.com. "There's very little reason why 15 calls to 911 weren't received. I don't think there's anyone who can watch that and say, 'Ah, that's a shame,' and just walk away."

Department of Human Services (DHS) Commissioner Anne Marie Ambrose echoed those remarks.

“While it is helpful that so many people emailed and called us after viewing the video, there were many people on the bus who witnessed this as it was occurring and took no action at all,” Ambrose told NBC Philadelphia. “Child abuse is a community problem, if you see or know that a child is being abused or neglected, you should report it immediately.”

Philadelphia Police Lt. John Stanford says in situations like this, it's best not to confront the person. Instead, alert the bus driver or call 911.

The Philadelphia Police Department's Special Victims Unit and DHS are investigating the incident, and have questioned the woman, whose identity has not been released.

At the time of this writing, no charges have been filed, according to Philly.com.

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:28 PM

that is so sad.. I do not understand why no one helped this little girl

VooDooB
by Emerald Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:29 PM

She looks quite relaxed.

LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it's sad that drugs are automatically assumed. It could be some sort of health issue.

Damn Anjali and I broke down on the side of the road (not a busy street) last year. I had only got a few hours of sleep because of a medical emergency in the doctors office where I worked. I fell asleep after waiting on the two truck for 2 hours.

Another time I had been up more than 24 hours and I fell asleep on the plane ride back from Florida with Dd there.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Has it been determined this woman was truly on drugs?
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:54 PM
Just watched the video. Something was obviously wrong with the woman. Drugs, I don't know. I do find it disheartening that no one could take the time to lend a hand.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:02 PM

'Junkie' mother lashes out on Facebook after daughter taken into care: 'I f***ing hope all you skumbags out there are f***ing happy'

Kimberley's photo.

A young child who was seen trying to rouse her mother after she fell asleep on a bus has been removed from her mother's care after the video went viral.

A fellow passenger filmed the exchange between the mother, who repeatedly slumps over in her chair, appearing to fall asleep, and her daughter - who repeatedly tries to prop her mother up.

The video went viral after being posted online, with the public calling for the woman featured, who some have suggested was on drugs due to her dozed state, to be tracked down and the safety of the child ensured.

The Department of Human Services in Philadelphia tracked down the family, and then removed the girl - beleived to be 7-years-old - from her mother's care.

Watch the shocking video here.

On her Facebook page, the mother posted this update: 'I f***ing hope all you skumbags out there are f***ing happy. I just lost the best thing in the world to me all because ppl think before they open there mouths.'

The mother has not been charged with any criminal activity, but according to a police spokesman they are still investigating the situation and have not ruled out making an arrest.

The 26-year-old woman has previous convictions relating to theft, disorderly conduct and promoting prostitution whilst being in prison

lilblu399
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Considering the Philly police never came when I made a call about some woman punching her kid in the chest and slamming him into a wall, recording and posting it was a good idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

'Junkie' mother lashes out on Facebook after daughter taken into care: 'I f***ing hope all you skumbags out there are f***ing happy'

Kimberley's photo.

A young child who was seen trying to rouse her mother after she fell asleep on a bus has been removed from her mother's care after the video went viral.

A fellow passenger filmed the exchange between the mother, who repeatedly slumps over in her chair, appearing to fall asleep, and her daughter - who repeatedly tries to prop her mother up.

The video went viral after being posted online, with the public calling for the woman featured, who some have suggested was on drugs due to her dozed state, to be tracked down and the safety of the child ensured.

The Department of Human Services in Philadelphia tracked down the family, and then removed the girl - beleived to be 7-years-old - from her mother's care.

Watch the shocking video here.

On her Facebook page, the mother posted this update: 'I f***ing hope all you skumbags out there are f***ing happy. I just lost the best thing in the world to me all because ppl think before they open there mouths.'

The mother has not been charged with any criminal activity, but according to a police spokesman they are still investigating the situation and have not ruled out making an arrest.

The 26-year-old woman has previous convictions relating to theft, disorderly conduct and promoting prostitution whilst being in prison

Still does not say why the child was removed.

However, due to this woman's past, seems she is in need of some serious help.

I hope that sweet little girl is in good hands.

The asshat who filmed this......................pisses me off that people are so quick to film and post and hide behind that camera instead of doing something at the time they see these things happening.

Yeah, yeah, if he/she had not filmed and posted this mother would not be up for mother of the year award.  

We are all so damn quick to want to be internet famous we forget we are dealing with real people, especially kids.

diamondprnces
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Great 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Quoting lilblu399: Considering the Philly police never came when I made a call about some woman punching her kid in the chest and slamming him into a wall, recording and posting it was a good idea.

I could see having posted it with this intent, after trying to help.  And yes, looks like posting it was a good idea but the intent with these people matters.  Most are just looking for 15 mins of fame instead of anything else.  Otherwise, the person who filmed this would have done more than just sit there with their phone focused.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)