Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

'Humane Cosmetics Act' Would Ban Cosmetic Testing on Animals in U.S.

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:25 PM
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this

'Humane Cosmetics Act' Would Ban Cosmetic Testing on Animals in U.S.

article image

Congressman Jim Moran (D-8th) has introduced H.R. 4148, the “Humane Cosmetics Act,” which would prohibit animal testing in the U.S. cosmetics industry and phase out the sale of cosmetics tested on animals in foreign countries.

"Not only are animal-based tests fundamentally inhumane, they also rely on outmoded science that can fail to accurately predict safety for humans, “The U.S. can and should phase out the use of animals in cosmetic safety testing," said Moran, in a news release.

“This legislation would encourage the use of testing alternatives that are more effective and cheaper to conduct, helping the American cosmetic industry remain the dominant, and humane, leader in the global cosmetics market,” he noted.

"Americans deserve to have access to safe and humane products, and there is no compelling need for animal testing for cosmetics," said Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS).

EUROPEAN UNION, ISRAEL and INDIA HAVE ALREADY STOPPED ANIMAL-TESTING

All testing on animals has been outlawed in the European Union, Israel and stopped in India, according to People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). But although tests on animals for cosmetics aren’t required in the United States and many other countries, they’re still permitted.

More than 1,300 companies have already banned product tests on animals and are included in PETA’s Beauty Without Bunnies cruelty-free database.

"We thank Congressman Moran for his leadership on this legislation, which will align the U.S. with the global trend moving away from animal testing of cosmetics,” said Wayne Pacelle. “We have powerful and reliable alternatives available and it's time to embrace those new technologies and stop harming animals for unnecessary reasons."

Source: Patch

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PamR
by Pam on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:39 PM
5 moms liked this

Animal testing is unnecessary and cruel.  I hope it is outlawed.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:50 PM
For most cosmetics, I think testing is probably
unnecessary, as long as all ingredients are known.
I am in favor of animal testing, asmI'm unwilling to be a test subject.
DivingDiva
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:58 PM

It's way past time for the US to ban cosmetics testing on non-human animals.

lga1965
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Who tests it then? Humans? They aren't as important as animals, I guess?

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Overdue. Totally support this,

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:21 PM

GOOD!

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Until I know a product has been proven safe somehow, I'm not going to be using it on myself or my children. I know its horrible for the animals but until they're using inmates instead, I will continue to support the industry making sure baby shampoo doesn't burn the eyes and makeup doesn't make me go blind.

Proud2baMuslim
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:56 PM

I have never asked or even thought to ask but my niece owns her own cosmetic line. Knowing her as i do since she was born I would say she does not use animal testing. Being that her line consist of make up, facial creams, and perfumes i don't see where animal testing would be of any benefit to her or her products any ways.

Its.me.Sam.
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:02 PM

good.
i can understand testing some things - like life saving medicines etc - using animals... i am not 'happy' about it, but i can see how it is for the overall greater good.  but testing make-up... that is absolutely unnecessary cruelty .. torturing animals for our vanity.  no. no

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:12 AM

Great.

None allowed on humans either, right?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN