Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

College cancels diversity ‘happy hour’ after learning event coordinators intended to exclude white people

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:41 PM
  • 8 Replies

College cancels diversity ‘happy hour’ after learning event coordinators intended to exclude white people

Odd News

South Puget Sound Community College (SPSCC) is located in Olympia, Washington. Amongst the many offices the college provides is the Diversity & Equity Center (DEC), which is described as place, “meant to be a safe, hate-free space for ALL students. It is a place where we can connect with our own communities while learning from other communities. It is a place dedicated to respectful learning, community building, and the appreciation of diversity.” So it’s with that in mind that many are wondering why a planned DEC “happy hour” focusingon diversity would seek to exclude white people, as KING 5 News reports.

Included in the email was a sentence that is especially gaining a lot of attention. It read, “If you want to create space for white folks to meet and work on racism, white supremacy, and white privilege to better our campus community and yourselves, please feel free to do just that.”

(KING)

After anger was expressed over this obviously exclusionary “diversity” event, the DEC canceled plans for it and apologized. That being said, while the DEC’s program coordinator, Karama Blackhorn, said she would have worded the email differently, she did tell KING, “That space is not for white people. That space is for people of color.” Ms. Blackhorn also told the station, "When trying to explicitly talk about race it can be a really difficult conversation for a lot of people. And, especially when trying to openly invite folks to build a space of solidarity.”

SPSCC's campus (KING)

KING spoke with different students of varying ethnic backgrounds. They didn’t like the idea of excluding white people from the event. Also interviewed was Dean of College Relations, Kellie Purce Braseth. She told the station, “It was obviously a mistake. It was badly worded,” and added that the school doesn’t condone any kind of exclusion. Ms. Braseth probably put it the best of anyone interviewed when she said, “If you want to come you should be able to come, that just makes a richer conversation.”

by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
frankiesma530
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Hooray for diversity! smh

maciymommieof3
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:44 PM

“It was obviously a mistake. It was badly worded,” and added that the school doesn’t condone any kind of exclusion.

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT COLLEGE STUDENTS...not 1st graders.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:25 PM

It reads to me that they're telling white supremecists and racists to stay away, not all white people. While they could have worded it more clearly *using kindergarten speak i suppose* it read pretty clear to me.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:29 PM

“If you want to create space for white folks to meet and work on racism, white supremacy, and white privilege to better our campus community and yourselves, please feel free to do just that.”

This here is very clearly stating that no white racists are allowed or welcome. Nothing confusing about that.

What the idiot woman said afterwards is the problem IMO, she should have just stuck with the above *no racists allowed* message rather than her add on afterwards “That space is not for white people. That space is for people of color.”

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Then again, i could be reading it wrong. I just had serious oral surgery and all the pain meds have me a bit out of it LOL. So don't go crazy on me if i'm reading it the wrong way.

Looking at it several times i can see that it can be read more than one way, one way is against racists coming to the group, another is that whites should talk about fighting racists groups somewhere else.

RandRMomma
by Maya on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:36 PM
LOL! That's the way I read it too. I don't think the person's intent was to exclude white people (it is a diversity event) just racist arrogant white people.

But I could be reading it wrong too. My eyelids are heavy. I guess it's time for me to go to bed. Lol

Quoting Arroree:

Then again, i could be reading it wrong. I just had serious oral surgery and all the pain meds have me a bit out of it LOL. So don't go crazy on me if i'm reading it the wrong way.

Looking at it several times i can see that it can be read more than one way, one way is against racists coming to the group, another is that whites should talk about fighting racists groups somewhere else.

reuacod
by New Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:40 PM
I don't think you are reading it wrong, you just need more context. I recognize the language they are using, it is the language of the social justice warrior. They literally believe that ALL white people are racists and we live in a white supremacist society.

Quoting Arroree:

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:05 AM
Yeah, not ok! That girl sounds ignorant and hateful. Not all white people are racists. And what space is only for people of color in a diversity and equity meet up?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN