Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think it's odd or okay to bid on Paul Walker's sunglasses or other memorabilia from celebrities who have died?

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:59 AM
  • 29 Replies

Sunglasses Paul Walker Wore the Day He Died Up for Auction to Creepy Bidders

by Lisa Fogarty

Even if you consider yourself the biggest Paul Walker fan who ever walked the Earth, you probably wouldn't want the unusual pieces of Paul memorabilia that are up for auction on BidAMI.com. For a price, you can own the actual pair of sunglasses worn by the Fast & Furious actor on the day he died in a car crash last November -- along with a few other super creepy, weird items from the horrific incident.

In addition to his glasses, the site is auctioning a fire extinguisher that the seller claims was used to put out a fire at the crash site, as well as debris from the scene. No word yet on how much those bizarre items are going for, but as of Thursday afternoon, 5 bidders placed their bids on Paul's sunglasses, with the highest being $1,729.

Ummm ... WHY?! What in heaven would anyone even do with Paul's sunglasses? I'm imagining you wouldn't wear them, but would, what? Put them in a box for the rest of time? And don't even get me started on the weirdness of bidding on debris from the site of a car crash -- there are few things I can think of that sound more morbid.

Assuming the sunglasses are the real deal -- the seller claims he found them at the scene of the crash and that they match the ones Paul was wearing in a photo from that day -- the only decent thing to do is return them to the actor's family. It's just gross to try and profit from them or to be the creepy bidder who gets some kind of pleasure from owning them.

Of course, this isn't the first or last time an item owned by a celeb who has died has been put up for auction. Some odd ones include:

Michael Jackson's death bed -- The item was withdrawn from auction before it could be sold.

John Lennon's tooth -- A Canadian dentist reportedly paid $30,000 to own a tooth from the former Beatle.

A lock of Elvis Presley's hair -- True, he had swoon-worthy dark hair, but $15,000 for a single lock? Weird.

Elvis Presley's stained underwear -- Thankfully, they only went for $8,000. Which is still $8,000 too much.

Do you think it's odd or okay to bid on Paul Walker's sunglasses or other memorabilia from celebrities who have died?

by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meriana
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:21 PM
2 moms liked this

The personal effects of a deceased person should always go to surviving family members, however they often will sell items that belonged to the deceased themselves. It's not weird that people purchase them, it's always gone on, think about estate sales, etc. The items in museums at one point belonged to or were made by someone now deceased; the items that people collect, for the most part, at one time belonged to someone now deceased.

What I do find a bit strange is the amount people will pay for something simply because they believe it once belonged to some famous actor/actress, singer or other performer they were a fan of. I mean, really, it's not like these items are antiques and some of the items, lock of hair, tooth...good grief! It never ceases to amaze me what people will spend tons of money on and find not only desirable to own but hold as some kind of treasure.

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

This...bothers me. Those items should be going to the deceased's surviving family/close friends. 

Hottmomma607
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:24 PM
I agree.

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

This...bothers me. Those items should be going to the deceased's surviving family/close friends. 

Hottmomma607
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:27 PM
That sounds weird.
But I know celebs costumes, etc. Usually are in museums.
*sigh* Paul Walker was one of my favorite actor/hottie! :'(
Mama2JoshKatie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:28 PM

If the family doesn't want something it's okay. But with Paul Walker I think it's way too soon, especially given the tragic way he died. But if it's been decades and the item was not on the person when they died then it's okay. I have a coat of Ethel's from I Love Lucy.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 1:51 PM

I personally wouldn't do it. To bid on something that was part of someone's death is just... morbid...

supercarp
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:51 PM

It's okay: some people are into other people's memorabilia. I personally would care about it, but I don't think it's creepy unless there are body parts involved, not counting teeth.

I draw a line at stained underwear.

Oddy_Knocky
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 5:58 PM
No. I think it's disgusting and only scumbags auction/sell/buy things like THAT.

A jacket worn at a concert is one thing..this is totally different.
lga1965
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I wouldn't. But if that's okay wth others, who am I to criticize?

SallyMJ
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:07 PM

It seems odd.

But it sometimes seems odd to trade in JFK or Lincoln memorabilia too.

I think it's the buy low, sell high concept.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)