Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Anti-vaccine activists contributing to measles outbreaks around the U.S.

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:31 PM
  • 211 Replies
2 moms liked this

By Arturo GarciaFriday, March 14, 2014 22:40 EDT

Measles

Outbreaks of measles, a disease once considered practically dormant, are on the rise once again, in part because of the spread of anti-vaccine activism, Think Progress reported on Friday.

A report released last year by the the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found that measles cases were recorded at a 20-year high, with 80 percent of the victims being people who did not get receive the MMR (Measles-Mumps-Rubella) vaccine. Many of those who fell ill said they did not get the vaccine because of “philosophical differences.”

WABC-TV reported earlier this week that at least five people have been hospitalized due to measles New York City. In two of the cases, the disease was reportedly transmitted inside a doctor’s office. Officials in California, Connecticut, Illinois, Massachusetts, and Texas have also reported measles cases.

On Thursday, Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler and his wife, reality television star Kristin Cavallari, told Fox News that they oppose vaccination.

“I’ve read too many books about autism and the studies,” Cavallari was quoted as saying, citing an argument long held by another celebrity vaccination opponent, actress Jenny McCarthy.

However, a University of Chicago expert, Dr. Kenneth Alexander contested Cavallari’s argument, noting to the Chicago Tribune that the theory that autism was a result of vaccination had been debunked.

“Her words are dangerous, will result in the under-immunization of children, and an increase in morbidity and mortality due to vaccine preventable diseases,” Alexander was quoted as saying.

Medical professionals recommend giving a child the MMR vaccine when they are 12 months old, and as soon as possible if they have not been given the MMR shot by that point.

[Image: "Doctor Vaccinating Child" via Shutterstock]

by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lga1965
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:38 PM
20 moms liked this
OMG this makes me SO angry.
There is no excuse for this. Science created life saving vaccines for us and a bunch of uneducated nitwits have decided that having a strong immune system and washing hands are better ways to prevent measles, mumps,polo,etc.
Makes me sick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Yup. 

There is science. 

And then there's everything else.

lga1965
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:56 PM
Everything else includes.....?

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Yup. 

There is science. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ziva65
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:02 AM
3 moms liked this

I completely agree.

It is the consequence of a choice- something that is easily prevented. Very sad.

Quoting lga1965: OMG this makes me SO angry. There is no excuse for this. Science created life saving vaccines for us and a bunch of uneducated nitwits have decided that having a strong immune system and washing hands are better ways to prevent measles, mumps,polo,etc. Makes me sick.

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:13 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting lga1965: Everything else includes.....?
Quoting Goodwoman614:

Yup. 

There is science. 

Jenny McCarthy. Believing good sanitation/praying to Jesus/eating organic foods only, etc. etc. will protect you.

Radiating2
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:16 AM
3 moms liked this
Ha, amusing. Already with the name calling.

Quoting lga1965: OMG this makes me SO angry.
There is no excuse for this. Science created life saving vaccines for us and a bunch of uneducated nitwits have decided that having a strong immune system and washing hands are better ways to prevent measles, mumps,polo,etc.
Makes me sick.
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:29 AM
15 moms liked this
Ugh. This is usually what it takes for these trends to disappear. Reality causing huge problems and forcing people to face... Well... Reality.

Vaccine preventable diseases are a big deal. No matter what the anti vaccination propaganda says. These outbreaks are a big deal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VinVanMom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:34 AM
3 moms liked this
My endocrinologist lives in fear of polio coming back.
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:39 AM
I don't blame him/her

Quoting VinVanMom: My endocrinologist lives in fear of polio coming back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting lga1965: Everything else includes.....?
Quoting Goodwoman614:

Yup. 

There is science. 

Jenny McCarthy. Believing good sanitation/praying to Jesus/eating organic foods only, etc. etc. will protect you.

Ahhhh, Yes ! LOL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN