Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Sam Adams Beer Abandons St. Patrick’s Day Parade Over Anti-Gay Discrimination

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:54 AM
  • 121 Replies
1 mom liked this

By Zack Ford on March 14, 2014 at 11:28 am

"Sam Adams Beer Abandons St. Patrick’s Day Parade Over Anti-Gay Discrimination"

Sam Adams Beer

The Boston Beer Company, which produces Sam Adams beer, has pulled its support of the South Boston St. Patrick’s Day Parade over its exclusion of LGBT groups. The company released the following statement explaining its decision:

We have been participating in the South Boston St. Patrick’s Day Parade for nearly a decade and have also supported the St. Patrick’s Day breakfast year after year. We’ve done so because of the rich history of the event and to support veterans who have done so much for this country.

We were hopeful that both sides of this issue would be able to come to an agreement that would allow everyone, regardless of orientation, to participate in the parade. But given the current status of the negotiations, we realize this may not be possible.

We share these sentiments with Mayor Walsh, Congressman Lynch and others and therefore we will not participate in this year’s parade. We will continue to support Senator Linda Dorcena Forry and her St. Patrick’s Day breakfast. We wish her all the best in her historic stewardship of this tradition.

The statement speaks to recent “negotiations” between the South Boston Allied War Veterans Council, which sponsors the parade, and LGBT advocacy group MassEquality. A compromise was considered that would allow a group of gay veterans to march, so long as they wore nothing to identify themselves. The plan was scrapped when parade organizers accused MassEquality of a “ploy… to enter this parade under false pretenses.”

http://thinkprogress.org/...

by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:54 AM

Beer for everyone!!

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:56 AM
2 moms liked this

Heineken Boycotts NYC’s St. Patrick’s Parade Over Anti-LGBT Policy

by David Badash on March 14, 2014

Post image for Heineken Boycotts NYC’s St. Patrick’s Parade Over Anti-LGBT Policy

Famous beer maker Heineken has announced it will drop its sponsorship of New York City’s centuries-old St. Patrick’s Day Parade because LGBT groups are barred from openly participating. “We believe in equality for all,” Heineken USA said.

GLAAD reports that Heinekin added, “we are passionate about equality for all people.”

GLAAD’s President and CEO, Sarah Kate Ellis, also offered a statement:

“A company’s values should be reflected in the events it sponsors. By ending support of the New York City St. Patrick’s Day Parade, Heineken sent the right message to LGBT youth, customers and employees, who simply want to be part of the celebration. Other sponsors who support LGBT families should be quick to follow.”

Meanwhile, in Boston, Sam Adams beer — the nation’s largest, and the one that calls Boston home — announced it is boycotting Sunday’s Boston St. Patrick’s Parade. Organizers refuse to allow an LGBT veterans group to march openly. Boston mayor Martin J. Walsh is also boycotting, but is holding out hope a compromise will be reached.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio also is boycotting the iconic NYC St. Patrick’s Day parade, but marched in an unrelated parade in Queens.

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/...

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:57 AM

Beer for everyone!!

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Mar. 15, 2014 at 5:14 AM
2 moms liked this

Hooray beer!

redneck_kids
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:05 AM

People are stupid.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:45 AM
6 moms liked this

I love socially conscious companies

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:46 AM
8 moms liked this

I agree people who think it's ok to discriminate based on sexual orientation are among the stupidist groups out there.

Quoting redneck_kids:

People are stupid.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:48 AM
6 moms liked this
Bigots dont drink either of those beers anyways. Most bigots are budwiser kind of folks.
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely.

Quoting mikiemom:

I love socially conscious companies

LetoLiebe
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:17 AM
9 moms liked this

It's their choice and they have a right to it, and so do other companies who may like to pull out of support for parades that clearly strongly support the LGBT community and movement, which is becoming more and more politicized by the day. 

I'm just sick of it, and once again I am fully comfortable with my veiw point of what some one does or enjoys in the sack should have noting to do with other things. This goes both ways, as constantly stated. 

I support the parade organizer's decision to exclude any floats that showcase sexual orientation. I don't get this trend of endlessly having the LGBT community and theirsexual personal preffeances and pratices rubbed in your face and shoved down your throat by way of daytime parade performances involving cross dressers and rainbows and middle aged, hairy ass men prancing around in ugly tranny show outfits, gyrating their pelviswhile in womans thigh high stiletto boots. 

Why?  

Why should people be forced to accept this stuff with their children and family present for what should be a wholesome, community event in the bright morning or afternoon sunlight? And why in the hell should anyone feel guilty or shamed because they, as a group or individual, say no to the highlightng and promoting of the LGBT community at just such an event? Screw that. 

Now, I am no gay basher. I don't discriminate on sexual orientation.  Not by a long shot, and people are different and things can and do varyemensly at all kinds of degrees when it comes to sexual preference, but I'm just saying I resent having the agenda of the LGBT community shoved in the faces of me and family at every turn, by the entertainment industry, big government and now businesses themselves. 

Why not just keep your sexual preferencesin your pant's, where it resides and thrives anyway, unless you have been invited to advertise and suppot in the appropriate setting, like most people do. 

How many of the floats manned by straight people advertise strait sexual preference and practices? Maybe there should be some that do, the main focus being on the pride and acceptance of heterosexual interactions and relationships.

I wish people, groups and now big government and and businesses would just stop politicizing it and demanding that the LGBT be validated and supported by the masses and, in many cases it seems, be put above all others at any cost. 

I hope the organizers stick to it and if they do I, for one, would be ecstaticto watch a community parade that does not have a sex show involved, or an introduction to alternative sexual life styles (mind you I said I don't judge people's preferences when it involves two consenting adults, and I would have no right to either), or the promotion of this sexual preference over another. It would be refreshing and a nice thing for the people of the community, especially the kids, to go see.

I was so disappointed with the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade last year....It seemed more like an advertising event for the LGBT community than a holiday parade.

I know it's trendy to support the LGBT community right now and if you don't encourage every and any attempt to do so, especially in the entertainment industry, you run the risk of looking like a big ol' un-hip, un-forward thinking, meany pants, but that BS is for the sheep out there and as much as I love music and the arts, and as much as I appreciatetrue talent and creativity, and all the sacrafice and hard ass work that is involved in such works, I do not allow other people's beliefes or trend setting actions to control what I believeor what I support. You'd be amazed at how many people do though, never realizing that the person's individuality is one of the most remarkable things about them and then just falling in to the role of a yes sir/yes ma'am, whatever you say clinger on idiot. $$$$ always has a lot to do with it, but so does the desire to be seen as relevant and passionate, wich again leads to more $$$$ and more attention that gets you all kinds of bonus goodies.

No thanks. I don't think most people hate the LGBT community or love them to death. I think most people have their own lives and goals and interest and sexual desires to focus on and be happy with and why can't that be good enough for the LGBT community?

Tip to the LGBT community and movement: A cherring squad and support system is only effective and worth a damn when 100% voluntary and not forced or coerced.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN