Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Federal Judge Strikes Down One Of The Strictest Abortion Laws In The Nation!

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 12:32 PM
  • 146 Replies
6 moms liked this

Federal Judge Strikes Down One Of The Strictest Abortion Laws In The Nation

BY IGOR VOLSKY ON MARCH 16, 2014 AT 10:29 AM

"Federal Judge Strikes Down One Of The Strictest Abortion Laws In The Nation"

Share:

google plus icon 

keep-abortion-legal-e1352311380975

A federal judge struck down on of the most restrictive abortion laws in the nation on Friday, ruling that that a measure in Arkansas restricting abortions starting at 12 weeks of pregnancy “impermissibly infringes a woman’s Fourteenth Amendment right to elect to terminate a pregnancy before viability” of the fetus.

The law cut off women’s access to legal abortion services well before the point of viability, which is typically around 24 weeks. However, U.S. District Judge Susan Webber Wright’s ruling “let stand the law’s requirement that a woman seeking an abortion first undergo an ultrasound to determine whether a fetal heartbeat is present.”

The legislature overrode Gov. Mike Beebe’s (D) veto and enacted the law in March 2013, which had initially sought to ban abortions after just six weeks. In his veto statement, Beebeargued that the 12-week prohibition “blatantly contradicts the United States Constitution” and the Supreme Court’s ruling in Roe v. Wade. In 1973, the court found that women have a constitutionally protected right to legal abortion services until the medically accepted point of viability.

Arkansas attorney general, Dustin McDaniel has not said if the state would appeal Wright’s decision. Similar restrictions exist in North Dakota and approximately a dozen states nationwide.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/03/16/3410291/federal-judge-strikes-down-one-of-the-strictest-abortion-laws-in-the-nation/#

by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 12:35 PM
14 moms liked this

good - the christian right wing needs to learn to understand that the rest of us don't have to live in their draconian world

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 16, 2014 at 12:36 PM
14 moms liked this

That point of viability is what many argue on.

A heart beat does not equal viability.

AtillaTheHun
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 12:37 PM
6 moms liked this
I don't agree with that. I think 12 weeks is long enough to figure out if you want to keep the child or not. Aborting a child at up to 24 weeks is just awful IMO, and waiting that long is absolutely unnecessary unless there is a medical reason for it.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 16, 2014 at 12:42 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting AtillaTheHun: I don't agree with that. I think 12 weeks is long enough to figure out if you want to keep the child or not. Aborting a child at up to 24 weeks is just awful IMO, and waiting that long is absolutely unnecessary unless there is a medical reason for it.

I strongly support any woman's right to choose.

But I do have to say, I would think the 12 weeks limit is ample time.  Although, most times, woman are not aware until they are between 6-8 weeks.

AtillaTheHun
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 12:45 PM
2 moms liked this
I thought about that, too. That still leaves 4-6 weeks to make a decision. If it is not a 'good time' within this time frame to have a baby, that's more than likely not going to change on the next 12 weeks either.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting AtillaTheHun: I don't agree with that. I think 12 weeks is long enough to figure out if you want to keep the child or not. Aborting a child at up to 24 weeks is just awful IMO, and waiting that long is absolutely unnecessary unless there is a medical reason for it.

I strongly support any woman's right to choose.

But I do have to say, I would think the 12 weeks limit is ample time.  Although, most times, woman are not aware until they are between 6-8 weeks.

randi1978
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 12:54 PM

I forget the exact stats, but last I checked, it seemed that over 90% of women often terminate before 12 weeks (usually between 8 and 10).

Most states already have specific laws pertaining to elective abortions.  Blanket laws up to 24 weeks, but some include a sort of fine print stating electively can only be performed up to 18 or 20 weeks.  18,20 wks to the 24 week mark, it has to be medically necessary (with broad interpretations of what is deemed medically necessary).  After 24 weeks, while an abortion can be performed if there is extreme medical danger, the primary course of action is induction.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 1:35 PM
7 moms liked this
No surprise. The law was unconstitutional and they knew it when they passed it. They just wanted to show the constituency that they were trying to protect those precious babies from their mothers but the liberal media, president, courts, constitution, and laws conspire against forces for life.
coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 1:40 PM
27 moms liked this
If half as much effort was put into the economy, education, healthcare and welfare reform as is put into abortion, we could be in better shape as a country.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
A-nony-mous
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 1:44 PM
12 moms liked this

This is why I had to laugh when someone started blathering the other day about "separation of church and state!!" Sure there is. 

I wonder if taxpayers enjoy having a very large portion of their taxes devoted to nothing except enacting anti-abortion laws that everyone knows will be overturned, then millions more taxes poured into appealing which they know they won't win. Imagine if those tax dollars actually went into, I don't know, maybe America's shitty school system? Paying back the few dollars of debt?

Nope. Dozens of states spending what probably amounts to a few billion dollars on these pointless anti-abortion crusades that get nowhere.  

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Good
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)