Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Great Walls of America 'could stop tornadoes'

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:02 PM
  • 44 Replies

Great Walls of America 'could stop tornadoes'

An approaching tornado in Moore, Oklahoma on 20 May 2013More than 800 tornadoes were recorded in the US last year

Related Stories

Building three "Great Walls" across Tornado Alley in the US could eliminate the disasters, a physicist says.

The barriers - 300m (980ft) high and up to 100 miles long - would act like hill ranges, softening winds before twisters can form.

They would cost $16bn (£9.6bn) to build but save billions of dollars of damage each year, said Prof Rongjia Tao, of Temple University, Philadelphia.

He unveiled his idea at the American Physical Society meeting in Denver.

However critics say the idea is unworkable, and would create more problems than it solves.

Threat over 'forever'

Every year hundreds of twisters tear through communities in the great north-south corridor between the Rocky and Appalachian Mountain ranges.

Start Quote

We may not have east-west mountain ranges - like the Alps in Europe - we can build walls”

Prof Rongjia TaoTemple University, Philadelphia

The proposed walls would not shelter towns - they would not be strong enough to block a tornado in motion.

Instead, they would soften the clashing streams of hot southern and cold northern air, which form twisters in the first place, Prof Tao said.

"If we build three east-west great walls, one in North Dakota, one along the border between Kansas and Oklahoma, and the third in the south in Texas and Louisiana, we will diminish the threats in Tornado Alley forever," he said.

As evidence, he points to China - where only three tornadoes were recorded last year, compared to 803 in the US.

SOURCE

~~~~      ~~~~         ~~~~        ~~~~~~          ~~~~~~

"Can you hear them? All these people who lived in terror of you and your judgement. All these people who's ancestors devoted themselves, sacrificed themselves to you. Can you hear them singing? Oh, you like to think you're a god. You're not a god, you're just a parasite, eaten out with jealousy and envy and longing for the lives of other." ~ The Doctor

by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VooDooB
by weird cheese on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:04 PM
5 moms liked this

I rather see one built along the Mexico border. 

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:28 PM
4 moms liked this

Not surprised by your priorities.  You're supposedly pro life too right?  Guess those pesky Mexicans bug you more then death and destruction for millions of Americans.

Quoting VooDooB:

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Assuming? I've stated multiple times here that I'm pro-choice. Not that someone's fetus has anything to do with the illegal people coming into our country and breaking laws every day.

Quoting trippyhippy:

Not surprised by your priorities.  You're supposedly pro life too right?  Guess those pesky Mexicans bug you more then death and destruction for millions of Americans.

Quoting VooDooB:

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:46 PM
Good luck with that.
mlg1989
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I mean I can see how they think it may work but I am skeptical about it. What happens if it doesnt work? Then we have giant walls that cost billions of dollars that doesnt do shit but take up space.
supermonstermom
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:50 PM

That is interesting. I wonder if they are going to build one in a tornado prone area to see if there is a measurable difference.

babie113
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:51 PM
interesting
babie113
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this
they definitely should .just to get some data on this

Quoting supermonstermom:

That is interesting. I wonder if they are going to build one in a tornado prone area to see if there is a measurable difference.

Rhodin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Who would want to live under a 900 ft wall, though?  Even with eminent domain, you'd never convince enough people to let it be anywhere near their backyard.  Also: environmentalists.

TerraIncognita
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 12:29 AM
1 mom liked this
How would something like that impact the environment? Sounds creepy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)