Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Oklahoma Sheriffs Visiting State Capitol Building Ordered to Disarm — How Do You Suppose They Responded?

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 10:26 AM
  • 94 Replies
1 mom liked this

Wagoner County Sheriff Bob Colbert traveled to Oklahoma City, the state’s capitol, earlier this week with 40 other sheriffs from around the state like they do every year — to meet with politicians and lobby.

Everything was going fine in the state capitol building on Tuesday. More than that, “everybody in that building knew who we were,” Colbert told KTUL-TV in Tulsa.

Image source: KTUL-TV

Sheriff Bob Colber (Image source: KTUL-TV)

“One of the senators, who they wouldn’t tell us, complained because we were armed in the building,” Colbert added to the station.

Then he said the sheriffs were given a choice — disarm or leave.

“So we all packed up and left,” Colbert told KTUL.

Colbert said he doesn’t know which senator complained, but he has his own beefs about the treatment he and his associates received.

“We’re the people that protect these people,” he told KTUL.

In addition, Colbert said politicians should be more concerned about improving state business than law enforcement officers who happen to be carrying guns.

“If the state troopers are satisfied that we’re OK in that building,” he told KTUL, “I’m pretty sure that the legislators should have something else to worry about such as the economy or something.”

While Colbert acknowledged that some lawmakers have called to apologize about the incident, the insult will be felt for a while.

“Pretty sad day for me,” he told KTUL.

BizPac Review noted that a different account of the incident was reported in The Oklahoman, a paper which serves Oklahoma City.

When the sheriffs entered the Senate gallery, “the sergeant at arms asked the sheriffs to take off their guns or leave the building,” the Oklahoman said. “But a state Senate official says the sheriffs were only questioned briefly before being allowed back into the Senate gallery, still wearing their service weapons.”

source

by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 17, 2014 at 10:32 AM
3 moms liked this

Bet you anything it was a Democrat.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:03 AM
6 moms liked this
Well, there's only two and one is a woman so, that's all just speculation. Guns aren't allowed in the state Capitol (unless you work there as enforcement) so they should've been following the rules. You don't get special treatment just because you're a cop. Hope they don't come back!

Quoting candlegal:

Bet you anything it was a Democrat.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:09 AM
2 moms liked this

If the rules state anyone other than those working there, meaning enforcement, are not allowed to carry weapons in, that would include any other officers that are not, at that time, working there but are there for other reasons.

If one is so insulted and their feelings are so hurt because they were asked to disarm prior to entering the Senate gallery, that says something.

They weren't asked to disarm prior to entering the Capital building, from what I read, only the gallery.

Sheriffs, or otherwise, are not exempt as they seem to think they are.

One says they left, another says they did not.

At this point, all I can do is shake my head at every one.

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Democrat here! They should have felt insulted! Cops are NEVER without a gun. They DO get special treatment. Whithin reason, I'm not talkin' crazy talk here!!

candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

They don't seem to allow our military to carry their weapons on base either anymore.   That is why Ft. Hood turned into such a massacre.

Quoting dawnie1:

Democrat here! They should have felt insulted! Cops are NEVER without a gun. They DO get special treatment. Whithin reason, I'm not talkin' crazy talk here!!

candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Yeah, it is all about their hurt feelings, SMH

Quoting FromAtoZ:

If the rules state anyone other than those working there, meaning enforcement, are not allowed to carry weapons in, that would include any other officers that are not, at that time, working there but are there for other reasons.

If one is so insulted and their feelings are so hurt because they were asked to disarm prior to entering the Senate gallery, that says something.

They weren't asked to disarm prior to entering the Capital building, from what I read, only the gallery.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Quoting dawnie1:

If they had been asked to disarm prior to walking in to the Captial Building, I would agree.  That doesn't seem to be the case.  They were asked to disarm prior to going in to the Senate Gallery.  

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I was going off of what the gentlemen said.  He said he was insulted.  

As I said, they were not asked to disarm upon entering the Capital Building, on the Senate Gallery.

There is a difference.  At least the Capital Building thought so and well, their home, their rules.  Or so they say.

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

It seems to me that the people who should be toten around guns aren't allowed to and abunch of crazy s.o.b.s who ought not be able to lay their hands on a table knife can get and carry any gun they choose. The country has lost its friggin' collective mind.

Quoting candlegal:

They don't seem to allow our military to carry their weapons on base either anymore.   That is why Ft. Hood turned into such a massacre.

Quoting dawnie1:

candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:24 AM

He should have been insulted but I would bet his feelings were not hurt.  They not have to disarm because some senator thinks they should.   PC crap like that is exactly why Ft. Hood happened.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I was going off of what the gentlemen said.  He said he was insulted.  

As I said, they were not asked to disarm upon entering the Capital Building, on the Senate Gallery.

There is a difference.  At least the Capital Building thought so and well, their home, their rules.  Or so they say.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN