Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Another republican wants to make it legal to discriminate according to race

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 6:10 AM
  • 24 Replies
State Sen. Phil Jensen (R-S.D.) doesn't believe governments should interfere in the private sector’s ability to engage in race-based discrimination, according to an interview published in the Rapid City Journal on Sunday.

"If someone was a member of the Ku Klux Klan, and they were running a little bakery for instance, the majority of us would find it detestable that they refuse to serve blacks, and guess what? In a matter of weeks or so that business would shut down because no one is going to patronize them,” Jensen told the Journal, advocating for the free market's role in promoting civil rights.

His comments come after a recently failed attempt to advance controversial anti-LGBT legislation, which he introduced in January. Under the auspices of freedom of speech, the bill, SB 128, sought to permit South Dakota businesses and residents to refuse services to customers based on their sexual orientation.

Three weeks later, the state Senate Judiciary committee voted 5-2 to kill Jensen’s proposal, which state Sen. Mark Kirkeby (R) called a “mean, nasty, hateful, vindictive bill.”

Jensen defended his efforts during his interview with the Journal, positioning the failed proposal as “a bill that protects the constitutional right to free association, the right to free speech and private property rights.”

President of the Black Hills Center for Equality David Patton, a vocal opponent of SB 128, rejected Jensen's reasoning, citing the necessity of civil rights legislation to protect minority groups.

"The free market didn't do away with slavery," Patton told the Journal.

In 2011, Jensen, a staunch pro-life advocate, sponsored a bill to amend the state's definition of justifiable homicide in a way that potentially would have legalized the killing of doctors who perform abortions. Although the Rapid City lawmaker denied such an interpretation, state lawmakers shelved the proposal after bipartisan concern over the legislation’s phrasing.

Jensen also discussed another recently failed measure during his interview with the Journal -- a bill proposed by state Sen. Mark Kirkeby (R) in January that sought to establish mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients.

Although Jensen told the Journal he supported the legislation , he was unsure whether recipients of other forms of government assistance, like farmers who receive subsidies, should be subjected to similar testing.

"You got me there," Jensen said, laughing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 6:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlelamb303
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 6:13 AM

it does not surprise me coming from the extreme right

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 6:39 AM

Old white guys are the pits.

jllcali
by Jane on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:04 AM
Let businesses do it (except ones that provide necessary goods/services such as medical, fuel, electric etc) but require they post clearly written detailed signs predominantly displayed at the entrance and point of sale locations.
billsfan1104
by Jules on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:06 AM

This has already been posted and you  missed the point he was making. 

HE was saying let these businesess discriminate and he said let them go under!!!!!!

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:34 AM
3 moms liked this

Umm,no discrimination is never ok and cannot ever be made legal again. Wtf this should be obvious to you. Like I said before you blindly defend.

Quoting billsfan1104:

HE was saying let these businesses discriminate and he said let them go under!!!!!!

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:47 AM
2 moms liked this

I think you missed the point and the reasons that Jim Crow laws are not extinct....

Quoting billsfan1104:

HE was saying let these businesess discriminate and he said let them go under!!!!!!

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Most of them would gladly financially support these establishments.

Like Chic-Fila they would flock there.

Quoting Citygirlk:

Umm,no discrimination is never ok and cannot ever be made legal again. Wtf this should be obvious to you. Like I said before you blindly defend.

Quoting billsfan1104:

HE was saying let these businesses discriminate and he said let them go under!!!!!!

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

but that actually wouldn't be the result and you know it. The result would be that racism would again be deemed ok and acceptable.

Nice try though fom the racist right wing. Can't blame them for continueing to try to take us back to 1840

Quoting billsfan1104:

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting billsfan1104:

What if they don't go under? What if the KKK only opened businesses in communities with many racists? What would happen if you give these people an open venue to discriminate against people? The hatred would openly spread! No thanks! That is not what I would want for black people, especially kids!
This guy is ignorant and his views are scary!
billsfan1104
by Jules on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Quoting Healthystart30:
Quoting billsfan1104:

What if they don't go under? What if the KKK only opened businesses in communities with many racists? What would happen if you give these people an open venue to discriminate against people? The hatred would openly spread! No thanks! That is not what I would want for black people, especially kids! This guy is ignorant and his views are scary!

I get what you are saying.  I do not agree with what he is saying, but i get where he was going with it.  I do not think its right to discriminate, but if you are going to do it, chances are that the free market will take care of it.  Chances are if, they live amongst a bunch of fellow racists, no one of a different race, religion or sexual orientation would go to that business.  I saw let them faulter.  Let them fail at their business.  Because I always believe that good overcomes evil.  ANd evil will not win. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN