Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mom Fakes Son's Cancer & Uses Charity Money to Go to Disneyland?!

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:49 AM
  • 21 Replies

Mom Fakes Son's Cancer & Uses Charity Money to Go to Disneyland

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

Sandy Nguyen
Sandy Nguyen
Sadly, it's a story we've heard before: A mom fakes her son's cancer to receive donations. It's disgusting and, particularly if you've lost someone you love to cancer, wildly offensive. But here we are again, learning that Colorado mom Sandy Nguyen allegedly convinced her family and friends that her 6-year-old son was dying of bone cancer and subsequently accepted more than $25,000 in public donations for his "disease." Nguyen thankfully was arrested on felony charges of theft and criminal impersonation.

But you'll never guess what this woman wound up actually doing with the money she received.

She went to Disneyland! Yep, the 28-year-old mom had the audacity and lack of scruples to take her family on a trip to California to the happiest place on Earth, as if she'd paid for the trip with her hard-earned money. And the scary thing is, this is sort of a strange new phenomenon. A few years ago, a mother in the UK shaved her son's head and eyebrows in order to convince people he was ill so she could receive cash. Just last year, 31-year-old Emily Creno allegedly told her 4-year-old son he was going to die and subjected the poor thing to a barrage of unnecessary medical tests to keep up the hoax. And this past September, a mother of seven, Stephanie Weddle, was accused of receiving $2,000 in donations after telling people her child was dying.

We've all heard of Munchausen by proxy, but it's really hard to wrap one's head around how someone could lie to others, and their own children, about something so serious. To say it's frightening and disgusting is an understatement. If convicted, hopefully Nguyen will pay for what she did. And hopefully her children will be put in the care of someone who's loving and responsible. Because convincing a 6-year-old that they're going to die is the most terrifying thing of all.

What do you think a suitable punishment is for this crime?

by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:53 AM

This is awful, it is people like this that make it hard for the truly sick children to get donations. I really think she needs to go to a mental hospital, no telling what she is capable of doing

mommy_2_be_2010
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Make her pay back every penny give her jail time and make her do community service with terminally ill children and adults
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Dang I really hope she didn't harm her kid to carry out this hoax!

candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

There are some sick people out there.

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:06 AM
So sad. The case in my town wrapped up with court uncovering the fact that the lady faked cancer twice with her kids and once with herself. Horrible :(
lga1965
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:10 AM

WHen I think about all the wonderful women who cannot have children and would be wonderful, loveing,caring,honest Mothers, THIS woman makes me so angry I don't know if I could restrain myself if standing in front of her. I would want to slap her into tomorrow or something to let her know how I feel about her. And how I feel about the other mothers who have done similar horrible things makes me just as angry. They're pure evil and don't deserve their children. Anyone who feels any sympathy for them or tries to excuse them is just as sick.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:02 PM

It's horrible that anyone would do such things. People need to be careful when donating anything but especially money. It used to be that people would donate through the March of Dimes, etc but with the internet and such things as Facebook, it's far easier for people to receive donations for medical bills, etc. directly which is really great for those that really do need help but it also makes it far easier for scammers to take advantage of the caring and good intentions of others.

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:52 PM

This just really pisses me off!  What else is she capable of?!

tvschiulaz
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Oh my goodness, this is terrible!  I hope they make an example of her!

PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Jail time and loss of parental rights.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN