Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Christian Sues After Doctor Diagnoses Her Extreme Religiosity As A Mental Illness

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:54 PM
  • 373 Replies
1 mom liked this

Christian Sues After Doctor Diagnoses Her Extreme Religiosity As A Mental Illness

According to Courthouse News, a self-described Pentecostal Christian and a self-published author of books about God and spirituality,” is suing a Cleveland doctor, claiming she was involuntarily admitted to a psychiatric ward after her doctor and his staff mistook her prayers for psychotic ramblings.

The unnamed woman, on the 15th day of her “biblical fast,” became “confused and disoriented” at a BP gas station. “As part of her religious devotion, she periodically observes a biblical fast during which she abstains from all foods and consumes only water. “In the early morning hours of July 10, 2013, Doe was on the 15th day of such a fast,” according to the complaint.

Doe called her mother for help, and was taken to the emergency room at St. Vincent Charity Medical Center where, upon admission, she was diagnosed as suffering from bipolar disorder with psychotic features.

Dr. Saraj Brar, after being confronted with a patient who was clearly starving herself, and who seemed to be babbling incoherently, had her involuntarily committed to the hospital’s psychiatric ward for observation when she refused medication.

After five days, Brar was not confident that it was in her best interests to leave, and sought further involuntary confinement through the Cuyahoga County Probate Court.

She is seeking punitive damages for false imprisonment and violations of patient rights.

She was diagnosed as suffering from bipolar disorder with psychotic features.

by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:07 PM

lol

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 7:00 AM
11 moms liked this

This was posted in here the other day. I agree with the doctor.

BekahBrownEyes
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:30 AM
3 moms liked this
I agree with the doctor. Also what did she expect when she called her mother for help and ended up@ the hospital? I guess maybe she thought her mother would pray away whatever symptoms caused her to call her mother in the first place?
billsfan1104
by Jules on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:46 AM
5 moms liked this

Love how tolerant the left and anti-Christian are right now.  WHy make fun of her???  This is not funny.  Its scary. 

Lottie925
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:50 AM
10 moms liked this

Starvation can cause acute psychosis. Just making the decision to only drink water for 15 days... should land her at the Dr.

She's an idiot.

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:51 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting billsfan1104:

Love how tolerant the left and anti-Christian are right now.  WHy make fun of her???  This is not funny.  Its scary. 

So, are you saying that religious fanaticism is, in fact, a mental illness and that is, after all, scary?

I posted a thread about that once and got beaten up for it. I was anti-Christian and intolerant. Hmmm.

billsfan1104
by Jules on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

What is scary is that she is involuntarily committed for her religious beliefs.  And that they continued to committ her, even after she explained what was going on.  That is not scary to you??  You think its ok??? 

Quoting Seasidegirl:

Quoting billsfan1104:

So, are you saying that religious fanaticism is, in fact, a mental illness and that is, after all, scary?I posted a thread about that once and got beaten up for it. I was anti-Christian and intolerant. Hmmm.

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:57 AM
8 moms liked this

No. She was involuntarily committed because she was acting crazy. Did you see the words "babbling incoherently?" Or do those words equate to "religious beliefs" to you? lol. Well, I can see your point there.

Quoting billsfan1104:

What is scary is that she is involuntarily committed for her religious beliefs.  And that they continued to committ her, even after she explained what was going on.  That is not scary to you??  You think its ok??? 

Quoting Seasidegirl:

Quoting billsfan1104:

So, are you saying that religious fanaticism is, in fact, a mental illness and that is, after all, scary?I posted a thread about that once and got beaten up for it. I was anti-Christian and intolerant. Hmmm.

echoishername
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:58 AM
12 moms liked this
So it's normal to strarve ones self to the point of disorienting effects? She was at a bp gas stations, which implies that she was driving in this state... That sounds a bit like mental illness to me.

Quoting billsfan1104:

Quoting Seasidegirl:

Quoting billsfan1104:

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:59 AM
4 moms liked this

Exactly.  Where's that famous compassion?  Right.  Non-existent. 

Quoting billsfan1104:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)