Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Home Schooling in America is expected to surge over the next decade - positive trend?

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 5:53 PM
  • 414 Replies
2 moms liked this

There is a special coming on about this, just thought I would ask for thought here:

Home Schooling in America is expected to surge over the next decade 

positive trend?

or

Alarming for children's social developement?

by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 5:57 PM
5 moms liked this

A bad thing on all accounts.  A big, stinking mess

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 6:11 PM
8 moms liked this

I'm not a fan. I see way too much stupid on the board to be excited that they're teaching the next generation. I am probably of average intelligence and I do not believe myself capable of teaching my kids many subject matters, mostly math. Bah on math!

krysstizzle
by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 6:24 PM
16 moms liked this

I would much rather see a big change/revamping of public education in this country than a huge surge in homeschooling. 

I do have a friend that homeschools and participates in a co-op type of thing - she teaches what she knows, others teach what they know, etc. That's a homeschooling model I could get behind - particularly if certain educational attainments had to be met by kids. 

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that's not exactly what is happening, is it? 

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 6:27 PM
32 moms liked this

Positive trend.  The public school is beyond help at this point, and they are failing our children.  There is an alarming number of sub par graduates every year.  Something has to change.

mcginnisc
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 6:33 PM
10 moms liked this

I have no issue...of course, I'm biased as I plan on homeschooling in the fall. Our public schools here are horrible..the one my girls are slated to attend has a 3 out of 10...yeah, I'll pass. They are currently in private school and since the tuition has increased significantly for next year, we are going to homeschool for a few years. If the public schools were better we would have no issue with enrolling them. 

There are plenty of ways for homeschooled children to get socialization. We will be joining homeschool groups, plus they go to Karate 5 days per week and Church 2 days per week. They have a better social life than I do. LOL  We will also be taking them on education field trips. Dh and I have planned to take them to DC for a week to the Smithsonian, The Mall, and the monuments. We are also taking them to China in a year for a home land tour that will also be a field trip for school. There will also be other smaller trips taken. 

It's all in how you approach it honestly...if you just plan on placing your child in a bubble and not giving them resources for socialization and higher learning, it is a stumbling block. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 6:39 PM
3 moms liked this

There is good and bad in any type of schooling there are some really great home schoolers,  public and  private schools and then there are some really bad ones.  I don't really see it as a negative or a positve. 

cabrandy03
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 6:40 PM
10 moms liked this
Positive trend. Our public schools are failing and different kids thrive in different educational settings. When teaching at home you can teach your child in whatever way he/she learns best.
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Mar. 20, 2014 at 6:43 PM

While idiots can be found in any group, homeschooling definitely has some winners. Its as good as the parents want it to be and if more parents are unhappy with public schools then I hope its something they plan on taking seriously. There are so many programs out there to help so hopefully this means parents are getting serious about education.

~Parenting is not a Competitive Sport~
slashteddy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 6:43 PM
I'm unclear on homeschooling regulations. If there are standards, I don't see a problem.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Mar. 20, 2014 at 7:02 PM
5 moms liked this

I would replace stupid with terribly under-educated + add heaping doses of possessiveness and fear- leads to a very stunted and subpar education. Kids deserve better.

Quoting furbabymum:

I'm not a fan. I see way too much stupid on the board to be excited that they're teaching the next generation. I am probably of average intelligence and I do not believe myself capable of teaching my kids many subject matters, mostly math. Bah on math!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)