Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mom Says She's Found Autism Cure: Would You Try It?

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:24 AM
  • 76 Replies
2 moms liked this

Mom Says She's Found Autism Cure: Would You Try It?

by Michele Zipp

flowers handsAs parents, if something is going on with our kid, we want to find a way to fix it, make it better, do whatever we can to help them. Sometimes a "cure" is as easy as putting a princess Band-Aid on a scrape along with a little kiss, but other times it's much more complicated than that.

Mom Katherine Reid has a 7-year-old daughter who has autism. She believes she has found the cure for autism. It's something we can all eliminate from our diet and, as Reid says, doing so has shown to be an autism treatment, showing improvement in children within five weeks.

First let's get the facts. Reid is a San Francisco Bay Area biochemist. Her youngest child, Brooke, showed signs of autism at 2 years of age. Brooke had "wild tantrums, repetitive behavior, communication issues, and digestive problems." She was diagnosed as moderately autistic.

Reid first began looking into changing Brooke's diet, eliminating gluten and diary, but then she starting looking at MSG -- monosodium glutamate, which everyone thinks is only in Chinese food. It's everywhere, as Reid notes -- in nearly 95 percent of processed foods and sometimes it's not even on the label. Reid learned all she could about MSG and its role in the body. Turns out it interfered with neural function, and the gluatmine in MSG can create a greater imbalance. So she eliminated it from Brooke's diet and doing so has "completely removed" her daughter's autism symptoms.

Cured. As this mom believes. Cured, as seen in this 7-year-old. Could it be? Could it work? I have to believe that it could. I'm so happy for this family that it's working for them. One doctor went on record saying he would try it with the kids he treats, but he also cautioned that this is very rare for a child with moderate autism to be "cured" by the age of 7. This mom, however, says that 99 percent of the 75 autistic children that she has worked with at her foundation, Unblind My Blind, have "drastically improved within five weeks." I'm hopeful, but cautiously so. I think all of us as parents need to keep seeing what works for our kids and going from there.

What do you think of the elimination of MSG "curing" autism? Would you try it?

by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momto3B
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:34 AM
6 moms liked this

I would try it  - diet can change a lot of things for a lot of people and there is certainly nothing to lose. 

tiffyhamm
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I would definitely try it.  I'm still new to the whole gluten free thing and I'm open to trying a lot of new things.  I'm glad that it is working for her and the kids that she has worked with.  

SuperChicken
by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 9:11 AM
2 moms liked this

Going MSG free would be pretty easy.  Don't eat anything from a package and don't eat out.   I would try it if I had a child with autism because it's a pretty easy can't hurt experiment that might help my specific kid.  I don't, however, believe it is an overall cure for autism.   I volunteer respite services and many kids are already on msg free diets and still have autism.   

nelopyma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 9:14 AM
6 moms liked this

I think it's more likely that her child wasn't actually autistic, rather than being "cured" of autism by a diet.

angelenia
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 9:16 AM
10 moms liked this
My autistic child does not need a 'cure'. He is not sick or broken , he is autistic. Sure, most everyday is a challenge but i still think he is perfect, autism and all and i am grateful that this incredible little person is mine. I don't mean to sound bitchy, OP. Just a little hypersensitive lately from personal....disagreements with.....people who tried to 'console' me for my son's autism. I know they meant well, but i made peace with autism a couple years ago, shortly after his diagnosis. He is extremely smart and imaginative and just the coolest littleboy. Autism is part of him but it does not define him
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 21, 2014 at 9:17 AM
Staying away from MSG will certainly yield excellent results for anyone wih sensitivities to MSG. As a mother of two kids on the spectrum, that's what I see here.
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 9:36 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't think it's a "cure."  Glad if her kid has benefited from a healthier diet.  However, what I mostly see are dollar signs in mom's eyes as she cashes in.   The autism field is full of people promising cures that put money in their pockets. 

lga1965
by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
It would be nice if there WAS a cure,though,don't you think ?
You wouldn't want him to remain autistic,would you ?
That would be like wanting your child to remain deaf even though he could be made to hear with the,aid of surgery.

Quoting angelenia: My autistic child does not need a 'cure'. He is not sick or broken , he is autistic. Sure, most everyday is a challenge but i still think he is perfect, autism and all and i am grateful that this incredible little person is mine. I don't mean to sound bitchy, OP. Just a little hypersensitive lately from personal....disagreements with.....people who tried to 'console' me for my son's autism. I know they meant well, but i made peace with autism a couple years ago, shortly after his diagnosis. He is extremely smart and imaginative and just the coolest littleboy. Autism is part of him but it does not define him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matofour
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this
So, if there was a cure you would pass it up?

I have a child who is dyslexic, I realize it's not the same.

But, if there was a cure I would give it to her in a heartbeat. She may be dyslexic, but it doesn't define her. But I still would take that struggle away if I could.

It's like if my kids was diagnosed with cancer, I wouldn't say, oh well, cancer is who my child is. I would do everything nj my power to cure it.

Don't understand why autism is any different.

Quoting angelenia: My autistic child does not need a 'cure'. He is not sick or broken , he is autistic. Sure, most everyday is a challenge but i still think he is perfect, autism and all and i am grateful that this incredible little person is mine. I don't mean to sound bitchy, OP. Just a little hypersensitive lately from personal....disagreements with.....people who tried to 'console' me for my son's autism. I know they meant well, but i made peace with autism a couple years ago, shortly after his diagnosis. He is extremely smart and imaginative and just the coolest littleboy. Autism is part of him but it does not define him
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Strange as it may sound, there are people who choose not to cure deafness. They see it as integral to their identities and they have lost nothing to the hearing world.
I personally don't agree with keeping someone deaf because that's such a vital sense. Autism is a little different. Also placement on the spectrum is different. There are those who are totally unable or unwilling to communicate or anything really, then there are those who would have been seen as eccentric or quirky in an earlier day. The latter are usually functional and their quirks are as much a part of their identity as their handwriting and personal feelings on blueberry pancake syrup.

Quoting lga1965: It would be nice if there WAS a cure,though,don't you think ?
You wouldn't want him to remain autistic,would you ?
That would be like wanting your child to remain deaf even though he could be made to hear with the,aid of surgery.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)