Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Creationists demand equal airtime on Neil deGrasse Tyson's ‘Cosmos' to provide ‘balance'

Posted by   + Show Post

Creationists demand equal airtime on Neil deGrasse Tyson's ‘Cosmos' to provide ‘balance'

By Travis Gettys
Friday, March 21, 2014 14:10 EDT
Neil deGrasse Tyson via Flickr user John Roling

• Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

Creationists held a pity party for themselves Thursday because "Cosmos" isn't being fair and balanced to their beliefs.

"Creationists aren't even on the radar screen for them, they wouldn't even consider us plausible at all," said Danny Falkner, of Answers In Genesis, which has previously complained about the show.

Falkner appeared Thursday on "The Janet Mefford Show" to complain the Fox television series and its host, Neil deGrasse Tyson, had marginalized those with dissenting views on accepted scientific truths, reported Right Wing Watch.

"I don't recall seeing any interviews with people - that may yet come - but it's based upon the narration from the host and then various types of little video clips of various things, cartoons and things like that," Falkner said.

Mefferd said the show should at least offer viewers a false compromise.

"Boy, but when you have so many scientists who simply do not accept Darwinian evolution, it seems to me that that might be something to throw in there, you know, the old, ‘some scientists say this, others disagree and think this,' but that's not even allowed," she said.

Tyson recently said science reporting should not be balanced with nonscientific claims, so that seems unlikely he would offer that sort of fallacious argument on his own show.

"You don't talk about the spherical Earth with NASA, and then say let's give equal time to the flat Earthers," Tyson told CNN. "Plus, science is not there for you to cherry pick."

Falkner complained that Tyson showed life arose from simple organic compounds without mentioning that some believe that's not possible.

"I was struck in the first episode where he talked about science and how, you know, all ideas are discussed, you know, everything is up for discussion - it's all on the table - and I thought to myself, ‘No, consideration of special creation is definitely not open for discussion, it would seem,'" Falkner said.

Listen to this audio clip posted online by Right Wing Watch:

audio

by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 2:50 PM
Replies (41-50):
12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Sure I do.  I posted a link as request to back up where GLBT's are whining about Disney not having any gay characters or showing any gay themes.  I then went on to comment how CAIR also makes demands of networks.  I then proceed to question if Tyson will represent Islam as being anti-science, noting Islam's views are in line with creationist and Islam is forcing schools in the UK teach creationism.  

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

I don't think you understand what you posted

Quoting 12hellokitty:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2011/01/31/why-cant-disney-and-nickelodeon-push-gay-agenda

Muslim organization CAIR often demands shows not represent Muslims in any type of negative way.  I highly doubt Tyson will reference Islam as being anti-science.  Which considering in the UK Muslims are forcing public schools to teach creationism along with demanding universities allow Muslim medical students to sit out on any teachings that go against Islam.  

Quoting autodidact:

link? 

Quoting 12hellokitty:

GLBT's activist demanded representation on many shows.  They basically concluded it was homophobic to not include GLBT characters or themes.  

Quoting autodidact:

they are demanding time on specific shows? I don't think so. 

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

eh

no different than other groups demanding more representation on tv

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you ever stay on topic - what the fuck does this have to do wtih the subject in the OP?

Quoting 12hellokitty:

GLBT's activist demanded representation on many shows.  They basically concluded it was homophobic to not include GLBT characters or themes.  

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

eh

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Who said that?  The show is being promoted to all countries not just America.  Tyson has already been called out for getting his facts wrong in the first episode, so.....

EDIT I don't support Creationism.

Quoting AdrianneHill: So it's only bad if Muslims do it? Or because Muslims do it too in other countries, no one in America can complain when fundamental Christians try to push science into the background in favor of superstition?
Quoting 12hellokitty:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2011/01/31/why-cant-disney-and-nickelodeon-push-gay-agenda

Muslim organization CAIR often demands shows not represent Muslims in any type of negative way.  I highly doubt Tyson will reference Islam as being anti-science.  Which considering in the UK Muslims are forcing public schools to teach creationism along with demanding universities allow Muslim medical students to sit out on any teachings that go against Islam.  

Quoting autodidact:

link? 

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

eh

SuperChicken
by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Oh, Lol.  This is hilarious.  

foxfroggy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Utter stupidity on a par with giving flat Earthers equal time in geography classes. Creationism is a religious belief, not a science, and deserves "equal time" only in a comparative religion class.

babie113
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:15 PM
Thats stupid cosmos is about science not religion they are two separate topics .you want a show about religious views make your own show .stop trying to insert bullshit into someone elses show thats about science .and just watch the creationists scream bloody murder because they dont get to mess with someone elses show .too bad .make your own show .
joyfree
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Tammy Faye of course, has passed on, but she had some BIG hair!

Quoting Seasidegirl:

Just look for the big hair and you'll know you're on the right channel.

Quoting specialwingz:

They have!  700 Club and countless other evengelical programs that are on tv every single Sunday!

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

Why can't they make their own show?

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Right? 

Quoting D-Town: They do get equal time. It's called church. Supposedly they refute it every Sunday between 8:00 and 10:00 am.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 12hellokitty:

I highly doubt Tyson will reference Islam as being anti-science.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:30 PM
Were they shows that specifically were about the exact OPPOSITE viewpoint?

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

eh

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN