Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Is Putting Kim And Kanye On The Cover Of Vogue Brilliant Or A Betrayal?

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 9:56 AM
  • 45 Replies

I'm not the person to ask about the history of Vogue, or its editorial mission.  What I do know I mostly got from watching the "Devil Wears Prada."  I do read it from time to time, although reading it isn't really a fair description either; it's more like I turn the glossy pages oooing at clothes I'll never get to wear because they are astronomically expensive and appropriate for absolutely no event in my life.

I look at Vogue the way I look at a Sotheby's catalogue of castles in Provence and mansions in the Hamptons.   I'm indulging in an unattainable fantasy world of beauty and objets d'art.  There's nothing real about it.

Then, this month, there they are; the most realistic people on the planet:  Kim and Kanye.  The dream team?  Really?  I don't know about you, but there is nothing about either one of them or their lives that I fantasize about. You all know what I'm talking about; there is no need to list all of their questionable decisions and endlessly moral shifting compass moments, they are the epitome of too much information.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the decision to put them on the cover.  They will sell.  They will arouse controversy.  Kim gets her dream cover, and I get my dreams crushed by one giant dose of reality posing on a magazine in a wedding dress...really??

What do you think?  Are Kim and Kanye on the cover of Vogue a betrayal to the magazine's integrity and vision or a brilliant marketing move?  I guess we will know soon enough..

by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PeachySweet2007
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't know if it's a betrayal...but I'm not crazy about either of them and I wish Kim Kardashian would just go away quietly.
freshhelen
by New Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 10:06 AM
3 moms liked this

I'd like the whole lot of them to go away....I call them the "Kartrashians..."  How long do you figure this marriage will last and what do you figure the wedding will cost??

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 10:09 AM
8 moms liked this
I wouldn't say its a betrayal. But... Vogue is high end fashion and most people read it just to get ideas. Putting them on the cover cheapens their brand. They are trashy people, regardless of their ability to buy everything in the magazine.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 23, 2014 at 10:15 AM

I don't read Vogue.  There is no need to in the real world. *shrug*

These two are the epitome of all that is wrong with our world, in my opinion. lol

I pay very little attention to them or what they are doing in order to remain relevant and on covers.  

I can't help but giggle.  All the money in the world can't buy you reality or otherwise.  

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 10:18 AM
2 moms liked this

The two of them have a lot of money, but they aren't high fashion.  But I am hardly Vogue's target market and don't care whether circulation goes up or down.  

Trudestevens
by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

They should put Snowden on the cover of VOGUE, Why. He did the right thing for us all.not some snob in hollywood.

PPCLC
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 10:47 AM

What magazine doesn't want sales?

Love them or hate them, Kim and Kanye will bring in money by having them on the cover.

I am not a Vogue reader and never have been but my oldest daughter has been, so I've browsed through her books from time to time. Mainly advertisements, unless I am thinking of a different magazine?

My guess is that possibly Vogue's readership has come down in numbers and the magazine is looking for a way to bring those numbers back up, so no, I don't see it as a betrayal. I see it as normal business maneuvering.

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Mar. 23, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Vogue is about pretty, they look pretty. It really doesn't change my life one way or another. 

lga1965
by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 11:23 AM

well, personally I would never buy any magazine like Vogue and certainly not with those two on the cover. 

Yes, we will see how it sells. There are quite a few people who think they're really hot stuff,though. And WHY?

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 11:39 AM
2 moms liked this
I could really care less. I don't like the magazine and find Kim and Kanye disgusting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN