Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

New 'Noah' Film Doesn't Include Word 'God,' Director Drops F-Bombs

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 1:35 PM
  • 190 Replies

The epic Biblical film drama 'Noah' opens on March 28, but religion-minded audiences may be shocked to find the blockbuster does not use the word "God" in the dialogue.

In the Biblical version of Noah, God destroys the planet with the Great Flood because it has become so corrupt, except for Noah and his family who are instructed to build a giant ark.

However, The Hollywood Reporter notes that in 'Noah' director Darren Aronofsky's cinematic version:

Noah will rile some for the complete omission of the name “God” from the dialogue, others for its numerous dramatic fabrications and still more for its heavy-handed ecological doomsday messages, which unmistakably mark it as a product of its time.

Additionally, the film rewrites the beginning of the Bible itself, which states, "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."

But "Noah" begins, “In the beginning there was nothing.”

Instead of receiving his build-the-ark messages from God, Noah gets these instructions from hallucinations.

Other movie additions include fallen angels who take the form of rocks and a stowaway.

While Paramount Pictures is trying hard to sell the film to Christian audience, Aronofsky told The New Yorker, "'Noah' is the least biblical biblical film ever made. I don't give a f-- about the test scores. My films are outside the scores."

The film recently premiered in Mexico City where Aronofsky dropped another f-bomb.

According to The Los Angeles Times, Aronofsky greeted the movie audience by telling them that his film is “very, very different” from the Bible movies of the past and “anything you’re expecting, you’re f------ wrong.”

Sources: The Los Angeles Times, The New Yorker, The Hollywood Reporter

by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 23, 2014 at 2:31 PM
18 moms liked this
I actually want to see this more now. I want to be entertained at the movies, not preached to.
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 2:52 PM
18 moms liked this

How can you make a Bible story without including God in it?  I knew there was a reason I had no desire to see this movie.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 3:33 PM
8 moms liked this

Ha ha.  Telling the story of Noah without mentioning GOD.  Lol

The foul-mouthed director isn't making his case very well. 

jesusismyfriend
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 3:36 PM
4 moms liked this
Well i know what I won't be watching. Sigh.
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Mar. 23, 2014 at 3:37 PM
2 moms liked this

I totally want to watch this now!

heresjohnny
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 3:39 PM
11 moms liked this

Movies take religious material and make them their own all the time. That's nothing new. Why is no one boycotting Percy Jackson? Oh, that's right........because it isn't THEIR religion. *eye roll*

redheadstar
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting jesusismyfriend: Well i know what I won't be watching. Sigh.
I read it was questionable and not very Biblical.
tiffyhamm
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 3:55 PM
2 moms liked this

I go to the movies to be entertained.  This movie looks entertaining (to me) whether or not they omit "God." 

vic270
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 3:57 PM
3 moms liked this

How silly is that? The whole story about Noah was his obedience to God. What can be said about Noah without God. I think this is a movie that I will not waste my money or time on.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Ha ha.  Telling the story of Noah without mentioning GOD.  Lol

The foul-mouthed director isn't making his case very well. 

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Mar. 23, 2014 at 4:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, won't be watching.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)