Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama trip to China has big price

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 8:45 AM
  • 132 Replies

Obama trip to China has big price

032114obama008.jpg

Jet-setting first lady Michelle Obama has placed a great wall around her junket to China, denying press access while she racks up an $8,350-a-night bill at a swanky high-rise hotel — a move that is already drawing barbs back home.

Her entourage — which includes her daughters and mother — are reportedly enjoying 24-hour butler service, a private steamroom and in-room dining at the Beijing Westin.

“For the most part, Americans get that the president and first lady usually stay in well-appointed accommodations when they travel abroad, but the problem with doing it — especially now — is there are 50 million people on food stamps and we’ve been in a five- to six-year recession, and I think that’s what upsets people more than anything,” said Keith Appell, a Washington, D.C.-based Republican consultant.

Pundits are also questioning why she is not allowing press coverage.

“Taxpayers want to know that there is actually some substantive diplomacy being accomplished, and one of the ways to understand that is for reporters to be able to ask questions, and publish it back in the United States for Americans to understand,” said Ron Bon-jean, a Republican stratgist.

“It’s par for the course for the Obamas and the Obama White House. They keep the press on a very short leash and in this case no leash at all,” added Tobe Berkovitz, a Boston University communications professor. “The Obama White House has been very successful for years in controlling the media, and shame on the media. They should be demanding to be there more often because it’s in the best interest of the taxpayers.”

The first lady is staying in the hotel’s presidential suite in the Chaoyang District of Beijing, according to the South China Morning Post. Her visit has been called more cultural than political.

“I’m guessing that people would be upset by (the room bill), but we really don’t know what security is needed and what kind of facility she needs. There are certain protocols,” said pollster David Paleologos, director of the Suffolk University Political Research Center.

Others say the Obamas stay where security tells them to.

“She doesn’t choose where she stays or how much security goes with her. These are just things that are done as a matter of course for any first lady,” said Matt Bennett, a Democratic operative who worked as a trip director during the Bill Clinton years. “She has absolutely nothing to do with it. The embassy works with the foreign ministry to figure out the best place for her to stay.”

by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PurdueMom
by Sherri on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Is this trip taking food out of the mouths of Americans?

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:06 AM
3 moms liked this

Better question:
Couldn't the cost of this trip PUT food into the mouths of needy Americans?

But hey, her mother and daughters got to go play ping pong in China. Win for USofA.

Quoting PurdueMom:

lga1965
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:16 AM
5 moms liked this
Wahhh wahhh wahhh.
As usual.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:23 AM
12 moms liked this

The Obama White House has been controlling the media? huh?

If Obama and family did not travel, people would be bitching that he's arrogant and not a good statesman.

Suddenly, conservatives are concerned about the number of people in need of food stamps in this country? Perhaps a way to help would be to cut down on corporate welfare, right?

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:26 AM
4 moms liked this

Isn't there a budget for these types of things? If so then I don't see the issue.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:36 AM
11 moms liked this

Every President has taken trips like this. They are required. Every President has incurred these types of costs. This has nothing to do with food stamps. A food stamp conversation should include the billions in corporate welfarer that your Koch boys get from the government

lga1965
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:38 AM
This:

Quoting mikiemom:

Every President has taken trips like this. They are required. Every President has incurred these types of costs. This has nothing to do with food stamps. A food stamp conversation should include the billions in corporate welfarer that your Koch boys get from the government

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stringtheory
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:40 AM
3 moms liked this
I wonder how CEOs travel while the workers that help make them billions pinch pennies? Oh, private funds don't count because only government officials use more money than they are worth... I find the argument that the Obamas should stay put because Americans can't afford things to be a misplaced argument when there is tons of money to be made but for some reason remains hoarded in the "job creators" realm.
mjmorrison
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:42 AM

as you ignore the unions and George soros

Quoting mikiemom:

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:53 AM
6 moms liked this

I suppose the cost of this trip could feed many people.  But you didn't answer my question, so I'll rephrase it - were the costs of this trip taken out of the very funds that feed Americans resulting in Americans going hungry?  

I don't mean this towards you specifically, but I do find it ironic that people complain about the lazy, welfare queens sucking the life out of this country and how if one is poor it is because of their own poor choices in life because, you know, America is just full of opportunities for everyone to be successful. . . but put Michelle Obama on a plane after being invited by the Chinese and all of a sudden she is flaunting her wealth and status onto those poor Americans who are struggling and don't have enough food to eat. 

My sister applied for food stamps this week and was still able to get accepted despite the fact that Michelle Obama is in China.  Your post has nothing to do with how the cost of this trip will effect our Nation's deficit, but has everything to do with hatred and prejudice towards our First Family.

Quoting VooDooB:

Better question:Couldn't the cost of this trip PUT food into the mouths of needy Americans?

But hey, her mother and daughters got to go play ping pong in China. Win for USofA.

Quoting PurdueMom:

Sherri

KittyLicking.gif picture by wer4pu
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)