Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

California high school teacher announces shocking gender transformation

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 1:51 PM
  • 194 Replies

ABC Fresno

Gary Sconce, 56 plans to return from Spring Break as a woman named Karen Adell Scot.

A longtime high school teacher shocked students and faculty when he recently announced that he would be returning from spring break a new man.

Gary Sconce is coming back to school a woman.

The 56-year-old married man, who has been teaching science and multimedia at Yosemite High School for 24-years, announced to the entire student body that he was capping a dramatic transformation to become Karen Adell Scot, according to reports.

Sconce detailed in a letter home to parents on March 19 the trials and tribulations of being a “false, phony male” who used military service and martial arts to disguise his feminine side.

“I covered the female inside with hyper-masculine behavior, trying to provide I was not the woman inside I actually was,” Sconce wrote. “I will be legally changing my name and after finishing my course of teaching at Yosemite for a while longer, then will retire as a mature woman.”

Sconce has notched an impressive 30-year career as an award-winning educator.

The former sheriff deputy helped found the Yosemite High's Cadet Corps, a student military drill group, according to the Fresno Bee.

Sconce’s amazing metamorphosis set off a firestorm among some outraged parents and faculty, who argued that Sconce’s decision should negate his contract with the school, since it was inked by a man.

“I see this as an assault on the minds and morals of our children. It blurs the lines of what is right and wrong,” Oakhurst woman Kathi Bales wrote in a scathing op-ed to the Sierra Star, which broke the news about Sconce’s gender swap.

The school district has vowed to defend Scot’s legally protected rights of gender expression and identity, which includes transgendered and transsexual persons.

Sconce’s teaching assignments will remain the same and the school has enlisted counselors to field questions from parents and students.

“This is a unique situation, one that challenges traditional ideas, philosophies and belief systems for many people,” Principal Randy Seals told the Star.

Some parents haven’t waited until Mr. Sconce becomes Ms. Scot to make up their minds.

“Some parents are pulling their kids out of classes and things like that and some of the staff is uncomfortable, which I don't understand because if you work with someone that long, they're not a different person, they're the same person just a different gender now,” student Natalie Choin told KFSN.

The decision has brought his 35-year marriage to an end and left Sconce ostracized at his church and among many of his closest friends.

But the soon-to-be woman likened the experience to giving birth — painful, but hopefully with a wonderful reward at the end.

"You're getting all squeezed and compressed and it hurts badly, but you know there's light at the end of the tunnel," Sconce told the Fresno Bee. "There has to be."

by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 24, 2014 at 2:08 PM
12 moms liked this

Those who are offended will just have to deal with it.  This person should not have to be who they want him/her to be.  Only who he/she really is.  There is no malice here, there is nothing illegal or otherwise.  What is moral to one is not to another.

I will say, however, I can imagine it was a shock to those who knew nothing of this person's inner turmoil.  However, we are not privy to such things.  Nor should we be.

lga1965
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 2:13 PM
Wow.
I'm sure this is authentic but it's hard for me to understand. I have always loved being a woman, can't imagine wanting to be anything different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nixore
by Myk Elskling on Mar. 24, 2014 at 2:14 PM
4 moms liked this

Good for her.  I'm glad she's finally going to be able to feel like she's really being herself.  

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 2:19 PM
2 moms liked this

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 2:21 PM
5 moms liked this

I love that the student shows more common sense than those parents that are pulling their kids.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Mal is a good enough reason for me to love being  a woman!!! 

Quoting VooDooB:

meriana
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 2:28 PM
5 moms liked this

Perhaps since he's apparently planning to retire shortly it would have made more sense to wait until then rather than drag the entire school into his personal issues

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this

So is she just starting her male to female transformation?  I don't understand what the parents issue is it's not like they are married to the man she is just a teacher.  If she is such a great teacher as a male I don't think some boobs are going to make her suddenly become a horrible teacher. 

Trudestevens
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Sounds to me like he hated his wife and is doing everything he can to avoid pay alimony, big time. This guy knows what he is doing to avoid paying his wife nothing before they get deviorced. gee. next thing you know this guy/gay is going to bring pot to school says he needs it for his therapy. OLOLOLOl Most parents today our homeschooling their kids not bringing them to a modern Mind Camp. gee.

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 2:52 PM
8 moms liked this

What the heck?

Quoting Trudestevens:

Sounds to me like he hated his wife and is doing everything he can to avoid pay alimony, big time. This guy knows what he is doing to avoid paying his wife nothing before they get deviorced. gee. next thing you know this guy/gay is going to bring pot to school says he needs it for his therapy. OLOLOLOl Most parents today our homeschooling their kids not bringing them to a modern Mind Camp. gee.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN