Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

School district's new plan...

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 3:49 PM
  • 60 Replies

Our school district exceeded it's allowed calamity days by 5 days so far this year (weather). The state tried to pass an exemption for this year only and up the allowable days so that there would be no time to make up. It did not pass. I agree with this. Why have a set limit if you're just going to change it to fit the situation?

Saturday morning the school board decided on a plan to make these days up. Starting Wednesday all of the elementary schools, the middle school and the high school will have their days extended by half an hour for the remainder of the year. There was virtually no forewarning to the parents that this meeting/vote was taking place early that morning, we found out by email that afternoon what the plan was and by phone about 5 minutes ago.

There are a number of reasons this is plain stupid. First, imagine the childcare nightmare parents are scrambling to figure out. Then consider all of the high schoolers who have jobs after school. etc...

Seems to me they are just keeping bodies in the school with no benefits to the students. They get what, an extra 4 minutes per day per class? If they had added the days back into the calendar the children would get in those lesson plans they missed.

Obviously I'm disgusted here and quite frankly, to me, they still aren't meeting the minimum DAYS that are mandated. This is the first time our district has disappointed me, I feel they really dropped the ball here.

What do you think about this plan? How would you like to see your school district handle such a situation?

I mean, if I went around sayin' I was an empereror just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me they'd put me away!
-Dennis
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Miller0305
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 3:50 PM
I think it's a good idea, much better than adding days on to the end of the year. Our district did something similar, I'm fine with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tanyainmizzou
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 3:51 PM

If it is the whole district, how is there a childcare problem afterschool?    You don't think daycares will just come get them 30 minutes later?

Miller0305
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 3:52 PM
Also, depending on your state laws it might not be actual days they have to be in school but the number of hours they need to be in school being instructed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Miller0305
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 3:52 PM
I don't understand people who think it's the schools problem to figure out what parents are going to do with their kids after school.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

If it is the whole district, how is there a childcare problem afterschool?    You don't think daycares will just come get them 30 minutes later?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4music
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 3:54 PM

It's filling time, how are they going to make up those lessons in less than 4 minutes extra a class?  It's shorting the children their education. 

Quoting Miller0305: I think it's a good idea, much better than adding days on to the end of the year. Our district did something similar, I'm fine with it.

I mean, if I went around sayin' I was an empereror just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me they'd put me away!
-Dennis
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 24, 2014 at 3:55 PM

This sounds like good plan to me.

It is the parent's responsibility as far as day care and otherwise.  Not the school's.

tanyainmizzou
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 3:55 PM

I was trying to be nice.

Quoting Miller0305: I don't understand people who think it's the schools problem to figure out what parents are going to do with their kids after school.
Quoting tanyainmizzou:

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 3:56 PM

I would rather this plan then the one at my nephews school where they added on additional days, now my sister has to reschedule the day they will be leaving on vacation

4music
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 3:56 PM

There are an abundance of family's who don't use day cares because their jobs are scheduled as such that they are home to get or care for their children.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

-Dennis
4music
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 3:57 PM

and those parents have been given monday and tuesday to figure it out.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

This sounds like good plan to me.

It is the parent's responsibility as far as day care and otherwise.  Not the school's.

-Dennis
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN