Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Middle School Field Trip...to the Shooting Range

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 7:52 PM
  • 311 Replies
3 moms liked this

What are your thoughts on this?

link

After studying the Revolutionary War, students from Craver Middle School in Pueblo, Colorado spent the day at a gun range.

Coordinated by Project Appleseed, a nonprofit  that teaches  history and marksman ship via The Revolutionary War Veterans Association, the kids were shown gun safety and how to handle a firearm. All of them were allowed to shoot at the range with live ammunition.

~Parenting is not a Competitive Sport~
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babie113
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 7:59 PM
2 moms liked this

i wouldnt want my kid going thats for sure

baby development
angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 8:01 PM
3 moms liked this
I wouldn't let my kids go and am suprised the school approved this.
squeekers
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 8:02 PM
23 moms liked this

most kids in upper Ok know how to shoot by the age of 10. what's the big deal. if you don't want them to go, don't sign the permission slip.

Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 8:02 PM
15 moms liked this
My kid wouldn't have gone. Maybe the kids who went already have guns in the home and have been taught gun safety. But it only takes one kid goofing off or for one adult supervisor to take their eye off the ball for a second for something awful to happen.
Arroree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 8:02 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting babie113:

i wouldnt want my kid going thats for sure

Agreed. Way too much room for an accident with that many kids around all those firearms. And with live ammo, they're just asking for someone to get hurt.

I'll pass thanks.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Quoting Luvnlogic: My kid wouldn't have gone. Maybe the kids who went already have guns in the home and have been taught gun safety. But it only takes one kid goofing off or for one adult supervisor to take their eye off the ball for a second for something awful to happen.

Exactly

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Mar. 24, 2014 at 8:05 PM
4 moms liked this

That is one permission slip I would not be signing.  

disneymom2two
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't sign that permission slip.  My son did go to a shooting range with my husband where they shot antique guns but going with a whole class of kids? No thanks.

lga1965
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

That wouldn't happen in schools I ever attended or my kids' schools. I would not allow them to go if anyone ever planned this kind of activity. There could be some accidents. Lots of teens with guns who like to joke around and be smart a$$es.

Ridiculous idea.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 8:09 PM
6 moms liked this

Nope, would not be signing that permission slip. If parents want their kids to know how to handle and shoot guns, they're perfectly capable of taking said kids to gun safety classes and the gun range themselves

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)