Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Urban farming...............yay or nay?

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 3:23 PM
  • 86 Replies
3 moms liked this

Quote:

Council OKs urban farming

Restrictions on small livestock lifted

Growing, raising and selling your own food just got easier in Spokane.

City Council members agreed Monday to lift zoning restrictions on small livestock and allow unlicensed produce stands in residential neighborhoods, a move backers hope will encourage more urban farming and sustainable lifestyles.

“If you grow it on site, you can sell it on site,” said Council President Ben Stuckart, who led the push to draft the urban farming plan.

The market gardens portion of the plan won unanimous council approval, but support for easing livestock restrictions cleared on a narrower 4-3 vote. Councilmen Mike Allen, Mike Fagan and Steve Salvatori opposed the livestock provisions.

The votes came after more than an hour of mostly supportive public testimony from Spokane residents.

Under the plan, small livestock such as goats, sheep and pigs are allowed in residential neighborhoods but those wanting to keep farm animals in their backyards are required to obtain an animal-keeping certification through Washington State University’s extension program. Chickens also are allowed but are exempt from the educational requirement. Roosters are banned.

Additionally, the sale of locally produced fruits, vegetables and eggs is exempt from zoning restrictions.

The number of farm animals would be capped based on the size of a property, and wouldn’t count against the maximum number of pets allowed per residential lot. The rules would allow one chicken (or turkey, duck or other fowl) for every 1,000 square feet of property or one small livestock, such as a goat or sheep, for every 2,500 square feet of property.

Goats and sheep “excluding large meat breeds” would be allowed in all residential zones. Some small pig breeds also would be allowed. Male sheep and goats would have to be neutered and de-scented.

The plan is modeled after similar efforts in Toronto, Cleveland and Portland.

“I’m not expecting this to replace going to the grocery store,” Councilman Jon Snyder said. “But what I am expecting is that it can begin reversing this decades-long disconnect … between us and our food.”

Opponents of the livestock provision warned that hooved animals are too smelly for the close confines of urban neighborhoods.

“If it was just chickens, I’d support that,” said Allen, who cautioned that the requirement for a 5-foot setback from the property line was too little. “If you want those kinds of farm animals, move to the county.”

The ordinance requires the council to review the livestock portion of the plan in one year and the market gardens provision in two years.

Link to the story is HERE.

by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VooDooB
by weird cheese on Mar. 25, 2014 at 3:26 PM
8 moms liked this

YAY.

survivorinohio
by René on Mar. 25, 2014 at 3:30 PM
3 moms liked this

Excellent graphic!  I am posting that on fb if you dont mind.

Quoting VooDooB:

YAY.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

survivorinohio
by René on Mar. 25, 2014 at 3:31 PM
2 moms liked this

Yay!  I would love it if my city did this.  I would totally have chickens.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

SuperChicken
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm all for veggie gardens, but I wouldn't be happy if my neighbors had goats, sheep and fowl.  They smell.  

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 25, 2014 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SuperChicken:

I'm all for veggie gardens, but I wouldn't be happy if my neighbors had goats, sheep and fowl.  They smell.  

I can imagine many people are going to take issue with having these animals.  Most will tend to them properly but those few that won't.....huge issues on the horizon.

I am all for it, every aspect of it.  I only wish I was in a position to have more than just the garden.

SuperChicken
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 3:36 PM

They are allowed here - but only a few homes have them.  Those homes smell.  Although, being the nimby I am I have brought my son by to see the animals. lol.  The people were very friendly. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting SuperChicken:

I can imagine many people are going to take issue with having these animals.  Most will tend to them properly but those few that won't.....huge issues on the horizon.

I am all for it, every aspect of it.  I only wish I was in a position to have more than just the garden.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 3:43 PM
5 moms liked this

As an urban farmer myself i have to say yay!

Our livestock consists of quails, rabbits, and in April catfish.

This will be our first year where we have enough veggies to sustain us for the summer and do some canning (not enough to last all winter though). We're just now starting to work on fruits. Our peach tree and raspberries should start producing this year. We have ample strawberries, we get grapes from our neighbor and pears and apple are available at a couple of public parks.

And before anyone tries to play the small yard card...i live on a 4000 square foot lot next to the freeway.

nelopyma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I'm good with gardens.  Animals?  Not so much.  People can't even keep dogs on leashes and pick up poop... can we hope they'll contain other animals?

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Mar. 25, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Yaaaaaaaay!

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Mar. 25, 2014 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you have other concerns along with smell?

Is it for all animals equally? Are some better than others?

(I ask because I'm draftin urban agriculture language for my city -I'm trying to cover every possible base. I need to know what people's objections are) :)

Quoting SuperChicken:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)