Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

15,000 Aborted And Miscarried Fetuses Incinerated To Heat Hospitals

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:06 AM
  • 20 Replies

15,000 Aborted And Miscarried Fetuses Incinerated To Heat UK Hospitals

article image

The remains of more than 15,000 aborted and miscarried fetuses were incinerated as “clinical waste” at British hospitals, some of which use “waste-to-energy” systems that generate heat for the facility.

At least 15,500 fetal remains were incinerated by 27 National Health Service trusts in the last two years, according to a recent investigation by the Channel 4 news program “Dispatches.”

Ten NHS trusts admitted to burning fetal remains with their garbage. Two other hospitals burned fetal remains in waste-to-energy systems.

The Department of Health issued a ban on the practice this past Sunday night.

“This practice is totally unacceptable,” said Health Minister Dr. Dan Poulter. “While the vast majority of hospitals are acting in the appropriate way, that must be the case for all hospitals, and the Human Tissue Authority has now been asked to ensure that it acts on this issue without delay.”

Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge, one of the nation’s leading hospitals, incinerated 797 fetuses that were under 13 weeks gestation in its waste-to-energy system. Meanwhile, mothers were told that the babies were “cremated.”

Ipswich Hospital Trust incinerated 1,101 remains from 2011 to 2013 in its waste-to-energy system, which is operated by a private contractor.

The hospital said it was shocked to learn of the practice.

“The Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust does not incinerate fetal remains,” said an Ipswich spokeswoman. She added that the trust “takes great care over fetal remains.”

“I am disappointed trusts may not be informing or consulting women and their families,” said Chief Inspector of Hospitals Sir Mike Richards. “This breaches our standard on respecting and involving people who use services and I’m keen for 'Dispatches' to share their evidence with us. We scrutinize information of concern and can inspect unannounced, if required.”

Sources: The Telegraph, Washington Times

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:37 AM

When respect for life is gone.............

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:53 AM
5 moms liked this
This was posted earlier, the tissue from abortions is medical waste, which is routinely incinerated. What would people suggest they do with it?

When I had my 13w miscarriage, I knew that any tissue that I passed or they recovered during my d&c (I was hemorrhaging) would be cremated/incinerated. At our local hospital they keep those remains separate and inter them in the children's section of a local cemetery.

I actually would have no issue if they'd used a waste to energy system during the cremation/incineration of my very much wanted, loved, and mourned baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Trudestevens
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:00 AM

I cant believe why anyone would care about this the Nation of England is far worse than this. Our troops caused alot of damage in Iraq over 1 million children died during out envasion. That to me was far worse then this screwed up hopistals policies.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Free firewood!
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Waste not, want not.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Quoting candlegal:

When respect for life is gone.............

At least they're not being wasted and serve SOME purpose even if it's to heat a building.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:50 AM
3 moms liked this
Why is this bad? What would you rather do with dead tissue?
supermonstermom
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Quoting canadianmom1974: This was posted earlier, the tissue from abortions is medical waste, which is routinely incinerated. What would people suggest they do with it? When I had my 13w miscarriage, I knew that any tissue that I passed or they recovered during my d&c (I was hemorrhaging) would be cremated/incinerated. At our local hospital they keep those remains separate and inter them in the children's section of a local cemetery. I actually would have no issue if they'd used a waste to energy system during the cremation/incineration of my very much wanted, loved, and mourned baby.

I agree. I miscarried twice before having our children.  I fell the same about the tissue from my D&C. What are they supposed to do with it.

The miscarriages hurt and I still tear up when I think about it, but the hospital didn't do anything wrong by incinerating the medical waste produced from the procedure.

JaeSung
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:44 AM
It's the fact that the remains weren't cremated, but incinerated.

Remains shouldn't be treated like firewood. These babies are still someone's, and deserve to be treated with respect.
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 26, 2014 at 4:29 PM
What would you like to see done with them?

Quoting JaeSung: It's the fact that the remains weren't cremated, but incinerated.

Remains shouldn't be treated like firewood. These babies are still someone's, and deserve to be treated with respect.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)