Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Middle School Won't Let Girls Wear Shorts, Leggings, Yoga Pants

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:11 AM
  • 147 Replies

Middle School Won't Let Girls Wear Shorts, Leggings, Yoga Pants

Haven Middle School in Evanston, Ill, recently told parents that girls will not be allowed to wear shorts, leggings, or yoga pants because the clothing may be “too distracting” for boys.

Now, parents and students are protesting the new policy, which they believe to be sexist.

“Not being able to wear leggings because it’s ‘too distracting for boys’ is giving us the impression we should be guilty for what guys do,” seventh-grader Sophie Hasty told the Evanston Review. “We just want to be comfortable!”

Over 500 students have signed a petition against the new policy and some girls are intentionally wearing leggings and yoga pants to school in protest.

Patch.com reports that parent Juliet Bond sent a letter to school principal Kathleen Roberson that read:

We are frankly shocked at this antiquated and warped message that is being sent to the kids. Under no circumstances should girls be told that their clothing is responsible for boy's bad behaviors. This kind of message lands itself squarely on a continuum that blames girls and women for assault by men. It also sends the message to boys that their behaviors are excusable, or understandable given what the girls are wearing. And if the sight of a girl's leg is too much for boys at Haven to handle, then your school has a much bigger problem to deal with.

In a letter sent by Roberson to parents on March 18, she stated:

It has been communicated to students that if leggings are worn, a shirt, shorts, or skirt worn over them must be fingertip length. At Haven, dress and appearance are important components of an overall positive and respectful learning environment.

There is a school meeting scheduled for today to hash out the dress code issue.

Sources: Patch.com and Evanston Review

The public schools around here have uniforms but on dress down days, the rule is also in effect that there is not to be any yoga pants or leggings worn (also no sweat pants). I always thought it was because those type of pants have elastic waists which makes it easy for someone to get 'pansed' in the hallway. Never once did I think it was because it might distract the boys. Makes me wonder why our school really has that dress code rule in place- that and no spaghetti straps for girls (probably because of no bra or bra straps showing).

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:16 AM
12 moms liked this

See, I don't get why people get upset when they try to enforce decency standards. Would the reaction be any different if the schools said they're tired of seeing sheer fabric crawling up the girl's crotches? 

jjames1990
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with this. I think all schools should require uniforms.
IhartU
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:18 AM
8 moms liked this

Quoting Woodbabe:

See, I don't get why people get upset when they try to enforce decency standards. Would the reaction be any different if the schools said they're tired of seeing sheer fabric crawling up the girl's crotches? 

Boys should be taught self control instead of having girls being told they HAVE to dress a certain way because boys/men can't consentrate and you might get raped.

Girls and women should be able to walk around stark naked and have men respect them and have control over their cocks.

emelymac
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:20 AM
5 moms liked this

I'm on the parents side with this one. Too distracting for boys? Seriously? What a horrible message to send to girls. 

IhartU
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Quoting jjames1990: I agree with this. I think all schools should require uniforms.

And should they require girls to wear panties under their uniform skirts? I went to Cathlic school where some of the girls liked to go panti-less and let the boys get a peek. How would they enforce it- have the girls line up and lift upt heir skirts?

jjames1990
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:23 AM
Eww well yes, I think that would be a requirement. The city schools here, the girls wear khaki pants.

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting jjames1990: I agree with this. I think all schools should require uniforms.

And should they require girls to wear panties under their uniform skirts? I went to Cathlic school where some of the girls liked to go panti-less and let the boys get a peek. How would they enforce it- have the girls line up and lift upt heir skirts?

Mommy383
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Leggings and yoga pants are not appropriate for a middle schooler period. Shirts that are not too short should be okay though. 

IhartU
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:29 AM
4 moms liked this

Quoting jjames1990: Eww well yes, I think that would be a requirement. The city schools here, the girls wear khaki pants.
Quoting IhartU:

Yes, but how would they enforce that rule without violating the rights of the child? It just seems rules are put in place- you HAVE to wear a BRA, you can't wear butt-huggin pants- just because it would be a distraction to the boys. It has nothing to DO with decency no matter how may times they say it is. What it boils down to is that you, as a girl, have to appear as society has deemed is respectful and non-sexual. They may spin it as 'it's for you own good' but that's a bunch of bullshit- it's controlling women because it's too damn hard to teach boys to respect girls and to control their own thoughts and emotions. Girls/women suffer because men have cocks.

Here, the public school girls can wear uniform pants, skorts, skirts or capris.

nelopyma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Leggings, yoga pants, and shorts or skirts shorter than fingertip length are not allowed at the middle and high schools here.  Leggings may be worn under a skirt, but not just with a shirt.  I'm fine with it.

echoishername
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:30 AM
4 moms liked this
It's my job to instil decency. The school said nothing about intstiling decency/modesty. Just that the boys may be distracted... Which is his problem, that responsibility should not rest on the girls.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)