Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Copenhagen Zoo euthanizes healthy lions. (PIOG ~ GRAPHIC PICTURE!)

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:44 PM
  • 26 Replies

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/03/140326-lions-copenhagen-zoo-killing-animals-world-science/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=link_fb20140326news-anzookil&utm_campaign=Content

Copenhagen Zoo Kills 4 Lions After Controversial Giraffe Death

Four lions were euthanized to improve the zoo's breeding program.

A photo of a lion eating the remains of Marius the giraffe at Copenhagen Zoo.

An unidentified lion eats the remains of Marius the giraffe at Copenhagen Zoo in February.

PHOTOGRAPH BY KASPER PALSNOV, EPA

Christine Dell'Amore

National Geographic

Published March 26, 2014

A Denmark zoo that earned international condemnation for killing a healthy giraffe last month has euthanized four African lions.

The Copenhagen Zoo put down a 16-year-old male lion, a 14-year-old lioness, and two young lions this week to make way for a new male lion from the Givskud Zoo, also in Denmark.

"The change in the lion pride had to happen now because Copenhagen Zoo currently has two young females from the 2012 litter and it is ideal to keep these as part of the new pride and then find a suitable male," the zoo wrote in a Wednesday statement on its website.

"If the Zoo had not made the change in the pride now then we would have risked that the old male would mate with these two females-his own offspring-and thereby give rise to inbreeding," the statement says.

What's more, the 14-year-old lioness was too old to give birth and raise another litter without complications, the zoo said. (Read more about zoos and saving rare species in National Geographic magazine.)

The news quickly reverberated across the globe, with 10,000 stories as of Wednesday and Twitter abuzz with people expressing shock and disgust.

But the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria (EAZA) noted in a statement that the Copenhagen Zoo "has not broken any of its codes of conduct."

Still, by Wednesday morning, 49,000 people had signed a petition on the environmental advocacy website Care2.org entitled "Tell Copenhagen Zoo to Stop Killing Healthy Animals!"

@davesalmoni I support zoos and aquariums - but I'm conflicted about the Copenhagen Zoo. Where do you stand? http://t.co/iowbPQemD5

- Mary Catherine (@mcw685) March 26, 2014

EAZA said that the Copenhagen Zoo "has been consistent in its approach to animal population management, and high standards of animal welfare.

"As a result, while EAZA regrets the death of the animals in question, we recognize the right of Copenhagen Zoo to humanely cull them in line with their policies," the statement continued.

Giraffe Death Sparked Outrage

The Copenhagen Zoo's killing and public dismemberment last month of a healthy giraffe that the facility had named Marius also sparked outrage on social media.

The news even prompted death threats against zoo staff, and was seen by some animal lovers as a provocative response to a campaign to spare the giraffe's life in the days and hours leading up to his death. (See "Opinion: Killing of Marius the Giraffe Exposes Myths About Zoos.")

An online petition asking the Copenhagen Zoo to hold off on killing its unwanted giraffe until another home could be found had received tens of thousands of signatures from around the world. Wildlife parks in Britain, Sweden, and the Netherlands had offered to take Marius off the zoo's hands.

"When breeding success increases it is sometimes necessary to euthanize," Bengt Holst, Copenhagen Zoo's scientific director, said in a February 9 statement on their giraffe's death.

"We see this as a positive sign and as insurance that we in the future will have a healthy giraffe population in European zoos."

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Karmahappens
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Geez. Neuter the older male lion and spay some of the females. It isn't rocket science.

Cmgmqmmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:49 PM

I just don't understand. There had to have been other zoos or institutions that could have benefited from these lions.

Quoting Karmahappens:

Geez. Neuter the older male lion and spay some of the females. It isn't rocket science.

crazycane
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:00 PM
2 moms liked this

Did they burn the carcasses to heat the Zoo?

PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:03 PM

The zoo director needs to be euthanized.  

Cmgmqmmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:04 PM

No, they probably fed them to the other lions.

Quoting crazycane:

Did they burn the carcasses to heat the Zoo?

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:04 PM

I can't really see the reason behind getting worked up about this.  They were both older, and their meat will go to feed other carnivores.

Cmgmqmmom

I can't imagine what justification he came up with that sold this to people.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

The zoo director needs to be euthanized.  

Cmgmqmmom

There were 4 euthanized...the older male and female and then 2 younger males. 

Quoting kailu1835:

I can't really see the reason behind getting worked up about this.  They were both older, and their meat will go to feed other carnivores.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:24 PM
I missed the two younger males. Regardless, I still can't get worked up about it. This is what this zoo does to keep bloodlines pure.
Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

There were 4 euthanized...the older male and female and then 2 younger males. 

Quoting kailu1835:

babiesbabybaby development

Hi!  My name is Jenn!

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Millions of animals are killed everyday and nobody gives a shit...why now?

They are running a breeding program, not a shelter. The should act in the best interest of the population and it sounds like they did.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN