Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hobby Lobby -- the really, really scary part.

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:44 PM
  • 124 Replies
6 moms liked this

So, Hobby Lobby is fighting for the right to refuse to provide "health insurance coverage for abortion-inducing drugs and devices, as well as related education and counseling."

Did you catch that?  It's not just for certain kinds of birth control (which they call "abortion-inducing drugs and devices") -- but also "related education and counseling."

What that means is that they want to deny their employees health insurance coverage for a doctor's visit that discusses IUDs or Plan B.  So a doctor can't even discuss with their patient that an IUD may be best wtihout potentially not getting reimbursed.  And a patient who wants to talk to a doctor about Plan B will have to pay for it out of pocket.

That's friggin' ridiculous.  If there's one part of health care that should be a guaranteed benefit of health care, it's an honest conversation with your doctor about your health care options

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:49 PM
8 moms liked this

Ah, but those good, decent Christians just want to be able to ensure their precious beliefs are protected.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:49 PM
5 moms liked this

Withholding education about any pertinent topic is frightening. Keep people isolated, under educated and frightened- rather cultist.

romalove
by Roma on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:49 PM
13 moms liked this
The other scary part is, if they win, any company can claim religious exemption for anything they don't wish to cover, making a patchwork if coverage based on religious belief, none of it in compliance with federal law. Today it's an IUD, tomorrow it's a blood transfusion or vaccines.
PPCLC
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:51 PM

I see where you're coming from but there's also no guarantee that the health-care provider that a company goes with will actually cover those "counselling" sessions to begin with.

Not all of them do.

Plus, in the course of a routine office visit, the doctor might still be able to address those questions and give that information without having it be anything other than a part of that routine visit. Kwim?

MonarchMom22
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:59 PM
3 moms liked this

I have also read this.  They are pressing to control what a doctor can discuss in the privacy of the office with a patient.  This is very dangerous, in my opinion.  How would a patient know if information is being withheld that they need to make there own decisions?  Even if they want to pay for a procedure or drug, they won't even know it is available, reccomended for this condition, etc.

Also, how is the doctor supposed to know what to talk about?  Do they need to ask every patient who they work for?  What the employers religous beliefs are?  Or do the doctors just stop talking about certain subjects to avoid lawsuits and problems?  If this passes, and more employers decide they do or don't want to cover certain items, this will be a nightmare.

Do you really want to have to discuss what the religous beliefs of an employer are, or their positions on birth control, during a job interview? That is the only way you are going to know what your coverage is to decide on a job and benefits.

MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Quoting PPCLC:

I see where you're coming from but there's also no guarantee that the health-care provider that a company goes with will actually cover those "counselling" sessions to begin with.

Not all of them do.

Plus, in the course of a routine office visit, the doctor might still be able to address those questions and give that information without having it be anything other than a part of that routine visit. Kwim?

I think Hobby Lobby's goal is to turn that "might" into a definite "no."

PPCLC
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Quoting PPCLC:

Not all of them do.

I think Hobby Lobby's goal is to turn that "might" into a definite "no."

Possibly but I'm at a point with the media in general that I won't believe until I see it.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:16 PM
3 moms liked this

this is not all that is scary about this lawsuit - an employer should not be able to determine how an employee chooses to use their earned compensation.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Listen, you can't have it both ways.  If corporations are "persons", then they have the right to First Amendment protections as well as the 1993 Religious Freedom Restoration Act against governmental invasion into the free exercise of religion. 

Employees can do whatever they want, but they can't require the corporations to pay for whatever they want.

In case you haven't noticed, this is already the case, which is why so many people end up fighting their insurance company that denies actually important life saving treatment.

Gee, you are talking about an IUD and a couple of kinds  - of the MULTIPLE kinds - of birth control here. 

But you are really talking about what other Americans can be forced to pay for, as well as corporations, since we have decided that corporations are "persons". 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I am so thankful I am past the need for any type of BC.

I will say, however, these over zealous Christians worry me when it comes to my daughters.  

How is a doctor to know who he can, and cannot, discuss certain health issues with?  Are employers going to screen all applicants, based on their religious beliefs?

This is crossing a line and I have no doubt every self serving Christian who backs this is aware of this.  They do not care.  It is a fight to the finish............. 

I am of the belief that God is worried about his so called flock.  Taking matters that are not their business in to their own hands and attempting to play God themselves with others.  Hypocrites.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)