Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

TN Tea Partiers freak out on TV reporter for covering their effort to block Muslim cemetery

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 6:19 PM
  • 34 Replies

By David Ferguson
Wednesday, March 26, 2014 14:15 EDT

TN mosque opponent Lou Ann Zelenick via screencap

Tempers flared in a confrontation between anti-Islamic activists and proponents of a plan to build an Islamic cemetery adjacent to a mosque in Murfreesboro, TN.

WSMV Channel 4 reported that supporters of the Islamic Center of Murfreesboro asked the judge presiding over the hearing to recuse himself from today’s hearing about an injunction to stop the ICM’s expansion. The motion was granted, infuriating opponents to the cemetery plan.

Supporters of the Islamic Center said that Judge William Corlew lll ruled against them in the initial fight over whether to allow the mosque to be built at all in 2010. Federal judges overruled Corlew and construction proceeded.

The Islamic Center and its attorney John Green didn’t believe it could get an impartial ruling from Corlew in the matter and he recused himself from the hearing.

“We’ll go to another judge because the Islamic center didn’t think Judge Corlew could give them a fair trial. I think it was sad today for all the people took off work to be here,” said Lou Ann Zelenik, a local Tea Party official and longtime opponent of the Islamic Center.

Green said that the “degree of hyperbole and misinformation” in the case has reached a point of true “absurdity.”

In the hallway outside the meeting room, mosque opponents turned nasty, jostling and shoving, then insulting a mosque supporter and ordering him not to film them.

One elder gentleman accompanying Zelenik said that Islam is “not a religion” and told ICM supporters, “You’re the ones that’s lying.”

The Murfreesboro Post reported that Zelenik’s group even turned on Channel 4 reporter Larry Flowers — who is African-American — barking at him, “Who are you?” and attempting to manhandle him.

“I don’t have a dog in this fight, so you do not touch me,” said Flowers angrily as one Tea Partier shoved him. “You hear me?”

Zelenik ran to represent Tennessee in Congress, challenging freshman Rep. Diane Black (R-TN) in 2012 and losing. Zelenik’s stridently anti-Islamic campaign rhetoric earned the contest the sobriquet “the craziest GOP House Race of the year” as each woman tried to prove that she was more staunchly anti-Muslim than her opponent.

The Islamic Center of Murfreesboro was just the beginning of a sweeping plan for an Islamic takeover of Tennessee and the imposition of “Sharia law,” Zelenik said. She endorsed two conservative legislators to attempt to ban the practice of Islam in Tennessee as a form of treason.

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 6:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joyfree
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 6:36 PM
3 moms liked this

blank stare

VoodooVixen
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 6:40 PM
2 moms liked this
My. Don't show the bigotry, idiocy and hate those tea party members feel
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 6:54 PM
8 moms liked this
Holy shit...what an asshole. Shes like the queen bigot. I think she might have a CM account.
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:07 PM
2 moms liked this
Chick is a nut bag.
jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:08 PM
5 moms liked this

Holy crap that lady is nutballs crazy.  She's the one that would stomp on your foot and then scream that you attacked her.

GLWerth
by Gina on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:12 PM
8 moms liked this

Ah, yes, bigotry. They even fear dead people.

angelenia
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:17 PM
Bump
denise3680
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this

well color me surprised:/  But but but there is standing water there and what about the traffic what about all the cars that will be going to the funerals oh wait......  never mind:/

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:19 PM

While I think this article is absolutely correct about these particular people, I have to point out the ridiculousness of the situation.  The muslim group couldn't get a judge to grant them what they wanted, so they insisted he step down because he wouldn't do what they wanted.  What happens when the next judge denies it?  Are they going to ask for a new judge then?

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:26 PM
2 moms liked this
I know you understand the judicial process better than that.

Quoting kailu1835:

While I think this article is absolutely correct about these particular people, I have to point out the ridiculousness of the situation.  The muslim group couldn't get a judge to grant them what they wanted, so they insisted he step down because he wouldn't do what they wanted.  What happens when the next judge denies it?  Are they going to ask for a new judge then?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN