Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Tablets.... Which One?

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:43 PM
  • 14 Replies

I am a single mom of a 6 year old little boy. I work in the public school and am finishing my teaching education currently. I know that I have done research on ipads and there positive impact when used by young children. In the school district i work in, all 6 Kindergarten classrooms have 2 ipad minis. I think these are great and there is alot you can do with them.

But recently my sister purchased a Samsung Galaxy 3 Kids Tab for my 2 year old nephew. This has alot of different features that the ipad doesnt as far as I know. You can use it in kids mode or adult mode. Everything is set by a parental lock code. You can set time limits and alot more that my sister was sharing with me.

I am not familiar with all the different kinds of tablets out there. I guess Ive always wanted to get an ipad because that is waht I am familiar with. But honestly... whats the best value?  what have the best features? What do you have? Whats your opinion?

Something a six year old can use educationally and something an adult can use.  

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I am a Samsung fan. I have a Galaxy S3 phone and a Galaxy Tab. My 6, 5, 4 boys play my tablet often and they love it. I am not an apple fan. My 5 yr old uses an Ipad in kindergarten also. My firstgrader has his own Chromebook in his classroom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:52 PM

my 5yr got a Nabie.. We got her a Nabie JR but she out smarted it so we got her the next step up... To be honest its just like the Galaxy Tab in a lot of ways and a little cheaper if I remember correctly.. Also it sings a Good Night song before it goes to sleep for the night and a wake up song in the morning when Its set to let her use it again.. 

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this
We all have Kindle Fire HDs. We read, watch shows, play games. They're awesome.
OneHotMaMi
by New Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Quoting LauraKW: We all have Kindle Fire HDs. We read, watch shows, play games. They're awesome.

How do you connect to the internet?

Do you pay for service?

OneHotMaMi
by New Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Quoting SilverSterling:

my 5yr got a Nabie.. We got her a Nabie JR but she out smarted it so we got her the next step up... To be honest its just like the Galaxy Tab in a lot of ways and a little cheaper if I remember correctly.. Also it sings a Good Night song before it goes to sleep for the night and a wake up song in the morning when Its set to let her use it again.. 

I saw a commercial for these just before I made this post. That is what got me thinking of it again. They looked kind of cool and I thought maybe I would google them.

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

We also have Kindle Fire HDs. I even got the larger one so I could use it without my glasses. Love, love them. 

survivorinohio
by René on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:36 PM

I love my Kindle fire.  I watch netflix and couch tuner on it, it has built in parental controls called playtime I think, it runs most apps available for android.  Two of the grandchildren granchildren have cheap zekis and one has a Kurio.  The Kurio is much much nicer than the Zekis.

peregrinus
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:39 PM

The galaxy is fantastic.  I wouldn't pay the extra $50 for the kids version though.  Dsd (11) has a kindle fire, which is ok I guess.  Ds (9) has the nexus 7 and I don't have a single complaint about it.  You can put parental controls on all of them

RandRMomma
by Maya on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:58 PM
My girls share an iPad that my brother gave them. There are fantastic learning apps on it.
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Wifi.

Quoting OneHotMaMi:

Quoting LauraKW: We all have Kindle Fire HDs. We read, watch shows, play games. They're awesome.

How do you connect to the internet?

Do you pay for service?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN