Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pastor Who Prayed For Obama's Death Has New Cause: Shutting Women Up In Church

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:20 AM
  • 20 Replies

Pastor Steven Anderson said that female congregants should not speak up while church is going on.

Photo Credit: ptnphoto/Shutterstock.com

Steven Anderson is a fundamentalist Arizona pastor who first made headlines when he said he prayed for the death of President Obama. Now, he’s making waves again by saying he wants women to pipe down in church.

As a video that captured his sermon shows, on Sunday, Anderson asked his female congregants not to say “amen” when in church.  He cited Bible verses to justify his position.

“Now obviously, before the service begins, there’s chatting and talking going on, that’s perfectly legitimate. When we all sing praises to God, of course the ladies should also lift up their voices,” Anderson, who is also anti-gay, said.  But once services begin, it’s shut-up time.

Women are to learn “in silence...When the preaching of God’s word is taking place — and first of all, it’s not for a woman to be doing the preaching, and second of all, it’s not for women to be speaking,” he said.  “Even if they were to have a question, they’re not to ask that question in the church, number one. Number two, even if they want to ask that question to their husband, they should wait until they get home.”

Anderson is the head of the Faithful Word Baptist Church, located in Tempe, Arizona. The Southern Poverty Law Center, which labeled the institution a “hate group” in 2010, said then: “Much of [Anderson’s] venom was aimed at homosexuals, who he suggests should be killed (‘The biggest hypocrite in the world is the person who believes in the death penalty for murderers but not for homosexuals’).”

Anderson made national headlines when he called for homosexuals to be executed in July 2013. In 2009, Anderson called for President Obama to be struck down, saying: "I hope that God strikes Obama with brain cancer so he can die like Ted Kennedy. You know, and I hope it happens today."

Watch Anderson’s sermon here:

http://www.alternet.org/...

by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Lol...

angelizedsinz
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this
It's in the bible so Christians should agree to it lol.
Pink.Frosting
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Not that I'm taking up for Steven Anderson because I personally believe he loves to start drama, but that is actually the way it is in many, many churches.  It's not at all unusual in most churches I know of.

okpondlady
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:28 AM

And this is why I don't go to HIS church.  I will question ANYTHING I want to question.  And dare my husband to correct me.  HE knows better.  And yes I am a Christian, at least *I* consider myself one.  I also work, wear make-up, make box cakes, dance, and drink alcohol occasionally. 

Elkamelka
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this

That is terrifying.

Quoting Pink.Frosting:

Not that I'm taking up for Steven Anderson because I personally believe he loves to start drama, but that is actually the way it is in many, many churches.  It's not at all unusual in most churches I know of.

“Life they say, can turn on a dime. And in a world that constantly shifts beneath our feet, the only thing we can know for certain is how we feel, the love we have, the fear we hide from, the pain we push away. Give it a voice, and the rewards are piece of mind and a peaceful heart.”
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 2:39 AM
1 mom liked this
And for some reason, educated women run from churches like those, even when raised in a church like that.
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Mar. 27, 2014 at 2:48 AM
2 moms liked this

what sort of christian prays for the death of anyone?  A fucked up one I suppose

jllcali
by Jane on Mar. 27, 2014 at 2:52 AM
1 mom liked this
The fact that this guy is still alive discredits the Obama assassin squad rumor.
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:02 AM

From their site

Doctrinal Statement

We believe that the King James Bible is the word of God without error.

We believe that salvation is by grace through faith. Being born again by believing on the Lord Jesus Christ is the only requirement for salvation.

We believe in the eternal security of the believer (once saved, always saved).

We believe that the unsaved will spend eternity in torment in a literal hell.

We believe that Jesus is God, and that Jesus Christ was conceived of the Holy Ghost and born of the virgin Mary.

We believe only in the local church and not in a universal church.

We reject the teaching of Calvinism and believe that God wants everyone to be saved.

We believe that the rapture will take place after the tribulation but before God pours out his wrath on this earth. We reject dispensationalism.

We believe that life begins at conception (fertilization) and reject all forms of abortion including surgical abortion, "morning-after" pills, IVF (In Vitro Fertilization), birth control pills, and all other processes that end life after conception.

We believe that homosexuality is a sin and an abomination which God punishes with the death penalty.

We oppose worldliness, modernism, formalism, and liberalism.

Just seems like another Cult leader seeking attention..

cpittaz
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:06 AM

I do believe this man deserves a very swift kick in the ass and should be made to read the Bible...Because I do not believe he has read it...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN