Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Are these t-shirts offensive?

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:22 PM
  • 97 Replies

Do you think these break obscenity laws? Should these stores be allowed to market these to teens?

http://kffm.com/utah-mom-pacsun-shirts/

Mom in Utah Buys All the Indecent Shirts in PacSun So Your Child Won’t Wear Them

indecent pacsun shirts

An overprotective mom in Utah saw some shirts at their local PacSun that she didn’t agree with. She did what anyone would do. She went in and bought out the entire stock so nobody else would.

Wait. What?

True story. Judy Cox was at the mall with her 18-year-old son in Orem, Utah which is a few miles north of Salt Lake City when she saw a display of shirts at PacSun. She asked them take it down, but that decision wasn’t up to the local employees so she took it upon herself to buy all of the shirts so that nobody else could buy one and walk around town with them on.

These shirts featuring ladies in various productive poses and, at about $28 a shirt, she ended up spending over $500.

She does plan on returning them after a new stock of shirts are displayed.

What do you think? Did she go to far? Take a look at the shirts yourself and tell us, do you find these shirts offensive?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865599569/Orem-officials-send-letter-to-PacSun-disapproving-of-store-display.html

Orem officials send letter to PacSun disapproving of store display

OREM — Orem’s city attorney won’t press charges against PacSun for allegedly displaying sexually charged T-shirts in its University Mall store, but the mayor and City Council want to make sure the company knows they thought the display was inappropriate.

The mayor and City Council sent a letter dated March 25 to PacSun management.

The letter says in part: “As the display could be readily viewed by both minors and adults, we found the display to be especially inappropriate. We believe that this type of public display is objectionable, not just to us, but to many of the citizens of Orem.”

The letter asked the store to think of the children.

“We value our children and do not want to subject them to this kind of public display in our mall,” the letter said.

The correspondence was signed by Orem Mayor Richard Brunst Jr., and council members Hans Andersen, Margaret Black, Mark Seastrand and David Spencer.

Resident Judy Cox purchased $567 worth of T-shirts at a PacSun store at University Mall on Feb. 15. Cox said she was concerned about the messages and images on the shirts. She filed a complaint with the Orem Police Department and city attorney, claiming the display violated city ordinance and Utah law.

City spokesman Steven Downs said the city received many complaints about PacSun and looked to see whether the company broke obscenity laws.

"The city review did a thorough review of prior case law to see if we had any kind of case against PacSun,” Downs said. “We determined that we didn’t, that if we tried to push this forward we would not win in the end.”

Cox thanked the mayor and council for standing up for decency in the community.

"This is not an issue of what is available for adult purchase, rather of a corporation marketing and profiting from the sale of sexually enticing and explicit material to minors," she said in a prepared statement. "I believe the request to PacSun to be a responsible corporate citizen in protecting our teens and children is appropriate, and it reflects our mutual concern for our children, families and community."

PacSun could not be reached for comment.

Cox said she has until April 15 to return the T-shirts.

"I expect they will honor their return policy," she said. "I will check to see what the store has decided regarding selling the worst ones to minors before I return them."

~Parenting is not a Competitive Sport~
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

When my girl was younger, I would not have purchased those shirts.

Neither my daughter nor I would wear those shirts.

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:28 PM
7 moms liked this

I like them. I might be the minority. I don't think the human body should be something shameful. We don't cover the sculpture of David. Each person's body is a work of art with its own design. If those showed c-section scars or some sort of scars or disfigurement I would feel the same way.

Its.me.Sam.
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:29 PM
8 moms liked this

offensive...?.. to me as a feminist and as a woman who is sick of women's bodies being used this way.. sure.
stuff like this is very bad for women and very bad for young men learning to be men.

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:31 PM
8 moms liked this
There is a huge difference in The David and some T-shirt with some girl's ass with a tongue on the crack.

Quoting stormcris:

I like them. I might be the minority. I don't think the human body should be something shameful. We don't cover the sculpture of David. Each person's body is a work of art with its own design. If those showed c-section scars or some sort of scars or disfigurement I would feel the same way.

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Ugh..the first and third are tacky IMO.  I wouldn't buy them for my teenage sons.  However, what clothing my adult sons purchase for themselves doesn't concern me.  I will predict that they would not wear any of those shirts in my presence though..

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:32 PM

I think obscenity laws require 75% of the butt to be covered so no.

I don't find them offensive, but i do think they are tacky. I wouldn't forbid my teen from wearing them but we'd have a frank discussion about what he was trying to communicate to the world by walking around with an ass on his chest.

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:32 PM
I would not allow my son to wear something like that but I wouldn't buy the entire stock.
Lunarprancer
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting quickbooksworm: There is a huge difference in The David and some T-shirt with some girl's ass with a tongue on the crack.
Quoting stormcris:

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:35 PM

I think it's pretty subjective. There might be a huge difference to some people, others, not so much. 

Quoting quickbooksworm: There is a huge difference in The David and some T-shirt with some girl's ass with a tongue on the crack.
Quoting stormcris:

MominCa
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

i think stores will sell what ever they are going to sell. i would not ware them. not buy them. and buying them all might mean that if the store is on replenishment they will get more of the same thing. so the problem would not be solved. Nobody is forced to have to shop at a certain store. just don't go there if you do not like them or what they have to offer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN