Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Stupid School Policies - Not Entirely the Schools Fault

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 12:48 PM
  • 22 Replies
2 moms liked this

Heres my thing when it comes to stupid school policies.  You are seeing them more and more these days.  As someone who has worked in the school system before, theres a few things that goes on that I don't think people see.  Heres the deal I agree that some of the policies being passed now days are stupid.  However, the schools aren't necessarily to blame.  Here's the cycle of the creation of most policies.

1. Parents complain about something (either bullying, distraction of other students so on so forth, etc.)

2. School discovers theres really not much that can be done legally.

3. Something happens (either violence, student attempts suicide, student fails due to disctraction so on so forth, etc.

4. School is sued.

5. School is forced by courts to do something.

6.  New Stupid Rule is created.  

Like I said I understand that some of the rules are stupid, but heres some of the problem.  Parents are not stepping up to the plate.  I have seen way too many kids come and go through the school system whos parents expect the schools to raise their kids for them.  A lot of the time the bullying happens because the parents haven't taught their children how to be compassionate for the children are different.  So we produce these kids, expect them to just automatically get it, then get mad at the schools when they don't get it.

by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 28, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Parents hold more responsibility than most would like to realize.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Mar. 28, 2014 at 1:22 PM

true story

Kaya529
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 1:28 PM
Yup, pretty much and it becomes a cycle. They put in a dumb rule because someone sues them and then when that rule backfires they get sued again. It's a never ending downward spiral.
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Parents play a vital role yes. However, I have a school age child and my voice has to compete with what my son gets from the media all over the place and the media that his peers consume and such. 

I can control the tv and computer and radio here at my house. When he's at his dad's house, it's another story. I don't think censorship is the answer but I can't wrap the kid in a bubble. 

My biggest problem is the WWF, wrestling. My son watches it at his dad's house and I can't stop it. I've tried and failed. My son gets his notions of strength and masculinity from what is portrayed during those "matches". I have done and continue to do my best in teaching him how to be a decent human being and not being a dick to other people. However, mom's voice doesn't seem to be as loud as John Cena's. I do not blame the WWF for all of my sons issues, this kid didn't grow in a vacuum. 

My point is that we live in a very fucked up society and our kids create a microcosm of the society they view in the schools (and at home, on the playground). We can all do hell of a lot more. I personally do not expect the school to "raise" my kid but I've also been personally shamed/blamed for behavior out of my son that he observed on tv. TV that I did not have control over. I can talk to my son and punish him and hand down consequences left and right but I know he'll have to figure this out on his own. He's gonna say or do the wrong thing to the wrong person and I really hope nothing horrible happens. Ugh. 

We're in this together. That's all I've got. 

PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 1:36 PM
2 moms liked this

No the stupid policies are knee jerk reactions to tragedies that occur in other schools in other states and statistically WILL NEVER occur in their schools but the dumb f*cks in charge feel a need to DO SOMETHING, thus the birth of stupid rules.  

Policies against bullies is another thing.  If the school has a zero tolerance against bullying and end up suspending the victim for defending him or herself as well as the bully that is STUPID.  

Policies like expelling kids for accidentally driving to school with a hunting rifle in the car and GIVING it to the school administrator to keep for him is STUPID.  Expelling the kid who had a pocket knife in his pocket and did NOTHING with it but it fell out and another kid reported it is STUPID.  Suspending the kid for eating his pop tart in a shape that kinda sorta resembled a gun even though the kid said he was trying to make a Christmas tree is STUPID.  Suspending the kid for making plans with another little girl to play with their bubble guns for mentioning that she was going 'shoot' her with her hello kitty bubble gun is STUPID.  Performing lock down drills with fake gunmen to provide 'realism' in schools is FUCKING STUPID.  All it does is terrify the children even more.  I wonder how many children developed PTSD and a fear of school from such FUCKING STUPID drills.  I could go on but I hope I've made my point.

Kmary
by Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 1:46 PM
You're 100% correct. I have said the same thing on many posts in various groups. Pretty much every time one encounters a ridiculous school rule, there is a group of over zealous, demanding parents to blame.

I am also a teacher. I have witnessed this cycle (or parts thereof) many times.
Bethsunshine
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 1:53 PM

I agree! The schools make the rules based on what the parents want, the ones who scream the loudest, not necessarily what is best for the students overall. I'm 38 years old and when I was in school, there was very little parental opposition towards school policy and teachers. If you misbehaved in school or didn't do your homework and the teacher punished you, generally speaking, parents didn't go charging into the school threatening a lawsuit. Your parents backed up the teacher and you usually got punished at home as well. Those days are long gone!

MelanieJK
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Well we're not really all in it together if the problem is his dad since his dad doesn't seem to be on board.    Why isn't the "blame" you're referring to go to him,?    It's not the WWF,   it's that his dad is letting him watch it too much and/or not making sure he's not getting the wrong message from it.       You should be making the dad deal with the consequences at school. 

Quoting mehamil1:

Parents play a vital role yes. However, I have a school age child and my voice has to compete with what my son gets from the media all over the place and the media that his peers consume and such. 

I can control the tv and computer and radio here at my house. When he's at his dad's house, it's another story. I don't think censorship is the answer but I can't wrap the kid in a bubble. 

My biggest problem is the WWF, wrestling. My son watches it at his dad's house and I can't stop it. I've tried and failed. My son gets his notions of strength and masculinity from what is portrayed during those "matches". I have done and continue to do my best in teaching him how to be a decent human being and not being a dick to other people. However, mom's voice doesn't seem to be as loud as John Cena's. I do not blame the WWF for all of my sons issues, this kid didn't grow in a vacuum. 

My point is that we live in a very fucked up society and our kids create a microcosm of the society they view in the schools (and at home, on the playground). We can all do hell of a lot more. I personally do not expect the school to "raise" my kid but I've also been personally shamed/blamed for behavior out of my son that he observed on tv. TV that I did not have control over. I can talk to my son and punish him and hand down consequences left and right but I know he'll have to figure this out on his own. He's gonna say or do the wrong thing to the wrong person and I really hope nothing horrible happens. Ugh. 

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 1:59 PM

My son is one person among millions of others who do watch it and get their strange notions of how to behave from it. I'm looking at it from the bigger picture. 

His dad is not on board but we're still in it together since our lives are intertwined through this child we have. 

Quoting MelanieJK:

Well we're not really all in it together if the problem is his dad since his dad doesn't seem to be on board.    Why isn't the "blame" you're referring to go to him?    It's not the WWF,   it's that his dad is letting him watch it too much and/or not making sure he's not getting the wrong message from it.  

Quoting mehamil1:

MelanieJK
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 2:04 PM

But the big picture of your example is that it is a parental issue.      Blaming the WWF won't solve anything because all of those people who you think are getting strange notions from it don't agree.    

Your argument that you shouldnt' be blamed might be valid but I don't see how that is a solution to anything. 

The dad should be feeling the "blame/shame" you say you experienced.   That might change his mind about the WWF and/or at least make him pay more attention to it's impact on his kid.

Quoting mehamil1:

My son is one person among millions of others who do watch it and get their strange notions of how to behave from it. I'm looking at it from the bigger picture. 

His dad is not on board but we're still in it together since our lives are intertwined through this child we have. 

Quoting MelanieJK:

Well we're not really all in it together if the problem is his dad since his dad doesn't seem to be on board.    Why isn't the "blame" you're referring to go to him?    It's not the WWF,   it's that his dad is letting him watch it too much and/or not making sure he's not getting the wrong message from it.  

Quoting mehamil1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN